Love Songs

Kat

I can't navigate to the help place which simply shows how to put the YouTube or whatever player screen right on the post.

Kat, can you point me? Just shoot an email or something if you get a chance. I have one or two in mind. I'm feeling happy but melancholy; my VD plans were ruined due to work and family stuff...my woman and I now won't see each other until Wednesday, so I have to do SOMETHING.... :)

rde

glad he didn't buy the steaks and wine or he'd be overindulging in a double portion of both, alone *sob* ;)

Oh, heck, why wait just for a trifle convenience, I'll figure that out later.

I always loved this song, it has always said the better part of it to me. Nice video, too-- this is a 2nd version he did. Loved watching him do it live on the first tour. Some things are just elegant, complex, yet starkly simple, and heartfelt, and, well...pretty. Here's the link, sure many of you know the song, but this is a nice revisit. Lyrics below.

r

His honey called right while he was doing that. The rest of you bastards, I just hope, for your sakes, you either planned, or if not, they didn't run out of stuff in the card aisle... Happy VD, my very favorite-est holiday there is!

:heart:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mr_dth5jio

_______

"Fortress Around Your Heart"

Under the ruins of a walled city

Crumbling towers and beams of yellow light

No flags of truce, no cries of pity

The siege guns had been pounding all through the night

It took a day to build the city

We walked through its streets in the afternoon

As I returned across the lands I'd known

I recognized the fields where I'd once played

I had to stop in my tracks for fear

Of walking on the mines I'd laid

And if I built this fortress around your heart

Encircled you in trenches and barbed wire

Then let me build a bridge

For I cannot fill the chasm

And let me set the battlements on fire

Then I went off to fight some battle

That I'd invented inside my head

Away so long for years and years

You probably thought or even wished that I was dead

While the armies are all sleeping

Beneath the tattered flag we'd made

I had to stop in my track for fear

This prison has now become your home

A sentence you seem prepared to pay

It took a day to build the city

As I returned across the lands I'd known

I recognized the fields where I'd once played

I had to stop in my tracks for fear

Edited by Rich Engle

Two quite different and provocative musical settings for scenes from a passionate, Romantic, and beautifully dramatized movie, Stardust, from 2007 ...

... and if you haven't managed to see this masterful adventure/romance/fantasy/comedy by now, hie thee hence, if you please, to the nearest rental emporium and check it out. (The videos may create minor spoilers for the plot, though it's so satisfyingly intricate that this might not happen.)

Hayley Westenra, singing "Dark Waltz":

The Killers, singing "Read My Mind":

I can't navigate to the help place which simply shows how to put the YouTube or whatever player screen right on the post.

Rich, change the Post Options setting (drop-down box) to "HTML On - Auto Linebreak Mode".

Then copy and paste the YouTube "Embed" code for the video you want displayed — assuming that the original uploader is allowing embedding — into your post here.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Billie Holiday

I’ve Got You under My Skin

Frank Sinatra

I Didn’t Know What Time It Was

Sarah Vaughn

Nancy Wilson

Frank Sinatra

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Re #8, #11)

I notice, Chris, that those old links for Dylan and Flack are now removed. So here are some new ones:

Lay Lady Lay

Bob Dylan

Roberta Flack

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(Re #12)

Thanks Dennis. I gave it a listen.

I like the Norman performance better. Try it out. It is on this album (1982).

Edited by Stephen Boydstun

For Emily Wherever I May Find Her:

Sounds not too good but the closeness of the black and white is amazing... "I kissed your honey hair...with my grateful tears." great line

Edited by Selene

<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZBUb0ElnNY">Love Me Tender</A>

Elvis Presley

<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfF0uHekcc8">Lay Lady Lay</A>

Bob Dylan

<A href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI7gzXz1cHo">The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face</A>

Roberta Flack

Stephen; I like these choices.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Somewhere in the Letters of AR you’ll find her praising Elisabeth Schwarzkopf (aka Betty Blackhead among the humor bearing cognoscenti) to the skies. Here’s the translation:

Dedication

Yes, you know it, dear soul,

That, far from you, I pine;

Love makes hearts sick-

Be thanked!

