How to deal with grizzly bears in the wilderness

galtgulch

LOL

Nice find ... actually the first place that I had seen or heard the rifle gun deal was when I read Battle Cry.

However, that Henrie skit is hilarious. As I was listening, not having looked at the title on the link, I am saying I know that voice,

Good job.

As I was typing the rifle gun, I was singing the Eskimo piece in my mind.

Adam

laughing about the drilling that has to go on, because it hurts to much to cry over what these boys and men had to endure

Adam, it sounds like you own a Springfield rifle.

--Brant

Yes Brant. Fine weapon.

Angie: No not a hunter. Have hunted small game years ago. Woodchucks, rattlesnakes and crows. However, I am not hungry so there is no reason to hunt for me.

I have a few weapons. The first one my dad purchased and trained me on a Mosberg .22 bolt seven shot clip - fine weapon to learn with. I am seeking a semi automatic shotgun for anti personnel use in the just in case scenario.

Adam

You want a 20 gauge Remington model 1100 firing #3 lead with the shortest stock and barrel available from the manufacturer for about 4-500 dollars used. 5 not three rounds before reloading. You have no use for the hunting plug. Steel shot is for hunting and 12 gauge is needed for that.

--Brant

All these posts and no one has dealt with the Real Question. Which is: Does a grizzly bear shit in the woods?

Ba'al Chatzaf

If you live in Jersey he'll shit on your doorstep.

--Brant

It will be a Black Bear, but you are on track.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Just thought of another one, this is to the tune of Colonel Bogey:

Hitler

Has only one left ball,

Goering

Has two but they are small,

Himmler

Has something similar,

But Goebbels

Has no balls

At all....

V. (p. 359)

Thomas Pynchon

This thread reminded me of when I spent a winter in Joy Alaska in 1979-80. My rifle of choice was a Remington 700 BDL 30-06. Kept it loaded with the 220 gr bullet but never shot anything. Did a little target shooting. I thought of the homesteader who let me stay on his property while I was up there, Dick Griffin. He was 62 when I knew him. He moved to Homer Alaska many years ago. I did a google search on his name and location and found the following:

http://homernews.com/stories/122309/letters_4_009.shtml

He submitted this on Dec 23, 2009 so evidently this is his comment on our present political situation. Glad to know he's still alive in his 90's. He was an ex-NRA instructor. Gave me some handgun instruction while I was there. He allowed me to convert a small outbuilding he used for working on his vehicles into a cabin for one winter in exchange for keeping the new schools teachers assistant (my girlfriend) alive for the winter. Nice guy (sorta), tough as nails. Proved up one of the last 40 acre homesteads allowed in the US.

This thread reminded me of when I spent a winter in Joy Alaska in 1979-80. My rifle of choice was a Remington 700 BDL 30-06. Kept it loaded with the 220 gr bullet but never shot anything. Did a little target shooting. I thought of the homesteader who let me stay on his property while I was up there, Dick Griffin. He was 62 when I knew him. He moved to Homer Alaska many years ago. I did a google search on his name and location and found the following:

http://homernews.com...ers_4_009.shtml

He submitted this on Dec 23, 2009 so evidently this is his comment on our present political situation. Glad to know he's still alive in his 90's. He was an ex-NRA instructor. Gave me some handgun instruction while I was there. He allowed me to convert a small outbuilding he used for working on his vehicles into a cabin for one winter in exchange for keeping the new schools teachers assistant (my girlfriend) alive for the winter. Nice guy (sorta), tough as nails. Proved up one of the last 40 acre homesteads allowed in the US.

Mikee:

Very nice. I am interested in that statement, "Nice guy (sorta), tough as nails.", if you do not mind disclosing what you meant, none of your business works also, lol.

Adam

"I am interested in that statement, "Nice guy (sorta), tough as nails.", "

Well, I really liked the guy. He was direct, blunt even, which doesn't appeal to some people. Not everyone would think he's a nice man. He shot dead a young male dog of his when he couldn't train it to stop chasing and grabbing one of his geese by the neck. Caught it in the act several times, finally decided it wouldn't learn so killed it.

Example of bluntness: I like classical guitar, I had a cassette tape playing of a favorite (Julian Bream I think), Dick came in and said "I can't stand that twiddle, twiddle, twiddle stuff".

Another story: We were driving into town (from about 60 miles north of Fairbanks), as we get close there's a guy jogging along the road, Dick says "Look at that guy, smiling like he's got a brain". I interpreted this to mean either something this guy was doing was inherently dangerous or the guy was too lazy stupid to do real work which if he were doing he wouldn't need to jog.

He had a bear skin stretched out on his porch. When he first built his cabin he looked out the front door where he'd built the porch and there was a large bear coming up the steps. He grabbed his rifle and shot it. It turned and took off running up the clearing. Made it about 100 yards before it fell. Later when he skinned it out he found he had shot it clean through the heart. Message: be very afraid of the frik'n bears.

Edit to say: Dick didn't TRY to be nice, but it felt easier to survive with him around and I think that's a pretty damned nice feeling.

