Holden Kempf

Hello,

My name is Holden Kempf, and I currently reside in North Carolina. Just a little bit about me: I'm currently the owner and manager of my own small buisness and a 12-year veteran of the US Marine Corps. Let's see, ok, also I'm a middle-aged African American whose the father of a perfect daughter, a widower, avid bass fisherman and a lover of art and music.

On Objectivism, I'm fairly famliar with the works of Ayn Rand, as well as some of the related literature on Objectivism done by other authors. Online forums like this are a brand new expierence for me, but I thought it might be fun to try my hand at it. I found this website by searching the google listings for sites of this type and decided to sign up for 2 of them, this one and Solo passion.

Once again, hello

Holden

Edited by Holden Kempf

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holden:

Welcome aboard and Semper Fi.

My good friend is a fanatic bass fisherman.

I think you will find this an interesting place to be amused as well as enlightened.

Adam

Hello,

My name is Holden Kempf, and I currently reside in North Carolina. Just a little bit about me: I'm currently the owner and manager of my own small buisness and a 12-year veteran of the US Marine Corps. Let's see, ok, also I'm a middle-aged African American whose the father of a perfect daughter, a widower, avid bass fisherman and a lover of art and music.

On Objectivism, I'm fairly famliar with the works of Ayn Rand, as well as some of the related literature on Objectivism done by other authors. Online forums like this are a brand new expierence for me, but I thought it might be fun to try my hand at it. I found this website by searching the google listings for sites of this type and decided to sign up for 2 of them, this one and Solo passion.

Once again, hello

Holden

Baruch ha'ba'ah (welcome).

The days you spend fishing are not subtracted from your life.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Welcome Holden; I have relatives who are former and future marines. My brother-in-law served in Viet-Nam. My nephew is in NROTC at University of Virginia.

This is a fun site. Enjoy!

Edited by Chris Grieb

Holden,

Semper Fi, and welcome to OL. Nice people here.

I am also a veteran Marine, but two years were enough for me (1968-1970). We were a Marine family. My father was in the 1st MarDiv on Okinawa, one of my cousins was a 20-year man in the Marine Band, and another cousin did two very rough tours in Vietnam. One tour there was enough for me.

North Carolina is a beautiful state. I almost moved there many years ago when looking for a teaching job. It was my number one choice of area, but I got an offer of a job in my hometown instead. A professional mountaineer that I once met, who had been to Everest and just about every good climbing spot in the world, told me that “North Carolina is the best-kept secret in American rock climbing.” Vast walls of granite. One can even ice climb there in high remote places in winter.

-Ross Barlow.

Holden,

Semper Fi, and welcome to OL. Nice people here.

I am also a veteran Marine, but two years were enough for me (1968-1970). We were a Marine family. My father was in the 1st MarDiv on Okinawa, one of my cousins was a 20-year man in the Marine Band, and another cousin did two very rough tours in Vietnam. One tour there was enough for me.

North Carolina is a beautiful state. I almost moved there many years ago when looking for a teaching job. It was my number one choice of area, but I got an offer of a job in my hometown instead. A professional mountaineer that I once met, who had been to Everest and just about every good climbing spot in the world, told me that "North Carolina is the best-kept secret in American rock climbing." Vast walls of granite. One can even ice climb there in high remote places in winter.

Ross, were you drafted into the Marines?

--Brant

Hello,

Once again, hello

Holden

Holden -

Welcome to Objectivist Living. I urge you to browse around, and familiarize yourself with what is here. There's a lot of good material available.

The environment is collegial. Expect to have ideas challenged. It's a good place to learn.

Bill P (Alfonso)

--Brant

No, Brant, I was a volunteer. But I’ll bet you asked that because my enlistment was only two years, the same length of a draftee’s enlistment.

My cousin volunteered in the USMC in 1966 and had to go with the three year enlistment that was then the shortest hitch, but by the time I signed up in the summer of 1968, policy had changed I could choose a two year hitch.

-Ross Barlow.

--Brant

No, Brant, I was a volunteer. But I'll bet you asked that because my enlistment was only two years, the same length of a draftee's enlistment.

My cousin volunteered in the USMC in 1966 and had to go with the three year enlistment that was then the shortest hitch, but by the time I signed up in the summer of 1968, policy had changed I could choose a two year hitch.

My brother enlisted for two years in early 1966. I believe he set the small arms record at Pendleton with an M-14. They made him a photographer.

