The Man from Earth

sbeaulieu

I have a subscription to Netflix and often watch movies online. This movie is great. The basics are about a man who reveals to his colleagues that he has lived 14,000 years. Questions are abound as his friends, all professors, barrage him with questions. The answers might surprise you. I felt as if I were sitting at the fireside absorbing it all.

Anyone else seen this?

~ Shane

P.S. IMDB link - The Man from Earth

Edited by sbeaulieu

I have a subscription to Netflix and often watch movies online. This movie is great. The basics are about a man who reveals to his colleagues that he has lived 14,000 years. Questions are abound as his friends, all professors, barrage him with questions. The answers might surprise you. I felt as if I were sitting at the fireside absorbing it all.

Anyone else seen this?

~ Shane

Sounds good, I'll look for it.

I have one to suggest. It's titled, "Rain." Several versions have been filmed. I know of the one with Joan Crawford. This is like no movie I've ever seen before or after. It is philosophical, psychological, and very artistic. As for story-telling, it "goes all the way." If only one in a thousand movies lived up to this one!! If anyone looks it up, let me know what you thought of it.

= Mindy

Mindy: "I have one to suggest. It's titled, "Rain." Several versions have been filmed. I know of the one with Joan Crawford. This is like no movie I've ever seen before or after. It is philosophical, psychological, and very artistic. As for story-telling, it "goes all the way." If only one in a thousand movies lived up to this one!! If anyone looks it up, let me know what you thought of it."

I've seen "Rain" -- the Joan Crawford version-- several times. I agree that it's a remarkably fine movie. The performances of Crawford and Walter Huston are superb, the story is intensely dramatic and gripping -- and the climax is one of the great shockers of moviedom. It's brilliantly adapted from a short story of the same name by Somerset Maugham, who is one o the great masters of the short story.

Barbara

I once tried to watch a movie called "Rain." I couldn't stand it; the rain never stopped. I'll try again.

--Brant

Yes, I suppose that would be unnerving for someone from Tucson!

= Mindy

Brant: "I once tried to watch a movie called "Rain." I couldn't stand it; the rain never stopped. I'll try again."

I just looked up the weather forecast. It's stopped raining, so you'll ll be able to see the movie without getting soaked this time. .

Barbara

Ahem, my house has a roof. Fortunately, that option was chosen when it was built.

--Brant

If I could, I'd change the thread title to "Rain" since Mindy hijacked it :P

Sorry, but I don't think anybody's seen your movie.

I'd love to hear how you guys would state the theme of Rain.

= Mindy

If I could, I'd change the thread title to "Rain" since Mindy hijacked it :P

Sorry, but I don't think anybody's seen your movie.

I'd love to hear how you guys would state the theme of Rain.

= Mindy

Might I suggest starting a new thread with a "spoiler" subtitle. This way, those that have watched it can discuss it without giving it away to those of us that haven't.

It's the primary reason I haven't gone into it here with The Man from Earth. Great movie with lots of topics that could be dissected.

~ Shane