Homeschool siezed by 12 FBI agents

Selene

Folks this in really terrifying.

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/5049867

Related Items

Ashton Lundeby

Ashton Lundeby is being held under the USA Patriot Act on a criminal complaint that a bomb threat was made from his Oxford home the night of Feb. 15.

Video Video

* Teen's mom questions Patriot Act

On The Web On The Web

* Highlights of The USA Patriot Act

* HR: 3162: The USA Patriot Act (full text)

* HR 1800: National Security Letters Reform Act of 2009

[search] Site Search

Mom says Patriot Act stripped son of due process

Ashton Lundeby

Posted: Apr. 29, 2009

Oxford, N.C. — Sixteen-year-old Ashton Lundeby's bedroom in his mother's Granville County home is nothing, if not patriotic. Images of American flags are everywhere – on the bed, on the floor, on the wall.

But according to the United States government, the tenth-grade home-schooler is being held on a criminal complaint that he made a bomb threat from his home on the night of Feb. 15.

Ashton Lundeby

WATCH VIDEO

Teen's mom questions Patriot Act

The family was at a church function that night, his mother, Annette Lundeby, said.

"Undoubtedly, they were given false information, or they would not have had 12 agents in my house with a widow and two children and three cats," Lundeby said.

Around 10 p.m. on March 5, Lundeby said, armed FBI agents along with three local law enforcement officers stormed her home looking for her son. They handcuffed him and presented her with a search warrant.

"I was terrified," Lundeby's mother said. "There were guns, and I don't allow guns around my children. I don't believe in guns."

Lundeby told the officers that someone had hacked into her son's IP address and was using it to make crank calls connected through the Internet, making it look like the calls had originated from her home when they did not.

Her argument was ignored, she said. Agents seized a computer, a cell phone, gaming console, routers, bank statements and school records, according to federal search warrants.

"There were no bomb-making materials, not even a blasting cap, not even a wire," Lundeby said.

Ashton now sits in a juvenile facility in South Bend, Ind. His mother has had little access to him since his arrest. She has gone to her state representatives as well as attorneys, seeking assistance, but, she said, there is nothing she can do.

Lundeby said the USA Patriot Act stripped her son of his due process rights.

"We have no rights under the Patriot Act to even defend them, because the Patriot Act basically supersedes the Constitution," she said. "It wasn't intended to drag your barely 16-year-old, 120-pound son out in the middle of the night on a charge that we can't even defend."

Passed after the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks on the U.S., the Patriot Act allows federal agents to investigate suspected cases of terrorism swiftly to better protect the country. In part, it gives the federal government more latitude to search telephone records, e-mails and other records.

"They're saying that 'We feel this individual is a terrorist or an enemy combatant against the United States, and we're going to suspend all of those due process rights because this person is an enemy of the United States," said Dan Boyce, a defense attorney and former U.S. attorney not connected to the Lundeby case.

Critics of the statute say it threatens the most basic of liberties.

"There's nothing a matter of public record," Boyce said "All those normal rights are just suspended in the air."

In a bi-partisan effort, Rep. Jerrold Nadler, D-N.Y., and Rep. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., last month introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives a bill that would narrow subpoena power in a provision of the Patriot Act, called the National Security Letters, to curb what some consider to be abuse of power by federal law enforcement officers.

Boyce said the Patriot Act was written with good intentions, but he said he believes it has gone too far in some cases. Lundeby's might be one of them, he said.

"It very well could be a case of overreaction, where an agent leaped to certain conclusions or has made certain assumptions about this individual and about how serious the threat really is," Boyce said.

Because a federal judge issued a gag order in the case, the U.S. attorney in Indiana cannot comment on the case, nor can the FBI. The North Carolina Highway Patrol did confirm that officers assisted with the FBI operation at the Lundeby home on March 5.

"Never in my worst nightmare did I ever think that it would be my own government that I would have to protect my children from," Lundeby said. "This is the United States, and I feel like I live in a third world country now."

Lundeby said she does not think this type of case is what the Patriot Act was intended for. Boyce agrees.

"It was to protect the public, but what we need to do is to make sure there are checks and balances to make sure those new laws are not abused," he said.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This is not a good sign at all.

Adam

It may not be a good sign. It may not be a bad sign. It may not be a sign of anything at all. That will depend on the quality of the FBI"s evidence.

If you make a bomb threat you can expect trouble. If you make a bomb threat and your mom alibis you that may not be enough to get you out of trouble.

Keep us posted.

Agreed.

I did not have time to add that if the Mom's fact pattern is a lie or she has no clue what Jr. was up to the "raid" made sense. However, I know for a fact some details about Ruby Ridge, Waco and the sordid Ellion Rodriguez suppression which was managed by our current Attorney General, Eric Holder.

What surprises me is that, according to the article, the kid is being held incommunicado.

Adam

Agreed.

