50th Anniversary of the Day the Music Died.

Chris Grieb

I can't remember the event but I remember the aftermath.

Don McLean made it unforgettable in the song American Pie.

Buddy Holly's widow and his first drummer are still alive and are interviewed in a great piece in today WSJ.

Chris:

Deon who was 17 was also on the bus and they tried to talk him into the plane charter. His share would have been $36.00. The heaters on the old buses they were using for the tour kept going out.

Roger Peterson was the pilot.

Adam

Thanks Chris. I was going to put up a thing about Buddy, but you beat me to it. He is one of the all time greats and a great inspiration to many. A few months back we saw the play The Buddy Holly Story. Go see it or rent the movie. It is a very good show. Here's some video of the late great Buddy Holly.

and here is Paul McCartney performing a Buddy Holly song, Words of Love

Kat

keeping classic rock alive

Kat:

Thank you so much. I never saw/heard that 1985 solo by Paul. Amazingly talented musician.

Adam

Kat; Thanks for those two wonderful videos. I have never seen either of them and they are both great.

I have to mention that Buddy Holly and John Wayne have a connection. In John Wayne's greatest movie "The Searchers" the John Wayne character says several times "That'll be the day." Buddy Holly saw the movie heard the line and wrote one of his best songs. I think you can all guess the title.