Atlas Shrugged theme music?

9thdoctor

There doesn't seem to be a subtext to your post, but to be sure, are you implying there's something wrong or irrational about post-hypnotic suggestion? I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. I remember a story (from Judgement Day?) about NB hypnotizing someone in front of AR.

Dennis,

I just saw this (I am finally catching up on the forum). Sorry for the delay.

No, I do not consider post-hypnotic suggestion irrational or bad. In fact, I consider it to be a useful tool if you can pull it off correctly.

I don't think post-hypnotic suggestion was what was operating with Rachmaninoff’s therapy, though. I think it was more in terms of replacing a deeply held negative appraisal of himself with a positive one.

Michael

• 1 year later...

Before music was even written or recorded for the movie, you could be assured that it was going to go through the O-mill, which is, with certain delightful exceptions, not unlike taking your freshly-born child and throwing them into a hot furnace.

And that is because (at least it seems to me) that there is very little in the way of endorsement in this environment rather than begrudgingly halfway ones.

Everything tends to be qualified and sniffed at just enough to make sure you know the qualifier and sniffer (regardless of their experience in the area of question) lets you know they are doing said sniffing, and why.

But it has always been like that, for the most part. It doesn't stop me, and it doesn't stop a few other people, so fuck it.

At the risk of cross-posting on the same forum (something I haven't done in years), for the purposes of discussion, I guess, there would be this, if you are going to armchair quarterback (clearly the way of our people):

rde

Working Musician

Edited by Rich Engle

• 1 year later...

Someone’s dug out the actual recording Rand liked. It’s an instrumental arrangement, a bit cheesy for my taste but good enough. I’m not too surprised, actually, since in the context of the opera the characters are singing this sweeping melody, but they’re being insincere. It’s really about politics: Marina is acting under orders from her Jesuit confessor, and Grigori/Dmitry is trying to raise a Polish army to invade Russia. Also, there’s some irony in all this, Mussorgsky did not want to add this scene to the Opera, but was required to add a love interest by a committee. Would Howard Roark have dynamited the thing first?

Yodah says: Do not your breath hold until made is the -Atlas Shrugged- movie, else blue turn you will.

The Doctor says: do you prefer your crow broiled, braised, or deep-fried?

Before music was even written or recorded for the movie, you could be assured that it was going to go through the O-mill, which is, with certain delightful exceptions, not unlike taking your freshly-born child and throwing them into a hot furnace.

And that is because (at least it seems to me) that there is very little in the way of endorsement in this environment rather than begrudgingly halfway ones.

Everything tends to be qualified and sniffed at just enough to make sure you know the qualifier and sniffer (regardless of their experience in the area of question) lets you know they are doing said sniffing, and why.

But it has always been like that, for the most part. It doesn't stop me, and it doesn't stop a few other people, so fuck it.

At the risk of cross-posting on the same forum (something I haven't done in years), for the purposes of discussion, I guess, there would be this, if you are going to armchair quarterback (clearly the way of our people):

rde

Working Musician

First time I've ever seen conducting knowing absolutely it was a great conductor. He used everything, even his face.

--Brant