How to deal with grizzly bears in the wilderness

galtgulch

• 1 year later...

Here is a link for anyone who plans to do any backpacking in Alaska and has concerns about grizzly bears and how to protect yourself from attack!

http://tinyurl.com/5sc5g8

You know you can count on the government to watch out for you.

galt

LMAO, nice sense of humor and did get a laugh out of it but it rings very true and good advice. Being a photographer and hiking and camping in the back country with grizzlies around quite often to get to those beautiful sights that most never see, those little bells as well as singing and/or constantly talking will make a world of difference and keeping them away from you. The pepper spray they make note of is some serious shit too. It's some heavy duty artillery if you will and no need to be too close and within striking distance. The pepper spray cans for grizzlies have some serious distance to them. Of course, sneaking a gun in, depending on where you're at, is a must as well. We've run into a few but mostly at night around the camp sight looking for scraps of food, etc. But do have to say can be pretty unsettling especially if you're driving out there and stop for a quick picnic on the side of the road and you see a one of those huge metal trash bins that are all dented to hell and deep grizzly bear scratches in the metal or being out in the middle of nowhere knowing you're in grizzly bear country and you get that unsettling "feeling" of being watched. Have more than my share of freaky but sometimes funny stories.

Although funny, it's truly good advice.

Here is a link for anyone who plans to do any backpacking in Alaska and has concerns about grizzly bears and how to protect yourself from attack!

galt

LMAO, nice sense of humor and did get a laugh out of it but it rings very true and good advice. Being a photographer and hiking and camping in the back country with grizzlies around quite often to get to those beautiful sights that most never see, those little bells as well as singing and/or constantly talking will make a world of difference and keeping them away from you. The pepper spray they make note of is some serious shit too. It's some heavy duty artillery if you will and no need to be too close and within striking distance. The pepper spray cans for grizzlies have some serious distance to them. Of course, sneaking a gun in, depending on where you're at, is a must as well. We've run into a few but mostly at night around the camp sight looking for scraps of food, etc. But do have to say can be pretty unsettling especially if you're driving out there and stop for a quick picnic on the side of the road and you see a one of those huge metal trash bins that are all dented to hell and deep grizzly bear scratches in the metal or being out in the middle of nowhere knowing you're in grizzly bear country and you get that unsettling "feeling" of being watched. Have more than my share of freaky but sometimes funny stories.

My brother's best friend and girl friend were eaten by a grizzly in Alaska in 2003. They had no pepper spray--at least any they used--and certainly no guns. Big mistake was sticking around too long (September) when the bears really get the hots for food for hibernation. (See, "Grizzly Man" DVD.)

--Brant

.44 magnum

Enormous kick, but will stop a Grizzly - Kodiak also.

"Enough has been written about the .357 that I have no need to rehash old history. Suffice it to say that the First Magnum impressed people from the beginning and that it still has a place in one's battery today. No collection of handguns is complete without one.

While it was touted as a "car stopper" for Police work, it did duty as a game-getter from it's birth. Major Doug Wesson and Elmer Keith were the first notables to use it on game and write it up. Today it is fashionable to pooh-pooh it as a Big Game gun but these men did not see it that way.

There is some reason, however, to at least (in principle) agree with those who are hesitant about the use of the .357 on Big Game.

First, the factory loadings today are loaded to less pressure than the original loads and consequently have less power. The early .357's were loaded in cartridges that utilized a Large primer and heavy loads developed quite a bit of pressure above the established levels of today's factory offerings.

select an image for a larger view

early357_1_small.jpg early357_2_small.jpg

Early 357, note large primer pocket vs.

modern 357 with small primer

Having said that, I know a number of hunters who would be perfectly at ease using a .357 on the game they hunt. They are both excellent hunters and shooters and would do just as well with a .22 should that be all that they had. They understand the principle that it is "the man, not the machine" as John Linebaugh is fond of saying.

The .357 did duty in the Korean War and proved very effective at penetrating the body armor worn by Chinese Communists. It was also carried during the Vietnam conflict and was used effectively. I have a good friend who is alive today because of his use of a .357 (the gun was given to him by Elmer Keith) on a VC who had homemade armor. The VC shot several men in the compound and was not stopped until my friend got his .357 going. They found later the Viet Cong had metal plates tied in front and on his back. The .45 ACP did not penetrate, but the .357 made holes in and out!