Once, revelling in freedom, I lifted

Up the amethyst cup

And you blessed the drink-

Be thanked!

And you banished the evil spirits,

Till I was, what I had never been,

Holy, and holy fell on your heart;

Be thanked!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

In my experience, what oysters are to the male libido, this album is to the female.

• 7 months later...

For My Folks

Ellis and Lydia

Lili Marleen

Marlene Dietrich

Tex Ritter

Lera

Barbra Streisand

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

PS

Ellis and Lera were my natural parents. He and his second wife Lydia raised me from age two. They were young adults in WWII. The songs above were ones they liked and which had some special significance to them. (Some family notes: a, b, c, d)

Brant (# 18 below), thanks. You are surely correct.

Edited by Stephen Boydstun

For My Folks

Ellis and Lydia

Lili Marleen

Marlene Dietrich

Tex Ritter

Lera

Barbra Streisand

High Noon is The Fountainhead made into a western. There is even a Peter Keating character.

It's an allegory, too, of course; nobody is walking into town with six-guns--even three baddies--to take down a marshall, also armed with a six-shooter, while Civil War veterans cower in a church. If you have a repeating rifle you have a tremendous advantage over someone with a handgun.

What really happens is the Jesse James' gang tries to rob a bank in Northridge, Minnesota and gets shot to pieces by the townsfolk.

--Brant

great movie, great song

• 6 months later...

Ian Bostridge

– Schubert*

Serenade

Softly pleading, my songs go

through the night to you;

in the quiet grove here down,

dearest come to me.

. . .

– Vaughan Williams*

Oh! Just today, for no reason was going through my head so strongly..

Someday, when I'm awfully low, and the world is cold, I will feel a glow just thinking of you, just the way you are tonight...

Misquoted probably, sorry (Cole Porter is it?)

Edited by daunce lynam

Someday, when I'm awfully low, and the world is cold, I will feel a glow just thinking of you, just the way you are tonight...

Carol,

...and the way you look tonight.

I just looked it up on Google song lyrics to check (because those few lines have haunted me for years), and see Harry Connick Jr, Frank Sinatra, and now Michael Buble, have all done versions.

Beautifully lilting tune.

Tony

Edited by whYNOT

Carol,

...and the way you look tonight.

I just looked it up on Google song lyrics to check (because those few lines have haunted me for years), and see Harry Connick Jr, Frank Sinatra, and now Michael Buble, have all done versions.

Beautifully lilting tune.

Tony

Thanks, Tony.The song-stuck-in-the-head syndrome can be maddening, of course, especially when it's ad jingles (I won't give examples here, for fear of contagion), but generally I enjoy the internal concert. Hymns are especially satisfying. "Glorious things of thee are spoken...who can faint, when such a river

ever flows our thirst to assuage?.." I don't get tired of that loop. And innocent, soaring pop from dimmest adolescence. Lately it's been "This Girl is a Woman Now" by Gary Puckett and the Union Gap. Gary was an undeservedly neglected giant of the Neolithic pop music . That song is so tender... reflects a time when the young male might have resented, disliked, used or scorned the young female in real life, but when he sang about her, he loved her .

The Beatles weren't at their best with love ballads imo. (Sorry, Kat!) "Michelle" was hardly worth recording.(Sorry,sorry...couldn't help it...it just slipped out). But I loved "Here, There and Everywhere". Heavenly to slow-dance to.

A great thing about the Ipod era is that when the urge to sing along overwhelms you in public, you can vocalize and nobody thinks you're crazy. Come to that you can talk to yourself and people will just assume you're on your phone. Not that I go around doing that. Usually.

The Beatles weren't at their best with love ballads imo. (Sorry, Kat!) "Michelle" was hardly worth recording.(Sorry,sorry...couldn't help it...it just slipped out). But I loved "Here, There and Everywhere". Heavenly to slow-dance to.

Shocking! Obviously you haven't heard the Cathy Berberian versions!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goeVbPvqrE8

Shocking! Obviously you haven't heard the Cathy Berberian versions!

ND,

Goes to show that nobody can "take a bad song, and make it better"...

(Apologies to 'Hey, Jude' - a good'un.)