cheap stay in LA

It looks like I will be flying to LA for a weekend workshop the first weekend of December. More specifically, it is in Santa Monica on Michigan Avenue. I will be in touch with the instructor next week and will see about setting up a room-share, as other people are travelling.

It looks like public transportation can get me from LAX to Santa Monica. It also looks like hotels are pretty pricey there. I've looked around and found mostly resort-type places. I haven't found anything like a Super 8 or a Motel 6 there. Even the Best Western was pretty expensive. I don't need a resort. I don't care about the beach.

I'm also going to assume that hotel taxes are outrageous. After all, this is Taxifornia.

I will be arriving on Friday morning probably from Austin, Texas. I will go to the workshop at 6pm or so. I will spend just about all day (10am to midnight) Saturday and Sunday in the workshop. All I need is a safe and comfortable bed and a clean bathroom. Then I will return to Austin on Monday.

It looks like it might be cheaper to rent a car and stay several miles outside of Santa Monica. Yet, it seems foolish to rent a car when I will be in this workshop for about 14 hours on two of the days. I also want to make sure that I am within a half hour of Santa Monica.

Perhaps, I have been lucky. I have never had a bad driving experience in LA.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 months later...

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Chris, when I was recently out of college and in a new city, I stayed for a few days at the YMCA. Seedy, dodgy depending on the city. Other alterns were youth hostels (no age limit...but I think you may have to join in adv...google those two words). Later, when my income went up slightly (and here's what you might try): Motel 6 or other budget place - clean, quiet, swimming pool... pretty cheap. If it's out of the city, just get up early and use LA's public transportation. Buses run up and down Wilshire and connect to light rail and other buses.

I happen to -like- light rail and buses. I just bring a book and a sandwhich.

I eat one and read the other.

> Does anyone have any suggestions?

Chris, when I was recently out of college and in a new city, I stayed for a few days at the YMCA. Seedy, dodgy depending on the city. Other alterns were youth hostels (no age limit...but I think you may have to join in adv...google those two words). Later, when my income went up slightly (and here's what you might try): Motel 6 or other budget place - clean, quiet, swimming pool... pretty cheap. If it's out of the city, just get up early and use LA's public transportation. Buses run up and down Wilshire and connect to light rail and other buses.

I happen to -like- light rail and buses. I just bring a book and a sandwhich.

I eat one and read the other.

How do you read a "sandwhich" (sic)?

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

I have sent out plenty of requests. I have one possibility. Unfortunately, she has a cat. I may be able to deal with that. I may not. My allergies are completely random.

"Getting up early" to wait on buses is not an option. I have done classes with these guys before. If I don't get adequate sleep, there is no point in doing the workshop at all. One of the most important goals I have in choosing a place to stay is to get good sleep.

Switchboard has turned up some things. It looks like I will be renting a car. That extends my range to about a half hour drive time.