It's use as a Police weapon began to be curtailed in the 1960's. It had proven very effective against criminals.... so much so that the protests said it was too effective! Litigation and political pressure caused many Police agencies to look for a weapon that had a "nicer" public image and little by little the .357 was phased out. Very few Departments today use them.

357 Magnum Testimonials from earlier days

Major Douglas Wesson

• Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
  • Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
  • Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
  • Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot)

Adam

my favorite all time weapon is the Nylon 66 - weight 7.5 lbs. Fiberglass stock. Nothing seems to foul it. 14 shots; 22 caliber hollow point magnums, plus one in the chamber.

Can easily be fired accurately with one hand if you were injured. Frankly, if you can't do the job with 15 rounds, either you should not have a gun or you were going to be overwhelmed anyway under any normal situations the average Joe or Jane might encounter.

Second, it is a .35 caliber pistol and as such the shots must be placed on the game very carefully. A lot of those who take to the field these days are not experts either in hunting or shooting. In the field a person must know when and when not to take a shot... or as the movie line goes, "A man has to know his own limitations." Unfortunately many do not and if they read that so-and-so used "this" or "that" to bag his trophy they figure they can too.

galt

My brother's best friend and girl friend were eaten by a grizzly in Alaska in 2003. They had no pepper spray--at least any they used--and certainly no guns. Big mistake was sticking around too long (September) when the bears really get the hots for food for hibernation. (See, "Grizzly Man" DVD.)

--Brant

.44 magnum

Wow, Brant, that is horrifying and my deepest condolences. I know what it is like to be around grizzly bears and too close for comfort but never had an incident of a charge, etc., thankfully. The closest I ever got and being too close for comfort was camping in the back country of Yellowstone eating dinner and it was about 8:30, 9:00 at night. Everyone was in the tent with the exception of myself. I was sitting in a chair eating and close to the campfire and heard a roar that was unmistakable and was very close to me. I woofed down the food as quickly as I could to get rid of the smell of food and grabbed a flashlight to see if I could find him around me as I backed towards the tent. He was definitely too close. I got in the tent and we all stayed quiet and listening. Fortunately he went on his way. We all cleaned up the area and early early the next day we packed up the rest of our stuff and left to another camp site. It's no doubt unsettling. Our biggest mistake at that point although unbeknownst to us at the time but found it later the next day is that we set up camp relatively close to a stream which was a mistake because grizzlies prowl around streams, game trails, etc. Of course with a stream being nearby and seeing deer, moose, etc., is very common, this is an area you want to stay clear of especially when setting up camp. That's like putting yourself on the dinner menu.

Always go in there being aware of any bear sightings, signs posted, being aware of the dos and don'ts, always carry pepper spray, a gun if possible, never bring anything that has perfume in it such as deodorants, etc., because it attracts them, bring lots of plastic bags, don't leave food out longer than necessary to make food and then get rid of evidence as quickly as possible, don't camp near streams, etc. Although we know we what are doing out there, I can't deny that when we do go camping out in the back country it always has you on edge to a degree with apprehension.

I'm truly sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances with your brother's friend and his girlfriend. Seeing these bears up close in the wild, it's horrifying to think and imagine what that must have been like for them. I'm truly sorry.

Angie

Enormous kick, but will stop a Grizzly - Kodiak also.

"Enough has been written about the .357 that I have no need to rehash old history. Suffice it to say that the First Magnum impressed people from the beginning and that it still has a place in one's battery today. No collection of handguns is complete without one.

While it was touted as a "car stopper" for Police work, it did duty as a game-getter from it's birth. Major Doug Wesson and Elmer Keith were the first notables to use it on game and write it up. Today it is fashionable to pooh-pooh it as a Big Game gun but these men did not see it that way.

There is some reason, however, to at least (in principle) agree with those who are hesitant about the use of the .357 on Big Game.

First, the factory loadings today are loaded to less pressure than the original loads and consequently have less power. The early .357's were loaded in cartridges that utilized a Large primer and heavy loads developed quite a bit of pressure above the established levels of today's factory offerings.

select an image for a larger view

early357_1_small.jpg early357_2_small.jpg

Early 357, note large primer pocket vs.

modern 357 with small primer

Having said that, I know a number of hunters who would be perfectly at ease using a .357 on the game they hunt. They are both excellent hunters and shooters and would do just as well with a .22 should that be all that they had. They understand the principle that it is "the man, not the machine" as John Linebaugh is fond of saying.