I did not have time to add that if the Mom's fact pattern is a lie or she has no clue what Jr. was up to the "raid" made sense. However, I know for a fact some details about Ruby Ridge, Waco and the sordid Ellion Rodriguez suppression which was managed by our current Attorney General, Eric Holder.

What surprises me is that, according to the article, the kid is being held incommunicado.

Adam

Yeah - that is not cool. Due process is in order here, what the hell?

Sherry:

I was getting worried about you, between the home invasions, tornadoes and the deadly swine flu which has nothing to do with pigs!

So when do we all move to Texas and secede?

Adam

Texas is as bad or worse than anywhere with this stuff.

Ah, the Patriot Act. They couldn't get that cobbled together fast enough.

And yes, for really, really real, there are internment camps ready and waiting all over the country. You can thank FEMA for that, their supposed auspices.

Whoa!

Easy Rich. I followed that story and apparently that is not true.

The various shots that made the internet story are photos of either a North Korea camp or a factory which the investigator entered, videoed and

it was a legitimate business enterprise which was retooling.

Therefore, these FEMA "interment" camps do not exist as far as we know at this point in time.

If you have something new I would love to see it.

Adam

Therefore, these FEMA "interment" camps do not exist as far as we know at this point in time.

Adam

What about the Black Helicopters?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Ba'al Chatzaf

Once again, back to Heinlein's concept of a "fair" witness, I would state:

There are photos of helicopters that are black that exist.

Beyond that statement it is a long ways to they were sent to watch us by the UN, the Illuminati and/or the tooth fairy.

Just my thoughts.

Adam

Ashton Lundeby is being held under the USA Patriot Act on a criminal complaint that a bomb threat was made from his Oxford home the night of Feb. 15.

I just googled his name and got five pages of nothing but rightwing, conservative and libertarian blogs.

Lew Rockwell reports that Ashton's mother, Annette Lundeby was at a North Carolina hearing but was not at two public hearings held in Indiana. Also, it appears now that the boy was not being held under the Patriot Act ... or if he was, he is not...

Rich Engle said: "... there are internment camps ready and waiting all over the country. You can thank FEMA for that, their supposed auspices."

A long while back, I saw most of a movie called The Keep. It took place in German occupied Romania during World War II and it is a monster or horror movie with the Thing down in this pit surrounded by a castle. But the one German says, "I have studied fortifications all over Europe and this place is not designed to keep something out, but to keep something in." Obviously that stayed with me. Much later I read Jurassic Park and saw the movie. Again, the park was designed to keep things in. Then, I drove my daughter back to her home in Miami and we drove through Alligator Alley and I noticed that the fences are designed to keep things in. Now, I am in security and I think about these things every now and then. And the point of all this is that at the end of the Nixon Era, they built a new Post Office in Lansing and it is not designed to prevent intruders, but to hold whatever is already inside.

I'm just saying...

Edited by Michael E. Marotta

That is why I added those provisos as to mom's fact pattern or the fact that Mom may not know what little Jr. does on-line.

That is why I added those provisos as to mom's fact pattern or the fact that Mom may not know what little Jr. does on-line.

Adam,

Didn't you report that it was possible or not unlikely that someone else hacked into the kid's email and made it look like a bomb threat was emanating from his account?

Would the "authorities" be able to figure that out before bursting in ala The Gestapo!

This is all another good reason to join the www.campaignforliberty.com and ultimately support candidates for the Congress and the Senate who will abide by the Constitution.

Write an email to your own Senators and Congressmen at www.DownsizeDC.org where they have a number of juicy email campaigns going on at once. I use it as a vehicle to email my miscreant representative on any subject I want using the most relevant campaign.

It is shocking if you imagine how the youngster must feel now, incommunicado, no lawyer visit, no habeus corpus before a judge. This is a nightmare for him comparable to the horrors of any of the tyrannies in the world.

Too bad that once he is released by Obama he will not be able to sue as it is all legal under the Patriot Act.

www.campaignforliberty.com 151631, noon 9May 151645

gulch

Edited by galtgulch

Gulch:

I reported the article with the proviso that this was not a good sign, but it would depend on whether the Mom's fact pattern was correct - it was not.

And whether Mom knew what little Jr. was really doing under the covers at night! And apparently, Jr.'s computer and Jr.'s voice was on tape. Oops!

Now Jr. is denying that it is his voice or that he made the call, so we will see.

Additionally, it is alleged that Jr. was arrested based on an 80 year old State statute and not the Patriot Act.

"Didn't you report that it was possible or not unlikely that someone else hacked into the kid's email and made it look like a bomb threat was emanating from his account?

Would the 'authorities' be able to figure that out before bursting in a la The Gestapo!"

Therefore, like any "story" we need to get the fact pattern as best we can, in order to make the best choice.

As a Dr., you need to know the fact pattern to make a call. The percentage decision is in the diagnosis part. One of the reasons that I enjoy the series House which I watch on Hulu.com occasionally.

And yes I have re-attached to this years 24, it has been back to the earlier years in terms of quality.

Adam