An axiomatic paradox?

Roger Bissell

With her apron wrapped about her I took her for a swan.

Alas and alack

It was her my Polly Von

--Brant

A-muse-ing, Brant

Alas and alack,

I want my bullet back,

I will no more hunt swan,

To remember Polly Von.

= Mindy

Thx for fixing that up for me, Mindy, but it wasn't a bullet in the Peter, Paul & Mary version, it was an arrow.

--Brant

"Alas and alack,

I'd take that arrow back!"

How's that?

= Mindy

Let me do something wright for once, sort of:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/p/peter,+paul+&...n_20107689.html

"Shed" in the chorus should be "she'd."

--Brant

Alas and alack,

He'd take that spelling back,

For he wrought what was wrong,

When he referenced the song!

= Mindy :rolleyes:

GS,

What Shane presented is absolutely what I call the concept arrow. I am still unsure about your meaning, which is not absolute. Let's start with similarity (but without being absolute with respect to our use of similarity as a standard).

Is your idea of arrow similar to what I would call a dump truck or a planet or an cold virus or a double-decker hamburger? I only ask because "similar" is not absolute in your meaning (which is not absolute anyway) and this leaves room for such questions. I'm having a real problem understanding...

After we get arrow done, maybe we can go back and do stimulus and language...

:)

Michael

• 5 weeks later...
OK, I'm burned out on reading posts on induction. (And why aren't they in this folder??)

Here's a puzzler for you Objectivist and logic hotshots. Here is a syllogism (or as near to one as I can make it), which seems to lead to a paradoxical conclusion. What's wrong with the syllogism -- or the premises?

Premise 1: Existence is independent of consciousness. Or, Every thing that exists is independent of consciousness. (This is the Primacy of Existence principle.)

Premise 2: Consciousness exists. Or, Consciousness is something that exists.

Conclusion: Consciousness is independent of consciousness.

I'm really interested in what O-L'ers have to say about this.

Best,

REB

Modify Premise 2 to become: everything outside of our consciousness exists independent of our consciousness. Of course we have to know what is within and without our consciousness. Generally speaking anything that exists outside of our bodies exists independently of whether we our conscious of them or not. Of course, to know something is outside of our body we have to be conscious of it.

Go figure.

Ba'al Chatzaf