"One question test"

galtgulch

<<<"OT One question test

This test only has one question, but it's a very important one. By

giving an honest answer, you will discover where you stand morally.

The test features an unlikely, completely fictional situation in which

you will have to make a decision. Remember that your answer needs to

be honest, yet spontaneous.

Please scroll down slowly and give due consideration to each line.

THE SITUATION:

You are in Richmond Virginia. On the James River to be specific. There

is chaos all around you caused by a hurricane with severe flooding.

This is a flood of biblical proportions. You are photojournalist

working for a major newspaper, and you're caught in the middle of this

epic disaster. The situation is nearly hopeless.

You're trying to shoot career-making photos There are houses and

people swirling around you, some disappearing under the water. Nature

is unleashing all of its destructive fury.

==============================

THE TEST:

Suddenly you see a man and a woman in the water. They are fighting for

their lives, trying not to be taken down with the debris. You move

closer. Somehow they look familiar. You suddenly realize who they are.

It's

Barack Obama and Nancy Pelosi!! At the same time you notice that the raging

waters are about to take them under forever. You have two options: You can

save their lives or you can shoot a dramatic Pulitzer Prize winning photo,

documenting the deaths of two of the world's most powerful people.

============================== =================

THE QUESTION:

Here's the question, and please give an honest answer....

Would you select high contrast color film, or would you go with the

classic simplicity of black and white?">>>

<<<"OT One question test

THE SITUATION:

THE TEST:

It's

THE QUESTION:

Aaww, that's a pretty nasty 'message' given here: not even to consider option 1 (save them). :o

Edited by Xray

• 2 months later...

<<<

THE QUESTION:

Black and white (although I am no photographer). I'd like to consider the "saving" option for a moment: Panicked people in the water are very detrimental to the lives of those trying to save them. They climb on you, unintentionally drown you or turn over small rafts or boats. I'd probably shoot the picture, wait until they passed out from exhaustion or a semi-drowned state, and then drag them onto my raft/boat and take them to shore where additional life-saving measures could be performed if need be. Imagine if you saved the president and everybody knew it. Maybe he would listen to your opinion on the health care bill!

<<<

THE QUESTION:

Black and white (although I am no photographer). I'd like to consider the "saving" option for a moment: Panicked people in the water are very detrimental to the lives of those trying to save them. They climb on you, unintentionally drown you or turn over small rafts or boats. I'd probably shoot the picture, wait until they passed out from exhaustion or a semi-drowned state, and then drag them onto my raft/boat and take them to shore where additional life-saving measures could be performed if need be. Imagine if you saved the president and everybody knew it. Maybe he would listen to your opinion on the health care bill!

RationalRN:

I was going to say that is because all RN's are registered neurotics, but since Rutgers beat Drexel 58-56 last night, I thought you might be on a suicide watch!

You are correct about drowning folks though. We were taught that if you were going to take the risk of saving a person, be prepared to knock them out, or push them under until they became pliable. A person in an adrenaline surge or on PCP, etc., is a very dangerous animal.

How come nobody thought of another option. The ABC option of electoral politics, always be culling. I would shot the picture, put down the camera, take the safety off my Nylon 66 [best pound for pound weapon that I ever owned] and ...

of get those two anvils and yell catch!

Adam

Edited by Selene

<<<"OT One question test

THE SITUATION:

THE TEST:

It's

THE QUESTION:

Rather an insane question. And a photographer at that and this is their profession, Pulitzer Prize...hmmmm. I'll give you an answer based on my convictions as well as one based on being a photographer, one that knows what she is doing. For one, a well seasoned photographer that works for a major newspaper wouldn't have only 1 lens in their arsenal of equipment. My life is above the most important over my career and definitely that of others, especially of the ones that are listed and this would take precedence.

In my own personal arsenal of lens equipment spans from macro, wide angle, telephoto lenses, etc. There is no explanation of any possible safe havens in the scenario. Tough shit to them. Oh, well. My first reaction would be to find the safest place possible in order to ensure my survival. Since I am a photographer, outside of my normal career, and always carrying around my gear just in case, my trusty telephoto lens would do the trick real nicely. Given my camera is over 21 million megapixels, the details that can be captured are immense. As for high contrast color film, I found this of interest as to why in the world would you use high contrast film as it drowns out details....LOL Black and white also drowns out details but does give the added effect of doom and gloom and "DRAMA" but given digital, you can convert either one if shooting in RAW which also preserves tremendous amounts of details rather than compressing it into a jpg file. Hell, might as well do some shots in HDR, High Dynamic Range, while I'm at it.

