Brian Bromberg: Bass Mega-God

Rich Engle

If you have never heard of this guy, and you're into jazz...

www.brianbromberg.net

I have never, repeat never heard an upright bassist (he plays electric too) even remotely in this dude's ballpark. Musical, yet near super-human. Plays on an old 1700's period bass. Exquisite tone, has a great jazz trio.

4 stars, to die for.

• 2 months later...

If you have never heard of this guy, and you're into jazz...

www.brianbromberg.net

I have never, repeat never heard an upright bassist (he plays electric too) even remotely in this dude's ballpark. Musical, yet near super-human. Plays on an old 1700's period bass. Exquisite tone, has a great jazz trio.

4 stars, to die for.

I've heard some incredible recordings from Japan, but the one western culture bass player I consider amazing is Gary King. He played with Bob James' group. My all-time favorite was from the album "One" a Roberta Flack number called "Feel Like Makin' Love". Gary's performance on that number is sheer orgasmic. He even squeaks in a few bars of Tchaikovsky's "1812 Overture" into one of his riffs. Amazing how he keps the interest going.

There are a few excellent Japanese bassists too, but I have less information about them due to the language barriers with reading album credits in Japanese. But suffice it to say, there is amazing talent all over this planet. I'm a fan of the extended range bass and love to get down, way down. :)