News: Goddess of the Market by Jennifer Burns

In the Britting piece in the newsletter Dr. Burns linked to, he described Dr. Milgram's work as "an authorized full biography of Rand."

Although it mentions various books using archival material, such as The Journals and The Letters, no mention of PARC.

-Neil

Edited by Neil Parille

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brant,

Maybe David Harriman and Leonard Peikoff will offer refunds. I suspect, however, that this is as likely as Jim Valliant offering the Brandens an apology.

-NEIL

Neil,

Possibly you mean David Harriman and Michael Berliner.

Jim

In the Britting piece in the newsletter Dr. Burns linked to, he described Dr. Milgram's work as "an authorized full biography of Rand."

Although it mentions various books using archival material, such as The Journals and The Letters, no mention of PARC.

-Neil

Neil; I thought the Milgram book covers only to 1957.

Chris,

According to the latest issue of the Archive's Newsletter, it will be a "full length biography." That implies it covers her entire life and isn't just her intellectual development.

-NEIL

Edited by Neil Parille

Chris,

According to the latest issue of the Archive's Newsletter, it will be a "full length biography." That implies it covers her entire life and isn't just her intellectual development.

-NEIL

Neil; This sounds like a change from what I had heard of it covering only to 1957.

What about this book? Is anyone aware of it?

Ayn Rand (Hardcover)

AR_JB_220.jpg Item Number : AR81A clear.gif Unit Price: $17.95 Compare At: $19.95 clear.gif In Stock clear.gifclear.gif Quantity clear.gif

Refer this page to a friend

Detailed Description by Jeff Britting

Ayn Rand made a profound impact both as a philosopher who defined a new philosophic system, Objectivism, and as a novelist of penetrating insight and vision. Her novels are based on heroic ideals, demonstrating her famous maxim (from which she drew the title of her first best-seller) that, "man's ego is the fountainhead of human progress."

The photos and illustrations in this volume have been hand-selected from the Ayn Rand Archives, and most have never been published. They include personal mementos of a St. Petersburg childhood, photos of the schools Rand attended, her family and their home on Nevsky Prospect, from where she witnessed the first shots of the revolution in 1917; Rand's Soviet passport, photos from her early years in America as a screenwriter in Hollywood; personal papers, including Rand's list of the twelve publishers who passed on The Fountainhead; original newspaper articles, first-edition book jackets, film posters, notes, drawings, and many others.

This latest volume of the acclaimed Overlook Illustrated Lives series gives Ayn Rand's legions of fans an unprecedented chance to better understand the author they admire.

Jeff Britting was associate producer of the documentary film Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life, which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary. Since 1995 he has been archivist at the Ayn Rand Institute in Irvine, California. This is his first book.

Table of Contents

Acknowledgments

Looking Out 1905-1914

Important Things 1915-1925

Freedom to Write 1926-1935

The Ideal 1936-1942

The Real 1943-1950

The Strike 1951-1957

A Philosophy for Living on Earth 1958-1968

"In His Own Image" 1969-1982

Epilogue

References

Chronology

Bibliography

List of Illustrations

(Hardcover; 135 pages)

What about this book? Is anyone aware of it?

Ayn Rand (Hardcover)

AR_JB_220.jpg Item Number : AR81A clear.gif Unit Price: $17.95 Compare At: $19.95 clear.gif In Stock clear.gifclear.gif Quantity clear.gif

Refer this page to a friend

Detailed Description by Jeff Britting

Ayn Rand made a profound impact both as a philosopher who defined a new philosophic system, Objectivism, and as a novelist of penetrating insight and vision. Her novels are based on heroic ideals, demonstrating her famous maxim (from which she drew the title of her first best-seller) that, "man's ego is the fountainhead of human progress."

The photos and illustrations in this volume have been hand-selected from the Ayn Rand Archives, and most have never been published. They include personal mementos of a St. Petersburg childhood, photos of the schools Rand attended, her family and their home on Nevsky Prospect, from where she witnessed the first shots of the revolution in 1917; Rand's Soviet passport, photos from her early years in America as a screenwriter in Hollywood; personal papers, including Rand's list of the twelve publishers who passed on The Fountainhead; original newspaper articles, first-edition book jackets, film posters, notes, drawings, and many others.

This latest volume of the acclaimed Overlook Illustrated Lives series gives Ayn Rand's legions of fans an unprecedented chance to better understand the author they admire.