The .357 did duty in the Korean War and proved very effective at penetrating the body armor worn by Chinese Communists. It was also carried during the Vietnam conflict and was used effectively. I have a good friend who is alive today because of his use of a .357 (the gun was given to him by Elmer Keith) on a VC who had homemade armor. The VC shot several men in the compound and was not stopped until my friend got his .357 going. They found later the Viet Cong had metal plates tied in front and on his back. The .45 ACP did not penetrate, but the .357 made holes in and out!

It's use as a Police weapon began to be curtailed in the 1960's. It had proven very effective against criminals.... so much so that the protests said it was too effective! Litigation and political pressure caused many Police agencies to look for a weapon that had a "nicer" public image and little by little the .357 was phased out. Very few Departments today use them.

357 Magnum Testimonials from earlier days

Major Douglas Wesson

• Antelope - 200 yards (2 shots)
  • Elk - 130 yards (1 shot)
  • Moose - 100 yards (1 shot)
  • Grizzly Bear - 135 yards (1 shot)

Adam

my favorite all time weapon is the Nylon 66 - weight 7.5 lbs. Fiberglass stock. Nothing seems to foul it. 14 shots; 22 caliber hollow point magnums, plus one in the chamber.

Can easily be fired accurately with one hand if you were injured. Frankly, if you can't do the job with 15 rounds, either you should not have a gun or you were going to be overwhelmed anyway under any normal situations the average Joe or Jane might encounter.

Thank you, Adam, for the info. One of the people that goes with us always carries a 357, although guns are not allowed in Yellowstone. Just depends on where you are where they do allow campers and hikers to carry guns. I am no expert but I have shot more than my share of guns and rifles. I'm not into hunting and never have been. My aim can also be shaky. With such a large animal being so close, it's a huge target. Plus with others around and traveling in a group when camping is always a must. They should never travel alone or even with only 2 people especially if one or all of them don't know what they're doing or well prepared for it. For us, it's always a minimum of 3 people. If one or two get into trouble, the third is there to help if necessary.

Second, it is a .35 caliber pistol and as such the shots must be placed on the game very carefully. A lot of those who take to the field these days are not experts either in hunting or shooting. In the field a person must know when and when not to take a shot... or as the movie line goes, "A man has to know his own limitations." Unfortunately many do not and if they read that so-and-so used "this" or "that" to bag his trophy they figure they can too.

CNA:

No problem. I have did a lot of minimalist backpacking and tarp camping while I was in Virginia. However, that was in the Shenandoah and I still had to put up a bear bag in the tree away from our tent or tarp for the night. You are correct in the groups of three.

Also, I think there is recent legislation that may have either barely passed or barely lost as to permitting a person with a carry permit to go on federal lands.

These assholes will get a whole party killed someday.

Granted Grizzly's are very intimidating. I have never faced one myself. However, any excursion into "nature" is worth every second. However, a pack of wild dogs, now "wolf like" in behavior, can be equally deadly.

At least one member of every party should be armed and highly skilled with the weapon.

Also, glad to hear that things are going well for you. I assume that includes the case also.

Adam

CNA:

No problem. I have did a lot of minimalist backpacking and tarp camping while I was in Virginia. However, that was in the Shenandoah and I still had to put up a bear bag in the tree away from our tent or tarp for the night. You are correct in the groups of three.

Also, I think there is recent legislation that may have either barely passed or barely lost as to permitting a person with a carry permit to go on federal lands.

Granted Grizzly's are very intimidating. I have never faced one myself. However, any excursion into "nature" is worth every second. However, a pack of wild dogs, now "wolf like" in behavior, can be equally deadly.

At least one member of every party should be armed and highly skilled with the weapon.

Also, glad to hear that things are going well for you. I assume that includes the case also.

Adam

We haven't yet ran into a pack of wild dogs or wolves thankfully, although have heard them running through the camp sites late at night. For the most part, they typically stay well away from us and we hear them howling way in the distance. Most definitely it is worth every second and experiences like no other, especially when you get the joy of seeing them in the wild but always dangerous no doubt. Wildlife photography is something I enjoy tremendously. There's a few areas down close to me that's a hot spot for birding and photography but I just don't like to frequent those places at all. I'm not one for birding unless I can find a bald eagle, etc., but these are few and far between. I truly do miss it a lot but other circumstances intervened and just haven't had a lot of time to go out "shooting" if you will but that's okay, soon enough.

