AFI's 100 Years 100 Cheers

Every year AFI does a movie complation.You can find the full list of hundred at www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/cheers.htm

This year it was the above title which is a way of saying inspiring films. The #1 was It's a Wonderful Life. I suspect that most Objectivists would not consider this there favorite inspiring film. My question is what film would you consider your most inspiring film.

The link was not working on your post because there was a period at the end of it. I just fixed it. AFI also has some interesting lists of films that may help jog your memory. There are a lot of great movies out there.

My inspiring movie? The Wizard of Oz. I'm just a big kid I guess. :D

Kat

• 17 years later...
On 6/15/2006 at 2:57 AM, Chris Grieb said:

Every year AFI does a movie complation.You can find the full list of hundred at www.afi.com/tvevents/100years/cheers.htm

This year it was the above title which is a way of saying inspiring films. The #1 was It's a Wonderful Life. I suspect that most Objectivists would not consider this there favorite inspiring film. My question is what film would you consider your most inspiring film.

See any good movies lately? Are you having a time getting those catch phrases out of your frontal lobe? I think Geek Tyrant had 150 of these so I just cut and pasted the one’s I liked or just remember. Peter

From Geek Tyrant: ““They’re heeeere!” – POLTERGEIST – Carol Anne Freeling, notifying her parents of the spirits present

“Good morning, Vietnam!” – GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM – Adrian Cronauer’s greeting on his radio show

“Say ‘hello’ to my little friend!” – SCARFACE – Tony Montana, shouting his battle cry before an ambush

“Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.” – THE PRINCESS BRIDE – Inigo Montoya, to the 6-fingered man, before his final battle with him

“Heeeeere’s Johnny!” – THE SHINING – Jack Torrance, maniacally calling to his wife with the intent to kill

l“A martini…shaken, not stirred.” – GOLDFINGER – James Bond, ordering his signature drink

“Alrighty then!” – ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE – Ace Ventura, acknowledging a confirmation

Surely, you can’t be serious.” – “I am serious, and don’t call me Shirley.” – AIRPLANE! – Stryker, reacting to a request to land a plane (pilots incapacitated)

“You talkin’ to me?” – TAXI DRIVER – Travis Bickle, practicing a confrontation in the mirror

“You’ve gotta ask yourself a question: do I feel lucky? …well, do ya, punk?!?” – DIRTY HARRY – Harry, speaking to a criminal suspect before arresting him

“I’m as mad as hell, and I’m not gonna take this anymore!” – NETWORK – Howard Beale, broadcasting to the nation, to get mad and scream

“Go ahead, make my day.” – SUDDEN IMPACT – Harry Callahan, to a small-time restaurant robber

“Resistance is futile.” – STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT – The Borg, to the USS Enterprise crew, informing them of the impending invasion

“Get off my plane.” – AIR FORCE ONE – President Marshall, to Egor Korshunov, before throwing him off the cargo bay

“Get away from her, you BITCH!!!” – ALIENS – Ellen Ripley, to the Alien queen, rescuing Newt

“Run, Forrest, run!” – FORREST GUMP – Jenny, to Forrest, running from school bullies

“I’ll be back.” – THE TERMINATOR – Terminator, to a police front desk clerk before breaking in

“Ding-dong, the witch is dead!” – THE WIZARD OF OZ – The Munchkins, celebrating the Wicked Witch’s death

“SHOW ME THE MONEY!!!” – JERRY MAGUIRE – Jerry, to Rod Tidwell, obeying him in order to stay his agent

“Excellent!” – BILL & TED’S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE – Bill & Ted, reacting to the King’s command to take them to the iron maiden

“You can’t handle the truth!” – A FEW GOOD MEN – Col. Fessep to Lt. Jr. Grade Kaffee on ordering a Code Red

“We’re on a mission from God.” – THE BLUES BROTHERS – Elwood Blues, explaining why they need Mr. Fabulous

“Shaa, and monkeys might fly out of my butt!” – WAYNE’S WORLD – Wayne, reacting to hosting Wayne’s World for a living

“Yipee kayaye, motherfucker!” DIE HARD – John McClane, spewing out a phrase after Hans Gruber predicts him doing it

“I feel the need…the need for speed.” – TOP GUN – Maverick, preparing for flight

“If you build it, he will come.” – FIELD OF DREAMS – A whispering voice, encouraging to Ray Kinsella to build a baseball field

“You’re gonna need a bigger boat.” – JAWS – Martin Brody to Robert Shaw, warning of the shark’s size

“Badges? We don’t have no badges. We don’t need no badges. I don’t have . to show you any stinking badges!” – THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE – Gold Hat, reacting to Dobbs prompting him to prove they are policemen

“I am your father.” – STAR WARS EPISODE V: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK – Darth Vader, revealing his true past to his son, Luke Skywalker

