Private Message not working?

Hi - just wondering with the Private Message feature will be back up. I have a question for a member that I wasn't sure would be appropriate to post publically, but when I try I get this message:

IPS Shared Hosting Server

PM System Currently Disabled

You have reached this page because the Personal Message system you are trying to access is currently unavailable while awaiting a software update. If you are the site owner/administrator, please login to the IPS client area for further information and to attain the software patch.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Now, the Technology Gods do have it in for me (as evidenced by dishwasher, 2 cell phones, one car and a can opener all going on strike in the last year), but I never imagined it would spread to the OL forums. :huh:

Any idea when this will be up?

Thanks!

Hi - just wondering with the Private Message feature will be back up. I have a question for a member that I wasn't sure would be appropriate to post publically, but when I try I get this message:

You have reached this page because the Personal Message system you are trying to access is currently unavailable while awaiting a software update. If you are the site owner/administrator, please login to the IPS client area for further information and to attain the software patch.

Now, the Technology Gods do have it in for me (as evidenced by dishwasher, 2 cell phones, one car and a can opener all going on strike in the last year), but I never imagined it would spread to the OL forums. :huh:

Thanks!

We don't need no stinkin' "Personal Message" function!

BrantGaede@aol.com

Heh, heh, heh. Go ahead--send me one!

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

Thanks!

We don't need no stinkin' "Personal Message" function!

BrantGaede@aol.com

HAHA!

Well, my friend, the question was not for you - but I will make note of your email address in case I do.

=)

Heh, heh, heh. Go ahead--send me one!

--Brant

I will be updating the software shortly. This is the first time I am going to go it alone and I don't want to screw things up. So I have been cautious. I already install server-side scripts, but I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I mess with PHP MYSQL hell on an ongoing forum like this one.

As soon as my chicken attack is over, I'll get this done and personal messages will be back.

Michael

I will be updating the software shortly. This is the first time I am going to go it alone and I don't want to screw things up. So I have been cautious. I already install server-side scripts, but I want to make sure all my ducks are in a row before I mess with PHP MYSQL hell on an ongoing forum like this one.

As soon as my chicken attack is over, I'll get this done and personal messages will be back.

Michael

Thanks Michael!

If all else fails, don't forget you can resort to the time old Etch-A-Sketch protocol. (Pick your computer and shake it.)

By the way I have a buddy that is very good with PHP MYSQL - you probably already know a ton of people who are - but if you are ever looking for some help with that, let me know and I will put you in contact. Very bright young man, and very keen on Rand and Objectivism.

I find that Objectivism is something a lot of programmers find very interesting and make sense to them. Must be the whole logic thing.

In fact - my husband has often joked that he wants to write a book called "The Objectivist Oriented Programmer" hahah.

In fact - my husband has often joked that he wants to write a book called "The Objectivist Oriented Programmer" hahah.

Ha, that's a good one. It just so happens I do php-mySQL programming myself. :D I don't think programmers are attracted to objectivism for the "logic" thing though, I suspect it's more to do with individualism, economics, etc. I think people are attracted to programming for the logic thing though.

Ha, that's a good one. It just so happens I do php-mySQL programming myself. :D I don't think programmers are attracted to objectivism for the "logic" thing though, I suspect it's more to do with individualism, economics, etc. I think people are attracted to programming for the logic thing though.

Hmmm...you know what, the more I think of it, I think you are correct!

Michael - thanks for taking care of it so quickly! I will get back on later tonight and send my message.

=)

Well, they did what they did and no major catastrophe.

(whew!)

I will get the portal page and banner link issues done a little later today. If anyone perceives a glitch, please post it here.

Michael

Michael -

Many thanks for all of your efforts. The personal messages capability is highly valued.

And, more generally, thanks to you and Kat for creating and managing Objectivist Living.

Bill P

Well, they did what they did and no major catastrophe.

(whew!)

I will get the portal page and banner link issues done a little later today. If anyone perceives a glitch, please post it here.

Michael

Michael -

Many thanks for all of your efforts. The personal messages capability is highly valued.

And, more generally, thanks to you and Kat for creating and managing Objectivist Living.

Bill P

What Bill said.

Edited to add: oh - and it appears to be working now!

All is right in the world.

Edited by SherryTX

The upgrade is now complete. Invision disabled personal messaging on boards until they upgraded because of a spam problem. Basically, spammers figured out a way to send a lot of messages out at once. Hopefully, nobody on OL was spammed, and if so please let me know. I am now in the process of doing some housekeeping as far as removing dead or spammy links from the forum and the blogs. If you see something, say something.

I've put in a ticket at Invision to see if there is an easier way to remove trackbacks from blogs automatically. That is where the spammers hide their links and I don't want outgoing links to those types of sites. I've spend hours deleting stuff today and it feels like I haven't made a dent in it.

Kat