Reason on Rand

emb021

All-

As some may be aware, Reason Magazine (along with its associated websites) are doing stuff focused on Rand this month. The latest issue came out (Dec 2009), with a cover article on Rand and other stuff. I really liked the one page comic by Peter Bagge. His take on Rand is close to mine. He more pokes fun at the Rand haters & lovers then Rand herself. I almost wish he has spent 2-3 pages on her.

Reason TV has two videos on her so far (am hoping for more).

I don't know if anyone is watching the videos Reason is putting up for their focus on Rand. Overall they've been pretty good and even handed. Was surprised that Tibor Machan didn't bring up some of the negative experiences he had at the hands of Rand et al.

they've also posted Peter Bagge's cartoon that ran in the lastest issue: http://reason.com/archives/2009/11/10/will-everyone-please-stop-frea

As I noted, his take is kind of close to mine. I read her in college, and like a lot of what I read, but some I didn't. I guess I should be thankful never to have met someone like the woman in the 3rd panel. Or met any Rand 'devotees' like in panel 4 (tho his take regarding her aesthetic tastes is close to mine).

His point in the last panel is spot on. I have never understood the vitriol of some of her critics, most of whom seem to admire people whose philosophies have lead to mass murders (Marx, Mao, et al).

I don't know if anyone is watching the videos Reason is putting up for their focus on Rand. Overall they've been pretty good and even handed. Was surprised that Tibor Machan didn't bring up some of the negative experiences he had at the hands of Rand et al.

they've also posted Peter Bagge's cartoon that ran in the lastest issue: http://reason.com/archives/2009/11/10/will-everyone-please-stop-frea

As I noted, his take is kind of close to mine. I read her in college, and like a lot of what I read, but some I didn't. I guess I should be thankful never to have met someone like the woman in the 3rd panel. Or met any Rand 'devotees' like in panel 4 (tho his take regarding her aesthetic tastes is close to mine).

His point in the last panel is spot on. I have never understood the vitriol of some of her critics, most of whom seem to admire people whose philosophies have lead to mass murders (Marx, Mao, et al).

Michael!!

(sigh)

I am afraid that you have entirely missed her point!!! :angry: You clearly need to read her again!! :huh: No, wait....you need remedial assistance to correct your psycho-epistemological errors! :( From the people who know Ayn better than Ayn (they have even corrected her own faulty pronouncements: see the "airbrushing" passages)!

Tutorial marathons (using Werner Erhard's methodology) are waiting for you at the next ARIan Summer Seminar! :unsure: They will straighten you out. EVERYONE agrees there! :rolleyes::rolleyes::huh:

Edited by Jerry Biggers

Gee, Jerry, thanks.

Couldn't you just denounce me and forbid me from speaking to you again. :) That would be more OOist.

On a different note, Reason's latest video is up and its an interview with Barbara Branden. Nathan is someone else they were interviewing, so that should be interesting.

Nathaniel Branden's interview is up, he recounts that Rand was open to trying marijuana, but doesn't say whether it ever happenned. I'm a pretty imaginative person, but my limit is exceeded trying to visualize the episode.

stoned-smile-drugs-are-bad.gif

Gee, Jerry, thanks.

Couldn't you just denounce me and forbid me from speaking to you again. :) That would be more OOist.

On a different note, Reason's latest video is up and its an interview with Barbara Branden. Nathan is someone else they were interviewing, so that should be interesting.

err,...you do realize that my post was in jest? A somewhat clumsy attempt by me to spoof the "OOist" mentality that you were referring to. (Yeah, I know...."Don't quit my day job!")

Anyway, I do appreciate your calling attention to the Reason December issue on Rand. I have not yet checked out the ReasonTV material, but it sounds interesting.

By the way, if you have not seen it, the November 9 issue of The New Yorker has a predictably appalling "review" of the Burns and Heller books, repeating the same caricatures and distortions about Rand that were used in the other recent pieces in Slate, New York, The New York Times Book Review, The New Republic, etc., ad nauseum. You need not bother with the article (although I would not be surprised if the authors sue each other, charging plagiarism). So, why do I mention it? It is accompanied by a page-and-half color photo of Ayn Rand sitting at her desk in her Richard Neutra-designed home in California. It is probably the best photo of Rand that I have seen. Worth a look. It may also be available on their website, www.newyorker.com

Nathaniel Branden's interview is up, he recounts that Rand was open to trying marijuana, but doesn't say whether it ever happenned. I'm a pretty imaginative person, but my limit is exceeded trying to visualize the episode.

I watched that one recently.

A very good and positive interview.

What I find interesting is that overall the videos have been very positive about Rand. Almost too positive. Even from people (NB, BB, and TM) who had negative personal experiences they have been positive.

Gee, Jerry, thanks.

err,...you do realize that my post was in jest? A somewhat clumsy attempt by me to spoof the "OOist" mentality that you were referring to. (Yeah, I know...."Don't quit my day job!")

Oh, I got the joke.

Mine was that if you were a 'proper Oist', you would have denounced me. ;)

Anyway, I do appreciate your calling attention to the Reason December issue on Rand. I have not yet checked out the ReasonTV material, but it sounds interesting.

By the way, if you have not seen it, the November 9 issue of The New Yorker has a predictably appalling "review" of the Burns and Heller books, repeating the same caricatures and distortions about Rand that were used in the other recent pieces in Slate, New York, The New York Times Book Review, The New Republic, etc., ad nauseum. You need not bother with the article (although I would not be surprised if the authors sue each other, charging plagiarism). So, why do I mention it? It is accompanied by a page-and-half color photo of Ayn Rand sitting at her desk in her Richard Neutra-designed home in California. It is probably the best photo of Rand that I have seen. Worth a look. It may also be available on their website, www.newyorker.com

Reason has been slowly putting up those articles on their website. The Peter Bagge cartoon was from that issue. The Comics Journal message board as well as Yahoo Group about Ditko has been discussion it a bit.

Also, on their Hit & Run blog, they've had some good discussions (marred only by the occasional non-libertarian aholes), even discussing some of the recent press on the new Rand books. Some good, some bad.

Its funny that some are complaining about the Rand videos they've been doing, as if they are annoying. Yesh. they announced this a month ago. I hope this leads to similiar videos on other libertarian thinkers.