“I see dead people.” – THE SIXTH SENSE – Cole Sear, revealing his secret to Dr. Malcom Crowe

“Toto, I have a feeling we’re not in Kansas anymore.” – THE WIZARD OF OZ – Dorothy, to her dog, realizing where they are

“My momma always said, . ‘Life is like a box of chocolates: you never know what you’re gonna get.”‘ – FORREST GUMP – Forrest, telling someone at a bus stop his mother’s musings

“It’s alive! It’s alive! IT’S ALIVE!!!” – FRANKENSTEIN – Henry Frankenstein, reacting to his creation coming alive

“I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.” – SILENCE OF THE LAMBS – Hannibal Lecter, telling Clarice Starling what he did to a census taker

“I’m gonna make him an offer he can’t refuse.” – THE GODFATHER – Don Corleone, to Johnny Fontane, about his plans for a Hollywood director

“Soylent Green is people!” – SOYLENT GREEN – Detective Thorn, to a surrounding crowd, about the secret of soylent green

“You don’t understand! I coulda had class! I coulda been a contender. I coulda . been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am.” – ON THE WATERFRONT – Terry Malloy, to his brother Charley, on what could have been without fixing fights

“Here’s lookin’ at you, kid.” – CASABLANCA – Rick Blaine, to Ilsa Lund, cheering her up while breaking up

“They may take our lives, but they’ll never take…OUR FREEDOM!” – BRAVEHEART
– William Wallace, to his army, before going into battle

“Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” – GONE WITH THE WIND – Rhett Butler, to Scarlett, answering her question of where to go, what to do

“Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in!” – THE GODFATHER PART III – Michael Corleone, commenting on the impossibility to escape from mob life

“They’re back!” – POLTERGEIST 2 – Carol Anne Freeling, informing her parents of the spirits’ return

“E.T. phone home.” – E.T.: THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL – E.T., the alien, declaring his desire to make contact with his native alien race

“There’s no place like home.” – THE WIZARD OF OZ – Dorothy, performing the ritual of returning back to her home from Oz

“Yo, Adrian!” – ROCKY – Rocky Balboa, giving a “shout out” to his then girlfriend, Adrian Pennino

“Hey Stella! HEY STELLA!!!” – A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE – Stanley Kowalski, calling to his wife, Stella Kowalski

“You…complete me.” – JERRY MAGUIRE – Jerry Maguire, to Dorothy Boyd, expressing his love for her

“You had me at ‘hello’.” – JERRY MAGUIRE – Dorothy Boyd, to Jerry Maguire, reciprocating Jerry’s love

“I’m not bad. I’m just drawn that way.” – WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT? – Jessica Rabbit, to Eddie Valiant, on how hard it is to be a sultry, cartoon woman

“Ssssssssssssmokin’!” – THE MASK – “The Mask,” greeting the night with an expression of excitement

“Mrs. Robinson, you’re trying to seduce me!” – THE GRADUATE – Ben Braddock, calling Mrs. Robinson out on plying her wiles

“I’ll have what she’s having.” – WHEN HARRY MET SALLY – A female restaurant patron, to a server, asking for whatever Sally Albright ate

“My precious!” – THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS – Gollum, answering Faramir’s question, “What did they steal?”, referring to the ring

“Is it safe?” – THE MARATHON MAN – Dr. Szell, to Thomas “Babe” Levy, as he drills into his teeth without anesthetic

“Hey! I’m walking here! I’m walking here!” – MIDNIGHT COWBOY – Ratso, angrily responding to a taxi driver honking his horn

“I’m the king of the world!” – TITANIC – Jack Dawson, expressing excitement at the front end of the Titanic

“Feed me, Seymour!” – LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS – Audrey II, to Seymour Krelborn, asking him for more food, asking for blood

“Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!” – THE WIZARD OF OZ – The Wizard, to Dorothy, the Scarecrow, the Cowardly Lion, and the Tinman . upon discovering he’s not a big, scary figure, but a man hiding behind a curtain

“Live long and prosper.” – STAR TREK – Spock, to the Vulcan Science Academy, expressing his farewell

“May the Force be with you.” – STAR WARS EPISODE IV: A NEW HOPE – Jan Dodonna, to the Rebels, wishing them luck before attacking the Death Star

“Hasta la vista…baby.” – TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY – The Terminator, to T-1000, before shattering his liquid nitrogen frozen body

“After all, tomorrow is another day.” – GONE WITH THE WIND – Scarlett O’Hara to herself, convinced she can get Rhett Butler back

Another interesting search? Atlas Shrugged the movie was in three parts. Search for who was in any of those movies. Very interesting, like Robert Picardo who played the hologram doctor on Star Trek Voyager was in one of the three.