anti depressants block natural survival skills

nicholasair

Hello. I am on anti depreesants and am reading the virtue of selfishness. I decided to major in sociology instead of art which I enjoy. Since then I have been miserable and on and off medicine. WHithout the medicine I think I would have figured out how this choice to please to other people was a mistake. On anti depressants I am alsways happy so no matter what I am doing my mind beleives it is the right think. Its irrational to take anitdepresants. According to Psychology people are more aware and more likely to search for answers when depressed in order to fix problem. Anti depressants are almost no different than taking cocaine to feel better. Therapy is bullshit and so is phychiatry.

Welcome to OL.

I can understand your disquietude with medications, however, I would suggest that you reconsider "therapy" and or "psychiatry".

My understanding from good friends is that you may have to try a few different therapists until one fits.

At any rate. it is interesting that you said that, "On anti depressants I am alsways happy so no matter what I am doing my mind beleives it is the right think."

Interesting, never had to be on them, but your statement is worth pursuing.

Adam

Post Script: Thanks anonrobt - that was what I intended to say - psychiatry

Edited by Selene

Welcome to OL.

I can understand your disquietude with medications, however, I would suggest that you reconsider "therapy" and or "psychology".

My understanding from good friends is that you may have to try a few different therapists until one fits.

At any rate. it is interesting that you said that, "On anti depressants I am alsways happy so no matter what I am doing my mind beleives it is the right think."

Interesting, never had to be on them, but your statement is worth pursuing.

Adam

He spoke of psychiatry, not psychology - and it is true, for the most part, it is behavorist bunkum under medical guise...

Your distaste reminds me of, well, me...about a year ago.

I was really pissed off at doctors for pushing medications, angry at the companies that advertise to consumers, and scared that this was seemingly an inevitable part of the profession (psychology) that I am going into.

I've thought a lot about medication since then.

When I was thirteen, I was diagnosed with major depression after a series of upsetting events. A doctor advised me to take Lexapro, and I refused. I had what I felt just reason to at the time; my mother is bipolar and has Chrone's disease, which supposedly warrants a cocktail of drugs in order for her to live somewhat stably. I was terrified of the range of effects they could have on someone--especially my mom.

I refused to take any sort of drug for five more years. I saw myself as sticking it out, and said to myself that I would just try harder not to be sad. I said that I wouldn't give up until I had exhausted all options and applications of will to try and eliminate the depression.

Along comes freshman year of college. I have to leave because I have an eating disorder and because I am terribly depressed, and I am overwhelmed. I can't function at this point because I'm nutritionally compromised and can't comprehend words. I go into inpatient treatment three times. I gain a substantial amount of weight by the second inpatient stay, and I am less motivated--if that is possible, and I don't know what to do. I finally "cave." I tell my doctor I will take an antidepressant.

She recommends Lexapro. I have a good laugh at that one.

The Lexapro worked, for the most part. I didn't feel less sad, but I felt okay. I didn't have terrible anxiety or ruminate endlessly about my body image (tied in to the depression).

Eventually she ups the dosage. I realized that it makes me "numb," for the most part. I feel really happy sometimes, but I still do get sad.

I decide to go off the drugs and feel terribly sad and anxious for about a week. I cried for no reason every night.

After all is said and done, I don't regret taking Lexapro. I had to try to know. But when I took it, it helped me at a point in which I thought there would be no relief from the never ending thoughts and rules and memories swirling around. I was able to work more in therapy while I was on it. I could talk and let it out--because I hold things in, otherwise. For that reason, the antidepressant was very helpful. I don't think that medication alone can solve depression, but medication can be a useful addition to talk therapy, when things get desperate enough to warrant it.

But I don't advise you to go "cold turkey" on your medications, or your profession. Think about what you're doing, and why you're doing it. If you're pissed off that you're going into sociology and Ayn Rand says that it's wrong, it's worse to give up on something that you like but don't want to admit you like because someone else doesn't like it.

Be careful especially with the medication. Symptoms can take up to a month to reappear after the medication is removed from your body, and some medications can cause seizures or other physical/emotional problems if stopped immediately. Are you seeing a therapist or talking to your psychiatrist? A good therapist can make a huge difference. Mine lights a fire under my butt whenever I try to backslide. She doesn't solve my problems, but helps to remind me why I have/am working on them.

I don't know the background to your story, so I can't presume to understand fully. That's the advice and experience I have to share.

Edited by Ashley

I absolutely sympathize with the views against anti-depressants here. There is much truth in the comments made by other members. At the same time, I believe it may be incorrect to take a moral approach to psychiatric practice and drugs, which is what happens when we begin discussing awareness to problems, etc. A more pragmatic and extended analysis is necessary to ultimately recognize the value anti-depressants hold.

First and foremost, there is the simple fact of biology. Neuroticism and extraversion, two personality traits that are deeply linked to emotions, to happiness, and to psychological experience and processing, are also strongly linked to genetics. In other words, some people are born unnaturally anxious. Anti-pressants to these people can in effect level their psychological experience to baseline that many/most others take for granted.

Second, there are deep and intense states of anxiety and trauma that literally arrest a person's ability to deal with their issues. In other words, a mental state can be so chaotic that any sort of growth or extended awareness is virtually impossible without the assistance of drugs. For these cases, drugs can be used to temporarily take the edge off the issue, thereby allowing the person to address more consciously the problems of their psyche. I think this is the most useful practice for antidepressants.