This year is looking a lot better for us but still will be a tough road but no where near as tough as last year. As for our case, lot of crap going on there. Some pretty amazing stuff. The nightmare of what it was quadrupled in a short amount of time. I contacted another attorney and had a 5 hour consul. He is well respected in California in this area of law. Long story short, contacted a few other attorneys. Ultimately fired my previous attorney and advocate, withdrew the first lawsuit. Signed the assessment form in turn rendering their lawsuit moot and requested dismissal which was done. We are now at step one. I've been in contact with the new attorney and we're working on the retainer agreement, time line, etc. All our claims are still in tact with the exception of a 1 to 2 month loss on the statute of limitations so we're doing a lot better now. Tired as hell but doing better considering. A lot of drama over these last few weeks but drama that helped out tremendously in the end.

Angie

CNA:

Adam

We haven't yet ran into a pack of wild dogs or wolves thankfully, although have heard them running through the camp sites late at night. For the most part, they typically stay well away from us and we hear them howling way in the distance. Most definitely it is worth every second and experiences like no other, especially when you get the joy of seeing them in the wild but always dangerous no doubt. Wildlife photography is something I enjoy tremendously. There's a few areas down close to me that's a hot spot for birding and photography but I just don't like to frequent those places at all. I'm not one for birding unless I can find a bald eagle, etc., but these are few and far between. I truly do miss it a lot but other circumstances intervened and just haven't had a lot of time to go out "shooting" if you will but that's okay, soon enough.

This year is looking a lot better for us but still will be a tough road but no where near as tough as last year. As for our case, lot of crap going on there. Some pretty amazing stuff. The nightmare of what it was quadrupled in a short amount of time. I contacted another attorney and had a 5 hour consul. He is well respected in California in this area of law. Long story short, contacted a few other attorneys. Ultimately fired my previous attorney and advocate, withdrew the first lawsuit. Signed the assessment form in turn rendering their lawsuit moot and requested dismissal which was done. We are now at step one. I've been in contact with the new attorney and we're working on the retainer agreement, time line, etc. All our claims are still in tact with the exception of a 1 to 2 month loss on the statute of limitations so we're doing a lot better now. Tired as hell but doing better considering. A lot of drama over these last few weeks but drama that helped out tremendously in the end.

Angie

Angie:

I am assuming that this is in Federal District Court or are you still within the State Court system or perish the though the State Department of Education in some administrative nightmare. You have my e-mail jgalt44@yahoo.com if you do not want to put any "clues" here which from, what I was able to glean when I first joined, would seem wise to eliminate any openings.

Also, I was truly enjoying your photography when I joined as there were a couple of threads on spiders and I was awed by some of your close up stuff. I have your white bird in full wing as one of my screen saver slide show pictures.

Adam

Edited by Selene

CNA:

Adam

Angie

Angie:

I am assuming that this is in Federal District Court or are you still within the State Court system or perish the though the State Department of Education in some administrative nightmare. You have my e-mail jgalt44@yahoo.com if you do not want to put any "clues" here which from, what I was able to glean when I first joined, would seem wise to eliminate any openings.

Also, I was truly enjoying your photography when I joined as there were a couple of threads on spiders and I was awed by some of your close up stuff. I have your white bird in full wing as one of my screen saver slide show pictures.

Adam

No, not in federal court yet or superior court as of yet. We are still wrangling on the administrative level thankfully. What happened and was caught before ANY hearings went forward and both suits proceeding any further. Some issues came to light which prompted me to seek out this other attorney and consult. He confirmed my concerns and also shedded light on other issues I wasn't privy of up to that point. I sat on what was discussed during our 5 hour consult for two weeks and thinking, taking also into account what the ALJ stated at their first mediation, took into account other aspects, the potential new attorney called on the morning of the 4th of this year as I was working on contacting Sacramento, drafting 8 mediation proposals, fired my previous attorney, contacting opposing counsel and so forth, it went into full swing from there. I am thankful all this shit was caught now before any of the cases proceeded further and was caught on the administrative level and the case will be in more capable hands at this point because it is a huge case.

I won't post any of my pictures here on this site for very good reason as you are aware I am sure. I do have a site but it's not complete and I haven't uploaded anything in a long while, has some wildlife shots but not many. The shots span over several years and my growth if you will in the area of photography. I still have your email and don't mind sending you the link to the site if you'd like to see what's up there.

