Link to a site devoted to Ron Paul plan B

http://www.delegatesforronpaul.com/

You have to admit that Ron Paul supporters are determined to save this country without firing a single shot.

Wm

Nice idea, just visually awful for this particular electing, two old white guys just ain't gonna cut it! :afro:

http://www.delegatesforronpaul.com/

You have to admit that Ron Paul supporters are determined to save this country without firing a single shot.

Wm

Nice idea, just visually awful for this particular electing, two old white guys just ain't gonna cut it! :afro:

Hi Selene,

I know it is fashionable to assume that the American voter will base their decision based on superficiality or respond to handouts. However the people who vote in primaries hardly represent the population at large. The people whom I meet find the three major candidates unappealing and the prospect of a mature candidate who might seem to be a Washington insider at first, but who clearly has spent his entire political career up against the establishment, is a refreshing alternative indeed.

I know there are certain flaws those of us who have a more consistently rational view of political issues can identify in Ron Paul's positions, e.g. the abortion issue in particular and his contention that evolution is a theory. When it comes to his devotion to the principles of the Constitution, his opposition to the income tax, military intervention in foreign affairs, bringing the troops home from everywhere overseas, cutting the Federal budget, ending the Federal Reserve and restoring sound money, eliminating government departments not authorized, Ron Paul is on target and light years ahead of his power lusting rivals.

I just got off the phone with my district coordinator who told me that discussions are in progress for perhaps half of the state at large delegates here to be Ron Paul people. I agreed to be one of them! I think that the publication of Ron Paul's new book which is #1 at Amazon and #7 on the New York Times Best Seller list will have a profound impact. Wolf Blitzer just interviewed Ron Paul on The Situation Room yesterday (link at www.ronpaul2008.com) and CNN American Morning also interviewed Ron Paul this week. Both interviews were respectful, allowed him to answer their questions, and Ron Paul appeared to be presidential and in a class by himself compared to the others in the race.

I expect that the Republican nominating convention in Minneapolis in September will be of historic significance and I intend to be there to help make it happen!

Wm

I know it is fashionable to assume that the American voter will base their decision based on superficiality or respond to handouts.

1. There is no such thing as "the American voter."

2. American voters (plural) generally (generalization) tend to base their decisions on superficiality and they also respond to handouts. In fact, if you stop and think about it, everything promised by every candidate is a handout.

"Don't worry, folks, you will not have preserve the Constititution or fight the Federal Reserve, amend the Constitution to remove the income tax, or figure out how to balance the Federal budget, because I will do all of that for you. But don't vote yet! Look what else you get at no extra charge: lip-service to the ideals of our nation, homage to the founders of the republic, frequent references to your own fine character, and striking fear into the heart of your enemies."

However the people who vote in primaries hardly represent the population at large.

Right you are! The people who vote in primaries are better informed, more involved, more likely to write checks, more likely to be educated.

The people whom I meet ...

Unless you are a professional pollster, you will tend to meet people who are a lot like you.

"mature candidate" = old guy

"might seem like... but... " = two-faced

"I know there are certain flaws those of us who have a more consistently rational view of political issues can identify ..."

[... can identify the fact that Ron Paul's views are irrational.]

"When it comes to his devotion to the principles of the Constitution... "

... which neither you nor he seem to understand...

"...opposition to the income tax..."

Everyone is opposed to it. We have it because it is in the Constitution, which the President swears to uphold and defend. R

"... military intervention in foreign affairs, bringing the troops home from everywhere overseas ..." The Democrats promise the same thing. BTW, would that mean, for instance, allowing North Korea to build an atomic bomb and sell it so that they buy the food they cannot produce?

"... cutting the Federal budget..."

The President has little control over the budget. Congress makes the budget. Read the Constitutution. The President can veto the budget and shut down the government... unless 2/3 override the veto. Read the Constitution. BTW, the 2009 Budget proposed by the President includes a "shutdown prevention" so that essential services would continue... at least, you might hope, the military and courts of law... I'd wager that Homeland Security, Social Security, and much more would continue. It would remain to be seen what "shutdown prevention" Congress enacts.

"... ending the Federal Reserve ..." created by Congress. Governors are appointed by the President. He does not have to appoint any governors, but I assure you that the FRB will operate without them.