On the flip side, when anxiety is reduced, there is a diminishment of motivation to manage one's embedded psychological issues. After all, pain has a purpose. For the case of low social self-esteem, antidepressants can help an individual continue to have their low self-esteem problem yet function without too much negative emotion. In other words, surprise! drugs can be used for bad purposes. I believe the key to using antidepressants is to recognize that an active commitment to overcoming one's issues is required regardless of how one feels. The pain will diminish, but the problem will not. Therefore, don't let the issue fall out of awareness just because the pain is gone. To do so would be like taking codeine after breaking one's leg, then forgetting about the leg and letting it fester simply because the pain is gone.

Suffering is not a virtue, and therefore pain is not something to be desired. Pain is certainly a motivator for awareness. If one gains awareness, it is important to use that awareness towards healing; but it is not necessary to continue suffering in the process of healing, in the process of addressing what needs to be addressed. This is the use (and blessing) of anti-depressants in our society.

I hesitate to add my 2 cents-worth since I am a lay-man in this complex field.

Certainly I do advise taking any form of depression very seriously - with combined therapy and psychiatry - and the earlier the better.

For as long as I remember,anxiety and slight depression was always present in me;the causal connection from these to reduced energy,to lowered productivity,and then to lowered self-efficacy,and confidence,is self-apparent.Also it plays havoc with relationships.

I believe the new generation drugs are great;effective,and non-intrusive.

Personally,I am pleased to have found a simple remedy for anxiety,which was my major problem - a daily supplement of magnesium. It usually comes combined with calcium to aid absorption,which in S.A.drug stores is labelled 'Dolomite.'

Incredibly effective at just taking the 'edge' off anxiety, I recommend it.

hello. yeah I am seeing a psychiatrist but I stopped seeing my therapist. IT may be good to start therapy as long as I am on the drugs. How long did you take your lexapro for?

Your distaste reminds me of, well, me...about a year ago.

I was really pissed off at doctors for pushing medications, angry at the companies that advertise to consumers, and scared that this was seemingly an inevitable part of the profession (psychology) that I am going into.

I've thought a lot about medication since then.

When I was thirteen, I was diagnosed with major depression after a series of upsetting events. A doctor advised me to take Lexapro, and I refused. I had what I felt just reason to at the time; my mother is bipolar and has Chrone's disease, which supposedly warrants a cocktail of drugs in order for her to live somewhat stably. I was terrified of the range of effects they could have on someone--especially my mom.

I refused to take any sort of drug for five more years. I saw myself as sticking it out, and said to myself that I would just try harder not to be sad. I said that I wouldn't give up until I had exhausted all options and applications of will to try and eliminate the depression.

Along comes freshman year of college. I have to leave because I have an eating disorder and because I am terribly depressed, and I am overwhelmed. I can't function at this point because I'm nutritionally compromised and can't comprehend words. I go into inpatient treatment three times. I gain a substantial amount of weight by the second inpatient stay, and I am less motivated--if that is possible, and I don't know what to do. I finally "cave." I tell my doctor I will take an antidepressant.

She recommends Lexapro. I have a good laugh at that one.

The Lexapro worked, for the most part. I didn't feel less sad, but I felt okay. I didn't have terrible anxiety or ruminate endlessly about my body image (tied in to the depression).

Eventually she ups the dosage. I realized that it makes me "numb," for the most part. I feel really happy sometimes, but I still do get sad.

I decide to go off the drugs and feel terribly sad and anxious for about a week. I cried for no reason every night.

After all is said and done, I don't regret taking Lexapro. I had to try to know. But when I took it, it helped me at a point in which I thought there would be no relief from the never ending thoughts and rules and memories swirling around. I was able to work more in therapy while I was on it. I could talk and let it out--because I hold things in, otherwise. For that reason, the antidepressant was very helpful. I don't think that medication alone can solve depression, but medication can be a useful addition to talk therapy, when things get desperate enough to warrant it.

But I don't advise you to go "cold turkey" on your medications, or your profession. Think about what you're doing, and why you're doing it. If you're pissed off that you're going into sociology and Ayn Rand says that it's wrong, it's worse to give up on something that you like but don't want to admit you like because someone else doesn't like it.

Be careful especially with the medication. Symptoms can take up to a month to reappear after the medication is removed from your body, and some medications can cause seizures or other physical/emotional problems if stopped immediately. Are you seeing a therapist or talking to your psychiatrist? A good therapist can make a huge difference. Mine lights a fire under my butt whenever I try to backslide. She doesn't solve my problems, but helps to remind me why I have/am working on them.

I don't know the background to your story, so I can't presume to understand fully. That's the advice and experience I have to share.

Magesium is water solluble so you pee out any excess ,but It is healthy to have enough of any vitamins.

I hesitate to add my 2 cents-worth since I am a lay-man in this complex field.

Certainly I do advise taking any form of depression very seriously - with combined therapy and psychiatry - and the earlier the better.

For as long as I remember,anxiety and slight depression was always present in me;the causal connection from these to reduced energy,to lowered productivity,and then to lowered self-efficacy,and confidence,is self-apparent.Also it plays havoc with relationships.

I believe the new generation drugs are great;effective,and non-intrusive.

Personally,I am pleased to have found a simple remedy for anxiety,which was my major problem - a daily supplement of magnesium. It usually comes combined with calcium to aid absorption,which in S.A.drug stores is labelled 'Dolomite.'

Incredibly effective at just taking the 'edge' off anxiety, I recommend it.