--Brant

My brother enlisted for two years in early 1966. I believe he set the small arms record at Pendleton with an M-14. They made him a photographer.

I have an artist friend who was drafted toward the end of the Vietnam war. When he was inducted, they asked him what he was interested in, if he had any areas of expertise. He answered "art." They put him in artillery. I guess that's military logic for you. I imagine that if he had answered that he had studied neonatology, they would have put him in the infantry.

J

Bill, Ross, Chris, and Selene: I thank you for the respectful welcome.

Holden,

I see my name is not there, so my welcome quip probably caused a poor first impression. Let me rectify that. No disrespect at all was intended. Welcome aboard. You sound intelligent and sincere, so I hope you contribute value here and find value. There are many good and intelligent people on OL.

Now I have an observation. Here is how you presented yourself to OL:

I found this website by searching the google listings for sites of this type and decided to sign up for 2 of them, this one and Solo passion.

Once again, hello

No problem on this end. The Internet is a free country. Now when I look at how you presented yourself to Solo Passion, I read the following:

I found this website by searching the google listings for sites of this type and decided to sign up for 2 of them.

Once again, hello

It's your writing so do as you please, but first impressions cut both ways.

Michael

Michael,

You're correct, I don't respond to "yo's". But I thank you for the apology.

But as to the rest of your post: are you serious, or is this some kind of inside joke I'm not understanding?

Otherwise, I have to believe that you went to another website, to read a hello message of a total stranger, to then compare it to a cut and paste of slightly revised version of that same message on another website? Is that normal ettiquette on internet forums? And what on god's earth does that have to do with "first impressions cutting both ways"? I'm sorry, Michael, but you'll have to forgive me if I find that just a little bit odd and bordering on creepy. I'm not trying to offend, and perhaps there is something here I'm totally missing, so I'll just drop it.

Holden

Edited by Holden Kempf

Wouldn't it be funny if this guy were Pross?

(Proxies don't hide everything... :) )

I ain't geek enough to be 100% sure, but I have backroom information that gives me about a 90% probability that this is he. Imagine if he were over there on SOLOP yukking it up at the warm reception, too. :)

At a 10% risk of offending a person unfairly, we are here in the Garbage Pile where this belongs. It will only leave the Garbage Pile when I get more than proxy IP's, a brand spanking new gmail account and some shaggy dog story as ID.

My apologies to the OL members who posted in good faith.

Michael

I ain't geek enough to be 100% sure, but I have backroom information that gives me about a 90% probability that this is he. Imagine if he were over there on SOLOP yukking it up at the warm reception, too. :)

At a 10% risk of offending a person unfairly, we are here in the Garbage Pile where this belongs. It will only leave the Garbage Pile when I get more than proxy IP's, a brand spanking new gmail account and some shaggy dog story as ID.

Michael

Michael:

Actually, it was the African American statement that jumped out at me. I do not know the distribution in the Randian world today of black folk, but they were pretty sparse at NBI and virtually absent at the Libertarian Conventions.

Plus that particular phase "African American" always pissed me off.

Adam

Michael

Michael:

Actually, it was the African American statement that jumped out at me. I do not know the distribution in the Randian world today of black folk, but they were pretty sparse at NBI and virtually absent at the Libertarian Conventions.

Adam

Qua an individualist philosophy, blacks or African-Americans don't say they are such in my experience, but that they are Objectivists.

Victor must have time on his hands.

--Brant

It's interesting that one thing--there are others--that SOLOP and OL agree on is they want nothing to do with Victor. Angie hasn't posted since last February. She indicated to me that she felt physically threatened by Victor. I referenced her a book on how to disappear and then she did. I hope she's okay. I consider Victor to be potentially an extremely dangerous man because he has no center. I could never knowingly publish material not my own without proper attribution out of ego. He did that many hundreds if not thousands of times. You need ego to be responsible, both to yourself and others.

--Brant

Michael

Michael:

Adam

Qua an individualist philosophy, blacks or African-Americans don't say they are such in my experience, but that they are Objectivists.

Victor must have time on his hands.

--Brant

Precisely Brant - an individualist would not self define their persona as part of a group.

Dear Holden Kempf:

Mail me a copy of your NC driver's license and your military discharge in the next 10 days and I'll send you a check for $500 to the address on the driver's license and post here that I did. You can cross out the identifying number.

Brant Gaede

POB 64247

Tucson, AZ 85728