Also as for discussion of all the BS going on with the case and my prior legal representation, I do not feel comfortable talking about it "out in the open" with the exception of what I've stated so far. For now, this is an area I am very protective of for good reason. I don't want something brought out that can be used in any way shape or form at a detriment to my son and if someone from that side stumbles upon this site and are given insight as to what my intentions are or any potential attorney/client privileged information. Once we get out of the administrative level and the judge rules, I don't mind talking about that specific narrowed issue and case and this also holds true for any federal district court issues, etc. I know you are a mediator and familiar with this aspect and don't mind talking about it behind the scenes and all the bullshit up to this point but hesitant on divulging all information such as what school district it is and so forth but don't have a problem talking about it behind the scenes.

Angie

Angie:

No problem. You are preaching to the choir. I was in court yesterday with a client and as we left one particular courtroom with a reasonably successful outcome, I literally grabbed my clients wrist and with pressure forced a look into my face where basic ssh/keep quiet pursing of the lips was understood.

You never know who is who in a court house. The system is completely corrupted. There is no honor or expectation of privacy within its bounds. I have actually been privy to a conversation and when the other party arrived I was stunned to find out that one of their witnesses had been talking to me much too much.

So there is no degree of caution that I would not understand and respect.

Loose lips sink ships!

ll01.jpg

Adam

Edited by Selene

I'm truly sorry to hear about the unfortunate circumstances with your brother's friend and his girlfriend. Seeing these bears up close in the wild, it's horrifying to think and imagine what that must have been like for them. I'm truly sorry.

Angie

You can Google Timothy Treadwell, actual name Timothy Dexter. He didn't interact with Grizzly bears but Alaskan Browns. Not a very admirable person, I'm afraid.

--Brant

Edited by Brant Gaede

Angie

You can Google Timothy Treadwell, actual name Timothy Dexter. He didn't interact with Grizzly bears but Alaskan Browns. Not a very admirable person, I'm afraid.

--Brant

Well, Brant, I am familiar and heard about this incident. You are most correct that both were not the most admirable and not the brightest of people. Wow, I did not know that the people that were lost wasn't because of a freak accident and being in the wrong place at the wrong time but that they lost their lives because they were doing some really stupid stuff. I'm not surprised at all that they lost their lives. I'm also not surprised to read that given all the bad decisions they continued to push the envelope by abandoning all measures that would ultimately save their lives in the end. Yikes. I can't help but equate this to another person that lost his life by constantly pushing the boundaries of complete and utter stupidity and that was that Australian guy -- his name escapes me now. Oi. Well, you would never catch me setting up camp on bear trails, setting up camp along game trails, going out there with absolutely no protection at all, going up to wild bears and attempting to talk to them and touching them. OMG. Wow. You know, I thought the people you lost in your life and your brother's life was because of a freakish type accident and being out there such as hiking, etc., and they stumbled upon a bear but obviously not. I may very well offend you by what I am about to say but they ultimately got what they deserved by doing stupid shit such as what they were doing, especially abandoning all means of protection such as no pepper spray, no guns or rifles, shot guns. Hell, my ass would be carrying a .30-06 which is some serious fire power and scary rifle (Adam should know about this rifle), shot guns, hell, perhaps even a metal cage for a tent.

Angie

Edited by CNA

Angie

--Brant

Well, Brant, I am familiar and heard about this incident. You are most correct that both were not the most admirable and not the brightest of people. Wow, I did not know that the people that were lost wasn't because of a freak accident and being in the wrong place at the wrong time but that they lost their lives because they were doing some really stupid stuff. I'm not surprised at all that they lost their lives. I'm also not surprised to read that given all the bad decisions they continued to push the envelope by abandoning all measures that would ultimately save their lives in the end. Yikes. I can't help but equate this to another person that lost his life by constantly pushing the boundaries of complete and utter stupidity and that was that Australian guy -- his name escapes me now. Oi. Well, you would never catch me setting up camp on bear trails, setting up camp along game trails, going out there with absolutely no protection at all, going up to wild bears and attempting to talk to them and touching them. OMG. Wow. You know, I thought the people you lost in your life and your brother's life was because of a freakish type accident and being out there such as hiking, etc., and they stumbled upon a bear but obviously not. I may very well offend you by what I am about to say but they ultimately got what they deserved by doing stupid shit such as what they were doing, especially abandoning all means of protection such as no pepper spray, no guns or rifles, shot guns. Hell, my ass would be carrying a .30-06 which is some serious fire power and scary rifle (Adam should know about this rifle), shot guns, hell, perhaps even a metal cage for a tent.