As for if I am shooting from a half mile away, highly unlikely, I'll just pull out my 800mm to 1600mm lens and if necessary with an extender with IS (image stabilization) to ensure that there is no unnecessary blur and I nail the shot the first time. I guess don't get me started on photography issues. At any rate, the scenario isn't too complicated between what choices to make. If they are out there trying to capture the event, they would have numerous lenses on them to suit each situation they may be in and what they are trying to capture.

I'm an avid swimmer, so I'd jump in and save them. I would however take an underwater cam with me to capture the moment ;)

~ Shane

I'm an avid swimmer, so I'd jump in and save them. I would however take an underwater cam with me to capture the moment ;)

~ Shane

WHY?

Are you seriously proposing that you would watch two people die if you had the means to save them?

And besides, Obama is my boss (I'm AF). :)

~ Shane

~ Shane

WHY?

Are you seriously proposing that you would watch two people die if you had the means to save them?

~ Shane

Mentioning that Obama is your boss way up the ladder makes me wonder: are all government functions necessarily hierachical by the nature of government?

~ Shane

WHY?

~ Shane

Mentioning that Obama is your boss way up the ladder makes me wonder: are all government functions necessarily hierachical by the nature of government?

Great question. Let's extend it. Can you give me an example of a non-hierarchical structure that functions and/or delivers services? I do not even think the Amish communities that I have worked in and with would make the cut. A commune, possibly. Even a Catholic nunnery or monkery [made that one up] has a hierarchy way up to the BIG GUY! 61214-LjMWiXg.jpg

Adam

~ Shane

WHY?

~ Shane

From where I'm sitting, I can count on 6 fingers how far up the ladder Obama sits. Where I work, we essentially work for the Combatant Commander (COCOM), who then answers to the SECDEF and then President Obama. Locally, there are a few bosses I work for before our numbered AF commander.

As to whether all government functions are that orderly? Couldn't tell you...

~ Shane

~ Shane

WHY?

~ Shane

From where I'm sitting, I can count on 6 fingers how far up the ladder Obama sits. Where I work, we essentially work for the Combatant Commander (COCOM), who then answers to the SECDEF and then President Obama. Locally, there are a few bosses I work for before our numbered AF commander.

As to whether all government functions are that orderly? Couldn't tell you...

~ Shane

Rescuing one person, perhaps, would not be a strain - but two? two whom I detest? - what gain would I have in so doing? Morally, none...

I hate doing political triage, but if I had to pick one it would be O'biwan. It's a two for one deal, we keep Biden the dumbest V.P. in history away from the Presidency and Pelosi is out, so Senator Byrd would be next in line.

gost.gifmog.gif

Adam

bud.gifCharge the blockhouse! violent-smiley-030.gif

violent-smiley-041.gifcar-smiley-004.gif

There's a fundamental principle that I would have to consider here; it involves egoism, and of course,self- sacrifice.

First off, I think I would have to decide on the merits of being the rescuer, against being the award winning photographer.

Tough choice, but self-volition and rationality would motivate me to getting the boat in very close, and after a brief, but firm dicussion of the superiority of my Nikon's VR system, over the Canon's IS, with CNA (yes, of course she's there with me - what do you think?), I'd hand my camera over (sacrifice) to her and trust to her ability to get the shot. But, none of this nancy super-tele-lens stuff: a real man gets in close with his wide-angle (the 10-24mm, or the super sharp 24-70 Nikkor, maybe). Then I'll dive in to the rescue, and at 5 frames per sec, CNA will have the front page pics of a lifetime.

After all the boring worldwide adulation, then wining and dining at the White House, awards,prize- money, speeches, U.S. citizenship,more money, etc,etc, we'd settle down happily in Colorado, and join the campaign against Obama in the next election.

(Did my rational egoism come across clear enough ?)

Tony

Save them? How? I only have a camera, not a long rope.