"... restoring sound money..." We have sound money. It is called the Eagle. There is a one-ounce gold eagle (and its fractions) and a one-ounce silver eagle (no fractions). Even if the dollar were defined as being equal to so much gold, it would still be a dollar, subject to the same problems as before. The only soluition is to get the goverment out of the business of creating money. However, the fact also remains that the government -- as any other institution -- has a natural law right to create its own money. You are under no obligation to accept it, ever, not even now. You can do all of your business in gold bullion, sovereigns, krugerrands, apples, or whatever you want. You are not tied to the dollar except in your own mind.

"... eliminating government departments not authorized..."

Every existing government department was authorized. Read the Constitution. Do you think that people just show up in Washington DC and declare themselves to be a government department?

Do you understand the difference between a department and an agency? Do you know what an "office" is? Your abysmal ignorance of the mechanisms of the American political tradition is typical of the pointy-headed (fits under the hood) supporters of Ron Paul.

"... Ron Paul is on target and light years ahead ..."

So, their target is light years away? Why are worried? Are we all traveling at warp speed toward it? (Or, relativistically, it toward us?)

" ... his power lusting rivals."

... in the Libertarian Party. You know, when the LP moved from Denver to Washington, it sent a clear message. The Atlas Society and the Cato Institute are also in Washington. You can be anywhere. They choose to be near the focus of power. What does that tell you?

"I just got off the phone with my district coordinator who told me ..."

As an individualist, I not have a coordinator to tell me what I need to know. I find out facts for myself and act on them as I see fit.

"... discussions are in progress for perhaps half ... "

That sounds as vague as any other political promise. Can't hold him responsible if it doesn't turn out that way... and he gets to remain your coordinator, coordinating your actions, coordinating your ideas, coordinating your views with the views of others whom he coordinates.

"... the publication of Ron Paul's new book which is #1 at Amazon and #7 on the New York Times Best Seller list will have a profound impact."

... on a target light years away, no doubt.

Ever read any Ann Coulter? Her books have profound impacts, too. Hey, about about AYN RAND?? Now there is someone whose books have made a profound impact! And yet, here we are... Books are nice. Ideas are important. Best of all are original ideas. Does Ron Paul have any? I mean original ideas that are consonant with reality, as opposed to your own creative interpretations of the Constitution.

"...Wolf Blitzer just interviewed Ron Paul on The Situation Room yesterday..."

I have never seen a Wolf Blitzer interview in my life or watched American Morning on CNN. In fact, we do not have television here.

"... Ron Paul appeared to be presidential ..."

Appearances can be so deceiving. In fact, successful impression management is what politics is all about.

"... and in a class by himself ..."

Study hall? Lunch? Gym? Is that why Congress goes into "recess"?

"I expect that the Republican nominating convention in Minneapolis in September will be of historic significance..."

Never met one that wasn't. They all get written up and catalogued and archived on the web. The goofier and more pointless, the better the story.

"... and I intend to be there to help make it happen!"

That's the true beauty of collectivism: maximum gains for mininum effort. You get to do what your coordinator tells you that his coordinator told him his coordinator wanted for his.... and in the end, no one really has to do much of anything personally, and yet you all share in the credit. That sounds a lot like Soviet agriculture. (Of course, you know, they failed to feed themselves. It would seem to me that before you change the nation, you might try reforming your own political party to reflect the values you claim to hold so dear: capitalism, egoism, rational-empiricism and metaphysical objectivism.)

Edited by Michael E. Marotta

"Don't worry, folks, you will not have preserve the Constititution or fight the Federal Reserve, amend the Constitution to remove the income tax, or figure out how to balance the Federal budget, because I will do all of that for you. But don't vote yet! Look what else you get at no extra charge: lip-service to the ideals of our nation, homage to the founders of the republic, frequent references to your own fine character, and striking fear into the heart of your enemies."

This is a total misrepresentation of Ron Paul's campaign, but I would expect it out of Marotta.

However the people who vote in primaries hardly represent the population at large.

Right you are! The people who vote in primaries are better informed, more involved, more likely to write checks, more likely to be educated.

I disagree with the both of you. The people that vote in the primaries are very representative of the voting population at large. (Generally) Neither are very well informed nor more likely to be educated. Some of them are more involved (most are not) and some are more likely to write checks (most are not). I know this from experience.

Example, at the Brazos County Republican Party Resolution Meeting, one of my friends had to explain what the Military Commissions Act was. I am not talking about whether it was good or bad, just what it was. Most activist use the political parties as social clubs and have no idea what the issues are. Some people golf, some hunt, some post on OL, some watch football on Sundays and some join political parties. They vote in the primaries but they have no clue what is going on in our government.

-Dustan

Edited by Aggrad02