Guyau

Let Your Mouse Do the Walking

Amazing, this was in my e-mail today:

1. Thomas Aquinas

The Dominican friar and author of the near-unreadably dense Summa Theologica made it his life’s work to harmonize logical Aristotelian thought and mystical Christian theology, to the detriment of both. While for Aquinas and his medieval contemporaries, natural theology represents an early attempt at empiricism, the emphasis on the “theology” meant that the West has endured centuries of spurious “proofs” of God’s existence and completely incomprehensible rationalizations of the Trinity, the virgin birth, and other miraculous tales that have no analogue in observable phenomena.

Like many church fathers before him, Thomas’s employment as a kind of Grand Inquisitor of heretics and a codifier of dogma makes me all the more averse to his thought, though much of it is admittedly of great historical import.

This excerpt is from this article:

Who Are the Most Pernicious Thinkers? A List of Five Bad Western Philosophers: Name Your Own

Posted: 24 Apr 2014 05:00 AM PDT

Aquinas.jpg

Amazing, this was in my e-mail today:

1. Thomas Aquinas

The Dominican friar and author of the near-unreadably dense Summa Theologica made it his life’s work to harmonize logical Aristotelian thought and mystical Christian theology, to the detriment of both. While for Aquinas and his medieval contemporaries, natural theology represents an early attempt at empiricism, the emphasis on the “theology” meant that the West has endured centuries of spurious “proofs” of God’s existence and completely incomprehensible rationalizations of the Trinity, the virgin birth, and other miraculous tales that have no analogue in observable phenomena.

Like many church fathers before him, Thomas’s employment as a kind of Grand Inquisitor of heretics and a codifier of dogma makes me all the more averse to his thought, though much of it is admittedly of great historical import.

This excerpt is from this article:

Who Are the Most Pernicious Thinkers? A List of Five Bad Western Philosophers: Name Your Own

Posted: 24 Apr 2014 05:00 AM PDT

Aquinas.jpg

Where is Kant?