Nope, I just watch them go down. Sorry, but there is nothing I can do.

Do a take a picture? No. Better they fade away without a trace, given that they never should have made a trace in the first place.

Then I would enjoy the thought that maybe many jobs were just saved, much debt would not come to be, taxes might be lower than otherwise, the death panels of ObamaCare might not come to be, and the catastrophic anthropogenic global warming fraud might not be used as reason to kill the American and many other economies worldwide. hundreds of thousands of lives would be saved and billions of lives would be improved. Just the facts.

There's a fundamental principle that I would have to consider here; it involves egoism, and of course,self- sacrifice.

First off, I think I would have to decide on the merits of being the rescuer, against being the award winning photographer.

Tough choice, but self-volition and rationality would motivate me to getting the boat in very close, and after a brief, but firm dicussion of the superiority of my Nikon's VR system, over the Canon's IS, with CNA (yes, of course she's there with me - what do you think?), I'd hand my camera over (sacrifice) to her and trust to her ability to get the shot. But, none of this nancy super-tele-lens stuff: a real man gets in close with his wide-angle (the 10-24mm, or the super sharp 24-70 Nikkor, maybe). Then I'll dive in to the rescue, and at 5 frames per sec, CNA will have the front page pics of a lifetime.

After all the boring worldwide adulation, then wining and dining at the White House, awards,prize- money, speeches, U.S. citizenship,more money, etc,etc, we'd settle down happily in Colorado, and join the campaign against Obama in the next election.

(Did my rational egoism come across clear enough ?)

Tony

Well, Tony, you'd be in that boat alone at the mercy of the water, wind, debris, etc., while trying to save those two people. Who by chance is steering the boat and trying to control it against mother nature's fury that's been described to be that of biblical proportions? If I was down there with you, we wouldn't be having a convo on the superiority of whose cam is better. But it would be a rather firm discussion regarding only 2 possibilities: Potential death or that of life. I would ask you to quickly look around you, assess the situation, houses are being ripped apart in the torrent of water, debris everywhere, and the likelihood of that boat being able to withstand such power is pathetically miniscule. Make the decision, your life or the real potential of your death?

Even in what safe haven I could find in order to ensure my survival, my pictures more than likely wouldn't be up for the prize. One huge one being is after publication of my photos: I would be quickly condemned and many would bring up, if she was there and able to help, why didn't she potentially sacrifice her own life to save them (two of the most powerful people in the world, particularly Obama and what so many believe is our savior for lack of a better word), why didn't she attempt to save them when she had the opportunity but instead she ran to ensure her survival and still took pictures from a safe distance documenting their deaths? I would at that point probably have to go into hiding to avoid the many death threats and possible attempts against my life. I more than likely wouldn't be able to walk the streets without much repercussions for what I had done and that I wasn't willing to sacrifice my own life for the sake of theirs.

If you made the decision to save your life and to join me in the safe haven, then I would be more than happy to let you use one of my telephoto lenses if you'd wish. But then again, you're a Nikon user so there's no chance we could "share" one of our life's passions. LOL You do have me beat though but with only one extra frame per second. Mine is "only" 4 fps. But I may be generous and allow you to use a back up cam I sometimes use which is a 1D Mark III at 10 fps, ;) although is not full framed so you have that crop factor to take into account.

If there is someone else near by that would be willing to die for the two in the water, then one of us may very well be up for the prize because we just happened to be the photographers nearby documenting the saving of these two people. Whoever is the more skilled photographer and who can get that great shot. But even then, sometimes in photography and most everything else, mediocrity is to be praised and what is universally more acceptable....so when the shot is crappy and not much skill involved by the photographer as I am sure we both have seen, it is an important shot. We may very well likely not even be up for the prize. But given that we both would have possession of those shots because we acted on the decision and what we value the most our lives, and then our being condemned and having to go into hiding, would you still be interested in taking up refuge not that of Colorado but that of Montana or Pennsylvania? Bwhahahaha.....

Angie

Edited by CNA

Boy!

This sounds like a lot of technical crop to me!

I still think my two .22 caliber hollow point bullets at about 50 cents is a simple and safe solution. Plus we get to stay dry and I'll show you my lens and you show me yours.

Adam