Grammy 2009

Michael Stuart Kelly

Grammy 2009

I'm sitting here listening to the Grammy on TV and I think I'm getting old. This stuff is awful.

Maybe I have been spoiled by shows like Rock in Rio and other similar down in Brazil. They know how to do live sound down there.

Is there some kind of union issue with sound engineers here in the USA? There is just nothing but horrible horrible sound blaring at me. Every musician worth his salt knows live sound on TV is problematic, so I can make a discount for that. But what I am hearing right now is bullshit.

Even the artists. Keriiipes! Nobody sings. What the hell is going on? Even the rap artists sound more like Dr. Seuss than cool rappers. When there was a more traditional melodic artist like Neil Diamond, he talked and honked his way through "Sweet Caroline."

Alison Krauss was the only one who did any actual singing from what I heard, but they put her stuff together all messed up and managed to make her tiresome. You have to work hard to make Alison Krauss tiresome.

I think the worst moment wasn't musical, though. Some joker got up and said Obama had received 2 Grammies in the past and called on our glorious comrade Commander in Chief to create a cabinet post of Secretary of the Arts.

I'm going to go listen to a train wreck (I think I can find a recording somewhere) to see if I can clear my ears out.

Sorry to sound bitter, but I shrugged years ago and it still bothers me. Shit like this Grammy hurts...

Michael

EDIT: Kitten just reminded me that I missed listening to Paul McCartney. So I don't know how he did. But in my present humor, it's probably better that way. I missed some others as well, thank God...

Michael,

I've never been into the Grammies.

Heidi watches the Country Music Awards, and the live sound on the bits I've seen is frequently lousy. You'd think with their budgets they could come up with something better...

I've seen Neil Diamond fairly recently (he appeared as a celebrity coach on American Idol last season) and the guy's voice is shot. Can't blame the sound crew for that one.

Robert Campbell

Michael,

I've never been into the Grammies.

Heidi watches the Country Music Awards, and the live sound on the bits I've seen is frequently lousy. You'd think with their budgets they could come up with something better...

I've seen Neil Diamond fairly recently (he appeared as a celebrity coach on American Idol last season) and the guy's voice is shot. Can't blame the sound crew for that one.

I liked Neil Diamond a lot, decades ago, but even then not in the daytime or early evening. He was best after midnight. He had, appropriately, one song titled something like "I'm In Love with the Night-time." At least the phrase was in the lyrics. I also used to like gospel music, M. Jackson and Marion Williams, but that only lasted a year or two even though I was totally whacked out on it for a while. I gave almost all my LPs to the Westwood, NJ public library.

--Brant

Grammy 2009

I'm sitting here listening to the Grammy on TV and I think I'm getting old. This stuff is awful.

Maybe I have been spoiled by shows like Rock in Rio and other similar down in Brazil. They know how to do live sound down there.

Is there some kind of union issue with sound engineers here in the USA? There is just nothing but horrible horrible sound blaring at me. Every musician worth his salt knows live sound on TV is problematic, so I can make a discount for that. But what I am hearing right now is bullshit.

Even the artists. Keriiipes! Nobody sings. What the hell is going on? Even the rap artists sound more like Dr. Seuss than cool rappers. When there was a more traditional melodic artist like Neil Diamond, he talked and honked his way through "Sweet Caroline."

Alison Krauss was the only one who did any actual singing from what I heard, but they put her stuff together all messed up and managed to make her tiresome. You have to work hard to make Alison Krauss tiresome.

I think the worst moment wasn't musical, though. Some joker got up and said Obama had received 2 Grammies in the past and called on our glorious comrade Commander in Chief to create a cabinet post of Secretary of the Arts.

I'm going to go listen to a train wreck (I think I can find a recording somewhere) to see if I can clear my ears out.

Sorry to sound bitter, but I shrugged years ago and it still bothers me. Shit like this Grammy hurts...

Michael

EDIT: Kitten just reminded me that I missed listening to Paul McCartney. So I don't know how he did. But in my present humor, it's probably better that way. I missed some others as well, thank God...

I passed on the Grammys, which, for a musician seems odd. There wasn't anything of interest for me. In 2007 it was the return (briefly I'm afraid) of the Police. Prior to that the opening of the 2006 Grammy's had a musical "mash-up" of several bands which seemed to work.

I understand the producers of the show were trying to revise the format to bring more viewers in. Apparently they didn't succeed.

And, Michael, how are you NOT in the doghouse (or litter box, maybe? :) ) with Kat for missing Sir Paul! :)

Yep, You'd better believe that Michael had kitty litter in his grape nuts the next morning! meow.

Kat

LOL!! Why does that not surprise me, Kat? :) Ahh, but, Michael, she still loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah! ;)