Angie

Angie:

Lol. I own a 30.06 1943 came right out of the armory packed in grease. Beautiful weapon - good to excellent stopping power. Extremely accurate. 5 shot clip sniper sight bolt action ...I even have armor piercing rounds.

Brant: My condolences. It is sad that their risk behavior leads to a really bad image of these magnificently dangerous beasts. A nice looking couple.

"For 13 summers Timothy Treadwell fled California for the wilds of Alaska, where he set his camp among some of the largest and most numerous brown bears left in North America. Treadwell gained national celebrity status after his appearance February 20, 2001 on CBS's David Letterman Show, promoting his 1997 book "Among Grizzlies: Living With Wild Bears in Alaska", along with his close-up photographs and video footage, often showing him within arms reach of large brown bears or creeping on all fours towards a sow and her three cubs, talking in a soft, child like, sing song voice."

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

Adam

Angie

--Brant

Angie

Angie:

Lol. I own a 30.06 1943 came right out of the armory packed in grease. Beautiful weapon - good to excellent stopping power. Extremely accurate. 5 shot clip sniper sight bolt action ...I even have armor piercing rounds.

Brant: My condolences. It is sad that their risk behavior leads to a really bad image of these magnificently dangerous beasts. A nice looking couple.

"For 13 summers Timothy Treadwell fled California for the wilds of Alaska, where he set his camp among some of the largest and most numerous brown bears left in North America. Treadwell gained national celebrity status after his appearance February 20, 2001 on CBS's David Letterman Show, promoting his 1997 book "Among Grizzlies: Living With Wild Bears in Alaska", along with his close-up photographs and video footage, often showing him within arms reach of large brown bears or creeping on all fours towards a sow and her three cubs, talking in a soft, child like, sing song voice."

http://www.yellowstone-bearman.com/Tim_Treadwell.html

Adam

I read that as well and I also read the investigation and autopsy report. I also got much insight into his personality before making the decision to escape to Alaska. Aside from the booze, numerous drugs, mainly heroin and the mislead life...Wow is all I can say.

The first time I ever shot that rifle it literally knocked me on my butt and had a bruise on my shoulder for quite a number of days after. It's a serious rifle.

Angie

Angie

--Brant

Angie

Angie:

http://www.yellowsto..._Treadwell.html

Adam

I read that as well and I also read the investigation and autopsy report. I also got much insight into his personality before making the decision to escape to Alaska. Aside from the booze, numerous drugs, mainly heroin and the mislead life...Wow is all I can say.

The first time I ever shot that rifle it literally knocked me on my butt and had a bruise on my shoulder for quite a number of days after. It's a serious rifle.

Angie

Yes indeed. I was braced for it, but I had not installed a pad and all there was was the metal plate - deep bruise to the collarbone and shoulder after firing a couple of rounds lol.

This is my rifle...

this is my gun...

this is for fighting...

and this is for fun...

Ahh yes

Adam

Adam, it sounds like you own a Springfield rifle.

--Brant

Yes Brant. Fine weapon.

Angie: No not a hunter. Have hunted small game years ago. Woodchucks, rattlesnakes and crows. However, I am not hungry so there is no reason to hunt for me.

I have a few weapons. The first one my dad purchased and trained me on a Mosberg .22 bolt seven shot clip - fine weapon to learn with. I am seeking a semi automatic shotgun for anti personnel use in the just in case scenario.

Adam

All these posts and no one has dealt with the Real Question. Which is: Does a grizzly bear shit in the woods?

Ba'al Chatzaf

This is my rifle...

this is my gun...

this is for fighting...

and this is for fun...

Ahh yes

Adam

Were you the one they called Sgt. Joker?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgd0-qw4jYI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgd0-qw4jYI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgd0-qw4jYI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

You've got to hear R.Lee Ermey's appearance on the Phil Hendrie show, its not coming up on YouTube unfortunately.

This may call for its own thread, like the limericks one, here's a funny one from the YouTube comments for the Full Metal Jacket clip above:

Mama told Sally not to go downtown,

too many para troopers hangin around,

Sally heard but she went anyway-

to see how those para troopers play,

3 months later all was well,

6mths later she began to swell,

9mths later out it came,

a bald headed para trooper swinging a chain

singing Airborne Airborne