Love Songs


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No, I never did get to hear him live.  The first item here is adapted from Strauss.  What's not to like? He was great.  Just listen to the musicianship on display here:  

"The First Time Ever I saw Your Face" Lord Gord of Lightfoot's Rendition. When I was young I thought he had written it. Also, his "Song for a Winter's Night." And of course Connors's "the Hockey Song"

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2011 at 1:11 PM, 9thdoctor said:

I think you mean "take a sad song..."

Cathy Berberian was a classical soprano, based in Italy, who used to do Beatles songs in her recitals alongside Purcell, Handel, and the like. The ones I posted are actually the most listenable (to my ears). Want to hear the really goofy ones?

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHRb35H4kLc

I love your unique collection of classical gems Doc.

Have a question I have been meaning to ask you. My only rigid routine is on Saturdays when I religiously listen the the opera on CBC hosted by Ben Heppner (unless it is one I really can;t stand after giving it more than one try) and then his ensuing very entertaining shows. I never saw him in an opera, though I did see him in a recital, not my favourite choice (all Strauss) but his stage presence and voice were mesmerizing. I wish I had seen him in opera , especially Wagner (swoooon). Have you ever seen him on stage?

Maybe Canada doesn't have the biggest military, but with just Ben to follow in Jon Vicker's giant motorcycle boots, I think we can go tenor to tenor with anybody!

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, caroljane said:

"The First Time Ever I saw Your Face" Lord Gord of Lightfoot's Rendition.

It figures that you'd prefer his version, since Roberta Flack is black.

J

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jonathan said:

It figures that you'd prefer his version, since Roberta Flack is black.

J

Nonsense, I've always thought she was white... oh, no. Just saw she isn't .Well. an honest mistake.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of UK stars with 'soul,' the original blue-eyed Dusty Springfield still gives me shivers. It's a toss up between these two videos below.  Dusty was among the first to publicize and invite "The Motown Sound" to UK pop culture of the time, while she enjoyed the height of her early stardom. She honoured some of her other R&B "roots" when she later recorded her classic album "Dusty in Memphis."  Cue thread on "Southern Gothic" music ... 

When I was five and a half I asked my mom, after hearing Nancy and Frank Sinatra use up three minutes of radio, "Why are all the songs on the radio about love?"  She laughed, not at me, or not merely at my naïveté -- but she told me later because it was difficult to explain romantic love to a person who'd yet had that kind of love to experience.  

Shortly thereafter I got 'the sex talk' and a few of the tumblers clicked into place ("When a man and his wife love each other ...").  She didn't mention that sex was pleasurable beyond what I had imagined (wisely) - close, good feelings.  I guess it was the yearning for something that I didn't get, being well-loved myself, by most measures.

The "Look of Love" ...

 

Edited by william.scherk
Spellink errors
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, william.scherk said:

Speaking of UK stars with 'soul,' the original blue-eyed Dusty Springfield still gives me shivers. It's a toss up between these two videos below.  Dusty was among the first to publicize and invite "The Motown Sound" to UK pop culture of the time, while she enjoyed the height of her early stardom. She honoured some of her other R&B "roots" when she later recorded her classic album "Dusty in Memphis."  Cue thread on "Southern Gothic" music ... 

When I was five and a half I asked my mom, after hearing Nancy and Frank Sinatra use up three minutes of radio, "Why are all the songs on the radio about love?"  She laughed, not at me, or not merely at my naïveté -- but she told me later because it was difficult to explain romantic love to a person who'd yet had that kind of love to experience.  

Shortly thereafter I got 'the sex talk' and a few of the tumblers clicked into place ("When an man and his wife love each other ...").  She didn't mention that sex was pleasurable beyond what I had imagined (wisely) - close, good feelings.  I guess it was the yearning for something that I didn't get, being well-loved myself, by most measures.

The "Look of Love" ...

 

Snap. I f you remember, I wrote somewhere here  that my first choices for first dance at my wedding were "I only Want to Be with You",by the immortal Dusty, or "He's a Rebel"but the band did not know either one, and I was not the one paying them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, caroljane said:

I love your unique collection of classical gems Doc.

Have a question I have been meaning to ask you. My only rigid routine is on Saturdays when I religiously listen the the opera on CBC hosted by Ben Heppner (unless it is one I really can;t stand after giving it more than one try) and then his ensuing very entertaining shows. I never saw him in an opera, though I did see him in a recital, not my favourite choice (all Strauss) but his stage presence and voice were mesmerizing. I wish I had seen him in opera , especially Wagner (swoooon). Have you ever seen him on stage?

Maybe Canada doesn't have the biggest military, but with just Ben to follow in Jon Vicker's giant motorcycle boots, I think we can go tenor to tenor with anybody!

No, I never did get to hear him live.  The first item here is adapted from Strauss.  What's not to like?

He was great.  Just listen to the musicianship on display here:

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jonathan said:

Your racist "jokes" aren't funny.

J

What would be funny is if someone starts a thread titled, "What songs would you want to be played at your 100th birthday party? I would start with "Somewhere Over the Rainbow."

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

12 December 2020

Romeo et Juliette - First Transports

Hector Berlioz / Emile Deschamps

Marianne Crebassa

First transports that no one forgets!

First confessions, first oaths

Of two lovers

Under the stars of Italy;

In this hot air and without zephyrs

Let the orange tree in the distance perfume

Where is burning

The nightingale in long sighs!

What art in his chosen language,

Would you make heavenly things?

First love, are not you

Higher than any poetry?

Or would you not, in our mortal exile,

This poetry itself,

Whose Shakespeare alone had the supreme secret

And he won in the sky!

 

Happy children with hearts of flame,

Linked by love by chance

In one look,

Living both of one soul,

Hide the good under the blooming shade,

This divine fire that sets you on fire,

So pure ecstasy

May his words be weeping!

What a king of your chaste delusions

Would it believe to equal transport?

Happy children! and what treasures

Would you pay only one of your smiles?

Ah! enjoy this cup of honey for a long time,

Softer than the chalices

Where the angels of God, jealous of your delights,

Blow happiness in the sky!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now