Paul Newman, RIP

This is very sad news. I think he was the biggest star to come out of the 50ths.

As a tribute get The Sting from Netflix and watch it.

I will toast Paul over a cup of Newman's Special Blend Coffee.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Michael:

Yes, his eyes were incredible.

My aunt always said, "He can park his shoes under my bed anytime!" Nothing like Northern Italian women.

Adam

Folks, this is a new site that I got Tuesday from a client in Missouri and I am still exploring it, but I was able to watch the premier of House Tuesday night when I got back from the chess club.

This is to the great body of work that this incredible actor graced us with for 6 decades. I hope somebody up there does like him, because we sure liked him down here. Thanks for everything Paul, well done.

http://www.fancast.com/people/Paul-Newman/16225/main

Adam

My two favorites were Slap Shot and The Color of Money. I've seen quite a few others, but these two I remember most.

Thanks, Paul. Rest in peace.

~ Shane

Chris:

Didn't Gail Wynand do something similar with one of the buildings that some mediocrity designed?

Adam

Folks, this I did not know.

Mr. Newman made his Hollywood debut in the 1954 costume film “The Silver Chalice.” Stardom arrived a year and a half later, when he inherited from James Dean the role of the boxer Rocky Graziano in “Somebody Up There Likes Me.” Mr. Dean had been killed in a car crash before the screenplay was finished.

It was a rapid rise for Mr. Newman, but being taken seriously as an actor took longer. He was almost undone by his star power, his classic good looks and, most of all, his brilliant blue eyes. “I picture my epitaph,” he once said. “Here lies Paul Newman, who died a failure because his eyes turned brown.”

Funny dude.

Adam

I frequently grit my teeth at political statements made by Hollywood folk. I didn't do that with Paul Newman and even through I very often disagreed with him. I think I always he was thinking. I'll miss him. Check TCM as they should be honoring him with a day.

Paul Newman's greatness of heart and spirit and his generosity was a virtue as he practiced them. He was generous with his own money which he earned righteously and he was not apparently motivated by guilt. He was just what he appeared to be, a very nice, sweet man. May he be remembered for a blessing.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I most respect Newman for the simple fact that he was married to the same woman for 50 years. It was his second marriage. A 55-year marriage is a very rare thing in Hollywood.

As an aside, Karl Malden and his wife are both still alive. This year is their 70th anniversary.

Edited by Chris Baker