Zumba, Anyone?

SherryTX

Last night I went to my first Zumba class. I didn't do a lot of research before I went. I had originally signed up for a Belly Dancing class. I had read a lot about that being fairly easy to get into regardless of fitness level, and since I have much belly haha, figured it would be a good idea. Unfortunately, my local rec center canceled the class last minute so I had to scramble to find something that would fit in my schedule.

So I read the description - basically an exercise class using bits of different Latin forms of dancing, and some times some belly dancing moves. I thought sure, why not - it is about the same price, and signed up yesterday morning.

Four words describe how I felt 15 minutes into the class: What. Was. I. Thinking!

It is really fast pace - the instructor has all these dance moves and with the exception of a few seconds to grab your water bottle in between some of the songs, is practically non stop for 50 minutes. Most of the participants appeared to be in their 40s and up (a few was probably around my age, late 30s), and while very few were heavy set like me, most were what you would call average - no models here hahah. I was impressed with how many of the older women totally kept up and didn't miss a beat.

I kinda wish they video taped the class - because let me tell you Hollywood could not have choreographed a funnier scene about a person that is uncoordinated trying to keep up in a class like this. I don't know how the instructor was able to keep a straight face any time she looked in the mirror at my corner of the room.

Anyway, I was pretty sore after, and this morning - ARGH! My knees were bothering me as well as my shoulder.

It was probably the most fun I have had in years - though quite humiliating. I am looking forward to it next week.

Anyone else try Zumba? What is your experience?

Anyway, I was pretty sore after, and this morning - ARGH! My knees were bothering me as well as my shoulder.

It was probably the most fun I have had in years - though quite humiliating. I am looking forward to it next week.

I prefer Rave. Very vigorous calisthenics.

Here is a sample: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8602483019158148765

Ba'al Chatzaf

I prefer Rave. Very vigorous calisthenics.

Here is a sample: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8602483019158148765

Ba'al Chatzaf

HAHHAHA!!! THAT was hilarious!

Sherry,

LOL...

You sound like me doing something new...

:)

Michael

Yep. I took Yoga for a few months about two years ago - it was great! But I decided to try something that is more cardio-ish. I have been working (haphazardly) the past few years on an off to loose some weight and get healthier. I have about 130 pounds to lose and just turned 38, so I have to get things moving so I can keep up with my children and just not be so miserable physically.

I purchase a Latin Dance exercise video at Wal-Mart last night. It isn't technically Zumba, but that is okay, because I need something a little slower to learn the basic steps so I can not crash into the wall or another person in class. Plus, my two youngest said they would give it a shot at home with me so that will be fun.

I have too much time on my hands right now in many ways (not working and all) so trying to make better use of it.

I get all the exercise I need walking my chocolate Lab, supplemented by being pallbearer at the funerals of my friends who exercised.

--Brant

rip-off artist

We don't have a dog - 3 ferrets and 1 cat (plus another cat we are "watching" for my son's friend).

Though, I tried to get the ferrets used to a harness so I could take them for a walk, but they looked at me with the "hell, no!" expression.

I get all the exercise I need walking my chocolate Lab, supplemented by being pallbearer at the funerals of my friends who exercised.

--Brant

rip-off artist

We don't have a dog - 3 ferrets and 1 cat (plus another cat we are "watching" for my son's friend).

Though, I tried to get the ferrets used to a harness so I could take them for a walk, but they looked at me with the "hell, no!" expression.

Get a dog.

--Brant

--Brant

rip-off artist

Get a dog.

--Brant

But there is no poop to clean up in Zumba.