Jeff Britting was associate producer of the documentary film Ayn Rand: A Sense of Life, which was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Documentary. Since 1995 he has been archivist at the Ayn Rand Institute in Irvine, California. This is his first book.

Table of Contents

Acknowledgments

Looking Out 1905-1914

Important Things 1915-1925

Freedom to Write 1926-1935

The Ideal 1936-1942

The Real 1943-1950

The Strike 1951-1957

A Philosophy for Living on Earth 1958-1968

"In His Own Image" 1969-1982

Epilogue

References

Chronology

Bibliography

List of Illustrations

(Hardcover; 135 pages)

Essentially a simple version of A Sense of Life...

A "heads-up" - AMAZON.COM is now (Monday, 9-21-09) showing Goddess of the Market as "in Stock" and available right now for shipping! This is prior to the "official" publication date.

Jerry,

Not only is it available for shipping now, those who pre-ordered the book got theirs shipped last Thursday.

My copy of Goddess of the Market is due to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

Robert Campbell

Adam,

The Britting book runs parallel to the film, as Anonrobt indicated.

The book is elegantly laid out and has lots of purty pictures.

The coverage of Rand's early life benefits from the research on Russian-language materials that Dina Schein and some others carried out in the late 1990s.

There are two paragraphs about Nathaniel Branden, one about the affair, and references to Barbara Branden's interviews with Ayn Rand but not to The Passion of Ayn Rand.

Robert Campbell

Jerry,

Not only is it available for shipping now, those who pre-ordered the book got theirs shipped last Thursday.

My copy of Goddess of the Market is due to be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait!

Robert Campbell

And I have to wait until 30 September when I arrive in the USA. I had my copy shipped to my parents' house, where I'll be visiting...

Eagerly awaiting reading the book, as well as hearing the reactions to it.

Bill P

Robert, I wince every time you say "purty pictures". Didn't you say you have an advanced degree or something? :P

Fear of deliverance?

Sorry, that is really funny'!:lol:

Adam

Adam and Phil,

I must confess, I live about 25 miles (as the crow flies; roads tend to wind) from the wild and scenic Chattooga River, where scenes in a certain movie were filmed.

The guy who was cast as the banjo player was discovered working in a gas station in Clayton, Georgia, not much farther from here.

Robert

My copy of the Jennifer Burns book arrived this afternoon.

I've read about 40 pages so far.

First impressions: She writes zippily. She doesn't give unrequited love the emphasis that Anne Heller does. There is a very occasional minor error for which she will be twitted (e.g., in We the Living, Kira did not attempt to flee across the Siberian border). What she doesn't like about Rand, she doesn't sugar-coat. Yet she spent a great deal of time in the Ayn Rand Archives, and once in a while there is a little tiny ARIan coloration.

Fascinating book... to be continued.

Robert Campbell

> The guy who was cast as the banjo player was discovered working in a gas station in Clayton, Georgia, not much farther from here.

Certain seventies? movies I never wanted to see. That one and the Deerhunter makes three...whoops, yawl...maybe I caint count...

> The guy who was cast as the banjo player was discovered working in a gas station in Clayton, Georgia, not much farther from here.

Certain seventies? movies I never wanted to see. That one and the Deerhunter makes three...whoops, yawl...maybe I caint count...

But us "folks" who you consistently condescend to can, especially windage and distance. As the line in It's a Wonderful Life, "Well Mr. Potter, that rabble you talk about, do most of the living and dying in this world! Is it too much to ask that they live and die in a decent home."

Sometimes your effete condescension infuriates me Phil. You are better than that.

Adam

Robert; Can't wait to see if I get my copy of the Burn's book today.

I have never seen Deliverance but I once heard James Dickey read some of his poetry before he published the book. Thinking back the reading was done at community college before Dickey became famous. I suspect that most of the students had no idea who he was.

> your effete condescension infuriates me

Adam, it was a joke.

Yes I got that, but, and this is not an attack, there is an element in the sub texts of your writing that maybe you do not notice or that maybe I am overly sensitive about, but the broad basic goodness of Americans, and most likely humans in general is repeatedly overlooked or ridiculed by the "grouping" issues that Michael has referred to on another thread.

I have know and worked with many brilliant people who received no "formal or classical" education, but who are more intellectually advanced than many PHD's that I have known.

It is a sensitive point with me, so take the observation with that large grain of sodium chloride.

Adam