If You Build It, They Will Come"

... nailed a buzzer-beating, game-winning three-pointer the other night which will go down in history as one of the greatest shots ever. ...

... along with the downing of Yamamoto's Plane, Concord Bridge, and Bess saving The Highwayman...

Come on, it's just a game. And basketball is ritualized into sterility. They ought to play one 12-minute segment, no time outs and start off with each team having 80 points. ... or give each team 110 and play for 1 minute. The close, high scores invalidate the supposed concepts underpinning the purpose. Same with tennis. It's fun and all, you know to run around, whacking the ball well, defending and volleying... but, really, at the professional level, it's artificial and ritualized.

I do enjoy watching live action. We have a Class D baseball team here in Ypsilanti, the Midwest Sliders. When we lived in Lansing, we saw a (one) Lugnuts game. A couple years back, we visited our daughter in Miami and took in the Marlins. Back in 2001, some friends of ours in Cleveland hosted us to a night with the Indians at the Jake. But... see that's 1993.... 2001... 2007.... 2009... I don't watch a lot of sports.

A long time ago, I was a taxicab driver in East Lansing and MSU hosted a physics conference and these guys from Germany announced their verification of Element One-Oh-Something, but they did not fill up Spartan Stadium to do that. However, I did get to take a physicist from the USSR for a ride from Kellogg Center to a private party in town, him and his two "associates." He seemed pretty happy, his eyes all lit up with a smile on his face. East Lansing is a cute town.

Anyway, mens sano and all that, you need to exercise to stay healthy. Competition is fun. Teamwork can be rewarding. Personally, I like being alone, working against my own previous best efforts. And I would much rather do it than to watch someone else do it.

Jonathan:

Yep has been extra - ordinary playoffs. High level intensity.

Michael:

As a season's ticket holder to the 1969-1975 NY Knickerbockers professional basketball team, I also understand what "type" of basketball you learned to love. Me too, but I loved Hoosiers.

The modern game still has the same intense defenses and passing, but at a significantly faster and more vertical level.

Adam

Anyway, mens sano and all that, you need to exercise to stay healthy. Competition is fun. Teamwork can be rewarding. Personally, I like being alone, working against my own previous best efforts. And I would much rather do it than to watch someone else do it.

One can do both, Michael. I love watching the pros, but I also like to get out and play the game myself, and, like you, I also like being alone and working against my own previous best efforts. I think the activity that I now enjoy most is long-distance biking on my own or occasionally with a friend who pushes it as hard as I do. But my enjoyment of doing it myself doesn't impede my ability to recognize and appreciate how difficult it is to make a three-pointer with 1 second on the clock in an NBA playoff game with some 6-foot-10-ish dudes, who are pretty good at playing the game, trying to stop you.

J

• 2 years later...

Dear Sirs,

My staff have drawn this interesting discussion to my attention because it concerns issues of deep concern to me and all Canadians.

I was immediately impressed by your collective commitment to fitness and the part sport has to play in this. Too many of my constituents never get off their couches except when basic survival needs drive them outdoors. They fulfill these needs, cash their paycheques and fling themselves down on their couches again, oblivious to their own self-interest.

One such person, known around my office as It's Her Again, does seem to have introduced the sport of hockey in your area , indeed shoved it in everywhere she gets an opening, and if she becomes too obnoxious about it, please contact our nearest consulate and we will deal with her. We're used to it.

Sorry, but I must raise the fact that CSIS reports one member of your organization has said that hockey players are less smart than other sports professionals, and the boss has said that I'm the one who has to protest that, so I am protesting. Sorry.

Yours most sincerely,

The Hon. Kenneth Dryden MP

BA, LLB

Olympic Gold Medal (Hockey), Stanley Cup winner

Author

good father and husband,son, grandson, brother, uncle and cousin, kind to animals

Daunce, you neglected to mention that I am a very good basketball player.

Good heavens, so I did. How remiss of me. Be assured that the entire Canadian Parliament will be apprised of it as soon as their aides explain to them what basketball is.

• 4 years later...

I have found God...

He is wearing number 30 for the Golden State Warriors...

This game tonight between the Oklahoma Thunder [home team] and the Golden State Warriors was the best regular season key game I have seen in the modern BB era.

This young man got my attention several years ago when he poured in 51 effortless points against the NY Knicks, a semi-talented, kinda professional team at the Mecca of  basketball, Madison Square Garden, which is round.

He went on from there to be MVP of the league last year and NBA champions when they demolished the LeBroun James Cleveland Cavaliers.

Smart kid, family man with high self expectations and brilliant as the team leader and court general.  Great at every aspect of the game and one of the most outstanding pure shooters that I have seen in at least three decades.  Tremendous defensive player also.

At any rate, he led his team back time and again from 10 points down.  One of the comebacks was in the fourth quarter. 

Went into overtime where he calmly hit a 32+ foot three point play with :07 seconds left on the clock to give his team the win.

They have only lost 5 games all year.

A...