Edited by Mikee

Mikee:

I kinda thought that was it. I have no problem with that personality. You just can't take a lot of the emotional directness to heart because it is just stating the feelings "straight from the shoulder".

I am the type who might have made a nice roasted goose dinner before I shot a dog, but either the dog or the master was not performing optimally.

According to Caesar Milan, the Dog Whisperer, he does not train the animal, he trains the owners. He is, of course, absolutely correct.

You have had a very interesting life walk, have you written a journal?

If not, why not? If not now, when?

lol

Adam

"I am the type who might have made a nice roasted goose dinner before I shot a dog, but either the dog or the master was not performing optimally."

Dick had other dogs. This one was a piece of work. This dogs father was a mean bastard. Some kind of huge Shepard/Husky mix, about 100 lbs or so. The first couple of times I went up to visit Dick this dog bit me on the back of the leg, hard enough to leave a bruise. Quick too, I kept missing him with my backhand. When I faced him he kept his distance. I kept my eye on him and one time instead of stepping up onto Dick's porch I back kicked him right off the steps. Never bothered me again. Dick never said a word to his dog when he was after me so I figured it was something I had to deal with myself. The geese were a pair, proud beautiful creatures walking around the homestead. Dick was extremely fond of them. He really tried to school that pup, it was well fed, fat, frisky. Just wouldn't take orders. Plenty of things in the woods to chase. Leave the frik'n geese alone. No? Bye. Just felt I had to stick up for Dick on this one.

Another dog story: I got a part time job driving the school bus (oversize Ford van w/ snow tires, big heater and radio). One of the boys I picked up was from Livengood, a mining town and trading post about 25 miles north. The boys Dad was a trapper, used a team of dogs to run his trapline. One day picking the kid up (wish I could remember his name) Dad was trying to deal with a new dog he was trying to break in. The dog kept snapping at the other dogs, making a ruckus. Couldn't find a spot on the team where this dog would settle down. Next day, I come by again to pick him up. Not waiting for me (normal) I go knock on their cabin door. Boy still eating breakfast so I go in to wait. I look at the boy, he glances up at the ceiling. I look up, there's a fresh skin stretched out to dry. When we're in the van heading to the school I say "That's that dog, huh?". "Yeah" he says. Cool kid, didn't talk much. Way smarter at ten than most adults I've ever known. The first time I picked him up he questioned me "Where you from?". "California" I says. "Ever drive in the snow?". "No, but don't worry, I'll be careful. I had to get a license you know". "Yeah". So we're driving down the road and getting close to where I turn off. I'm carefully applying the brakes because the road is quite slippery. We're slowing down but not quickly enough. I don't try to make the turn and coast about fifty feet past. I look over, he's looking at me. I back up, turn and make my way slowly up the drive.

"I am the type who might have made a nice roasted goose dinner before I shot a dog, but either the dog or the master was not performing optimally."

Dick had other dogs. This one was a piece of work. This dogs father was a mean bastard. Some kind of huge Shepard/Husky mix, about 100 lbs or so. The first couple of times I went up to visit Dick this dog bit me on the back of the leg, hard enough to leave a bruise. Quick too, I kept missing him with my backhand. When I faced him he kept his distance. I kept my eye on him and one time instead of stepping up onto Dick's porch I back kicked him right off the steps. Never bothered me again. Dick never said a word to his dog when he was after me so I figured it was something I had to deal with myself. The geese were a pair, proud beautiful creatures walking around the homestead. Dick was extremely fond of them. He really tried to school that pup, it was well fed, fat, frisky. Just wouldn't take orders. Plenty of things in the woods to chase. Leave the frik'n geese alone. No? Bye. Just felt I had to stick up for Dick on this one.

Another dog story: I got a part time job driving the school bus (oversize Ford van w/ snow tires, big heater and radio). One of the boys I picked up was from Livengood, a mining town and trading post about 25 miles north. The boys Dad was a trapper, used a team of dogs to run his trapline. One day picking the kid up (wish I could remember his name) Dad was trying to deal with a new dog he was trying to break in. The dog kept snapping at the other dogs, making a ruckus. Couldn't find a spot on the team where this dog would settle down. Next day, I come by again to pick him up. Not waiting for me (normal) I go knock on their cabin door. Boy still eating breakfast so I go in to wait. I look at the boy, he glances up at the ceiling. I look up, there's a fresh skin stretched out to dry. When we're in the van heading to the school I say "That's that dog, huh?". "Yeah" he says. Cool kid, didn't talk much. Way smarter at ten than most adults I've ever known. The first time I picked him up he questioned me "Where you from?". "California" I says. "Ever drive in the snow?". "No, but don't worry, I'll be careful. I had to get a license you know". "Yeah". So we're driving down the road and getting close to where I turn off. I'm carefully applying the brakes because the road is quite slippery. We're slowing down but not quickly enough. I don't try to make the turn and coast about fifty feet past. I look over, he's looking at me. I back up, turn and make my way slowly up the drive.

Mikee:

You should have a journal dude, good stories.

Now that you fleshed out the dog story, it was the proper move. "Back biting" in a dog cannot be permitted. And the geese were special.

Good story about the kid.

Adam