The Day The Earth Stood Still (remake)

Exactly! Tolkien was a linguist and a luddite, his point of writing the LOTR series was to come up with some inspiring English lore, attack modernization and technology (that is what he was quoted as saying the goblins and armies of mordor represented) and make up his own languages. The movies took that crap out and left the good story.

The motion pictures butchered the contents of the novel.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Exactly! Tolkien was a linguist and a luddite, his point of writing the LOTR series was to come up with some inspiring English lore, attack modernization and technology (that is what he was quoted as saying the goblins and armies of mordor represented) and make up his own languages. The movies took that crap out and left the good story.

The motion pictures butchered the contents of the novel.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Only the dumb parts.

The closing scene for TDTESS (original) can be found at

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/quotes

See if there is anything there you disagree with.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The closing scene for TDTESS (original) can be found at

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/quotes

See if there is anything there you disagree with.

I see you like an active God and an authority figure. Well, whom does the United States (Gort) bomb first?

--Brant

Since when is an artificial device a God?

Such a device is beneficial as long as it operates on principles its makers ordain and cannot be corrupted. It is the very Objective Governor that acolytes of Ayn Rand lust for. Its rules of operation are clear, unambiguous and definite. It operates on these rules and facts.

I see four basic alternatives.

1. Anarchy

2. A fallible corruption prone government such as we have, who problems are exacerbated by being driven by the Mob (that is democracy).

3. A tyranny imposed by force. The downside of tyranny is that it is likely to be whim driven and unaccountable. A just tyrant we could live with or under, but what guarantees that the tyrant will be just?

4. A Gort like mechanism that enforces the rules and keeps the peace.

#4 is nice in that it could permit people to operate freely as long as they are not unaccountable or irresponsible. Unfortunately (or fortunately) we do not have the technology for #4

Ba'al Chatzaf

Baal and Ted's reactions are what my friend Johnny calls "Nerd Rage"

I re-watch the series once or twice a year. Have you seen the extended versions? Even better...

I thought the movies did a wonderful job of capturing the essence of the books witeout seeming to go on forever.

In the order given: Nerd Rage. I like that. May I recommend a book? -American Nerd: The Story of My People- by Benjamin Nugent. He even has a chapter dedicated to Aspies (people who present Asperger's Syndrome).

Next. I rewatch etc...

I reread LOTR (the novel) and the Silmarillian at least once a year. I am of the opinion that Tolkien is one of the greatest writers of our age. He writes better than Rand. Tolkien is not only the master of our language, but he has literally -created- a world, complete with a history and a theology. The Main God is Eru/Illuvatar who created the demiurges, the Valar, that at one timed ruled Middle Earth.

The third item: The movies left out exactly what makes the novel great, including the "back story" of the Valar. Without which the final scene of Gandalph, Elrond, Frodo, Bilbo and other notables taking a boat ride has no meaning whatsoever. That boat ride is along the Straight Path to the land where the Valar live and reign.

In short, the motion pictures miss the point. They barely touch on the tragic sundering of Aragorn and Arwen, which is described in an appendix to the LOTR trilogy (you have to read everything)

As I said, the motion pictures are a Franken-LOTR consisting of parts sewn together badly.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Baal and Ted's reactions are what my friend Johnny calls "Nerd Rage"

I re-watch the series once or twice a year. Have you seen the extended versions? Even better...

Michael, there are advantages to being simpleminded. Having a less critical eye does make the enjoyment of childish delights much easier. People with Down's syndrome are much more likely to smile than to frown, and I envy you your ability to enjoy mindless diversions. No where have I raged against the fact that there are people who enjoy these movies. I congratulate you.

Bob, I agree with your opinion of Tolkien. But once a year? I have read LoTR twice since the millenium (just finished two months ago) and am now in the middle of The Silmarillion. I assume you read the Making of Middle Earth series as well?

• 2 weeks later...

A quick look at the latesst figures on the IMDB show that the second week for TDTESS was very poor. That probably due to all the attacks here on OL. It looks like a big flop.

Edited by Chris Grieb

Ted,

It must be the artist in me who loses himself in his art when he performs, but when I see a movie I really like (and even one I don't), I can't think of a better place to see it except in a theater.

I don't want a pause button at that moment. Not even a loved one to cuddle. I want to lose myself in the movie. A gigantic proscenium screen, darkened hall and great sound all do the trick for me.

The only time I don't like seeing a movie in a theater is when the audience is misbehaved or there is some other irritating distraction like a blown speaker. Then I start thinking fondly about grenades and machine guns...

Michael

0_61_320man.jpg

PHILADELPHIA — Afamily talking during a movie enraged a nearby viewer so badly that heshot the father in the arm, MyFoxPhiladelphia reports.

Ted; Maybe you're going to the wrong movies.

I haven't gone out to see a movie since Fellowship of the Ring. As for home viewing, in the past week Double Indemnity was without incident, but Lady Windermere's Fan resulted in a bloody nose. What movies would you suggest?

double_sunglasses.jpg

"Lady Windermere's Fan resulted in a bloody nose"

I'm on the side of whoever thought that cad Lord Darlington deserved a good thrashing. Watching movies sounds like great fun at your house Ted!

It was commonly conceded that both the Lord and Lady Windermere as well as Lord Darlington were in the right based upon the knowledge available to them. That's what makes it such a good drama.

The dispute was over whether the 2005 adaptation was more watchable than the canonical 1985 BBC version, or just a mediocre performance which depended upon its location (shot on the Amalfi coast of Italy) and on star power for its success. Being a distant relative of Johanssen, I had to defend her honor, even though I actually prefer the BBC rendering. My sister's sister-in-law, a rabid Helen Hunt detractor, landed the punch.