Number 6 died yesterday

Patric McGoohan who played Number 6 on -The Prisoner- and John Drake on -Danger Man- died yesterday in his 80s.

Odds are he won't live to see tomorrow.

But he will be missed.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Folks:

There is a project about to be launched that will be bringing the Prisoner back to television - do not know who the lead actor will be yet.

Adam

Folks:

There is a project about to be launched that will be bringing the Prisoner back to television - do not know who the lead actor will be yet.

James Caviezel will be #6. Ian McKellan will be #2. (I'd rather they have a different #2 each week, like the original did).

Folks:

James Caviezel will be #6. Ian McKellan will be #2. (I'd rather they have a different #2 each week, like the original did).

Jesus as six and Gandalf as two?

“I am not a number -- I am a free man.”

"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29JewlGsYxs

Title sequence:

From the last episode, Fall Out, the rebellion of youth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWRmf1EnGzg

From the last episode, #6 addressed the assembly:

I always thought there was something more to the character of the "president" (leader of the assembly in Fall Out dressed like an english judge).

Ted:

PORTMEIRION Hotel ( the location that was used) is in North Wales - are we counting that as a Mediterranean country?????

Adam

Ted:

PORTMEIRION Hotel ( the location that was used) is in North Wales - are we counting that as a Mediterranean country?????

McGoohen visited the hotel when they did an episode of Danger Man, and he was struck by the whole place. The guy who had designed/built it used a wide variety of styles, giving it an kind of unusual atmosphere.

During the broadcast of The Prisoner, they never gave the location until the credits of the final episode.

The building that housed #6's apartment now houses a shop that sells #6 merchandise. They also have annual Prisoner conventions there.

In which episode did the Prisoner buy a copy of Bizet's L'Arlesienne?

Hammer into Anvil. Number 2 was Patric Carghill. This was my favorite episode of the series. That look on #6 face when he vowed to destroy #2. It was the look that Rand described on Franscisco's face when he created a financial panic at Cheryl's wedding party.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

I've a thought. When I came to NYC area in 1960 I had the opportunity to watch "The Untouchables" in first broadcast and I watched a few. I didn't like it much. I especially disliked the Walter Winchell over-narration. I was 16-18 at the time. Before Objectivism in my life. Some years later I heard Barbara Branden exclaiming how liking that show was proof positive of some kind of superior this or that as opposed to what, I don't remember. She invited people in the audience to raise hands in support, if I recall correctly. I don't remember if this was a live lecture or tape. This was before "The Break." Now, all here, except maybe moi, like "The Prisoner." Well, I saw a few of the episodes, way back then. I hated that the "hero" "won" only by breaking even. He was still a prisoner. I don't know--please don't tell me--if he busted out at the end; I intend to watch all these episodes sequentially. But what I originally saw I did not like! If I want to exercise my brain--well, maybe I don't want to, real way down deep: that's why I'm curious to see the series in toto, front to back--or is it back to front? This is a "thinking man's" (woman's) show, no? (Hey, remember that stupid Viceroy cigarette commercial from the 1960s? "A cigarette for a man who thinks for himself?")

--Brant

• 8 months later...

In which episode did the Prisoner buy a copy of Bizet's L'Arlesienne?

Hammer into Anvil. My very most favorite of -The Prisoner- series. Patric Carghill played a despicable #2 and #6 destroyed him in a just and condign manner.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The Prisoner

I just rented the 1st DVD of this, after reading this thread. I like it so far, though compared to Ivan Denisovich I’d have to say #6 has it pretty cushy. Thanks for the recommendation.

• 4 weeks later...

All hail to his long and productive life and to the characters he created.

... but... that said...

when you said that "Number 6" had died, I thought you meant NUMBER SIX:

TriciaHelfer-NumberSix.jpg

Edited by Michael E. Marotta

hmmm, I wonder, if Ayn Rand had looked like that, would all those liberal lechers still be so mean to her?

Well, probably, yes, they would still be "equal opportunity haters." After all, they don't like Ann Coulter or Laura Ingraham. And the fact that Fox News uses female anchors and commentators that could give this "Number Six" a run for her money, doesn't help their ratings with the libs!

All hail to his long and productive life and to the characters he created.

... but... that said...

when you said that "Number 6" had died, I thought you meant NUMBER SIX:

TriciaHelfer-NumberSix.jpg

Hi Mike:

How is that project you were working on with FD working out?

To us blond challenged...who is this?

Adam

Adam,

If you right click on the picture and select "properties" her name is given in the location address [Tricia Helfer]. There is a wikipedia page dedicated to her.

Mikee:

Thank you so much.

Forgot that one, good grief, I have to refresh my skills on this regimen.

Adam