A Raisin in the Sun

BAMF

I was re-reading A Raisin in the Sun tonight and I came across this gem on page 39.

BENEATHA: "Mama, you don't understand. It's all a matter of ideas, and God is just one idea I don't accept. It's not important. I am not going out and be immoral or commit crimes because I don't believe in God. I don't even think about it. It's just that I get tired of Him getting credit for all the things the human race achieves through its own stubborn effort. There simply is no blasted God--there is only man and it is he who makes miracles!"

A new version of A Raisin in the Sun will be airing tomorrow night on ABC.

I was re-reading A Raisin in the Sun tonight and I came across this gem on page 39.

BENEATHA: "Mama, you don't understand. It's all a matter of ideas, and God is just one idea I don't accept. It's not important. I am not going out and be immoral or commit crimes because I don't believe in God. I don't even think about it. It's just that I get tired of Him getting credit for all the things the human race achieves through its own stubborn effort. There simply is no blasted God--there is only man and it is he who makes miracles!"

A new version of A Raisin in the Sun will be airing tomorrow night on ABC.

Good Find.

Great movie from the 50's - Eartha Kitt I believe - never read the book though. They are remaking it, [lack of originality in Hollywood leads to a lot of re-makes it seems].

"A Raisin in the Sun was the first play written by a black woman to be produced on Broadway, as well as the first play with a black director (Lloyd Richards) on Broadway." , appropriate post for "black" history month [what a freaking absurditiy].

Langston Hughs, a fine poet [ "black", "person of color", "afro-american", or what ever the politically acceptable protocol is this weather vane moment in language] gave the concept to the title.

Sidney Poitier, Lou Gosset, Jr. and Ruby Dee, in the 1959 play on Broadway, were reunited in the 1961 - film - seeing it in 1961 and being intense about Rand and other issues - it was an impressive movie.

How is the play/book?

Adam