GONE BABY Gone

~ Many O'ists would find this movie disconcerting (ergo, dis-likeable) because the 'black-and-white' isn't all that obvious, even at the end; indeed, many viewers (and not just O'ists) would argue about the right-wrong decisions varied characters make (especially at the end.)

~ Add in that the initially ostensible 'good guys' get onion-layer-peeled as appearing 'bad' (and, vice-versa for some ostensible 'bad guys'), and then some of each later appearing reversed, depending on your views of...'protecting' children...from whomever, regarding 'whatever,' and the story comes off as discombobulatingly uncomfortable...because of questions about final choices made by the perseveringly questioning primary 'good' guy. --- We're not talking the 'revenge'-genre, here, btw.

2Bcont

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey

~ I don't need all movies/plays to be, as Rand would want them, for me to see worthwhileness therein: showing (a la Aristotle's view) only 'things as they ought to be.' However, if they're not so, I do require them (other than comedy) to be 'thought-provoking'...as Rand's own books most definitely were.

~ This movie/story (originally a book, I gathered) is the most thought-provoking and 'emotionally-impacting' story I've ever experienced. It goes far afield in depth of Ethics/Morals questions beyond what it initially starts out as seeming to be (searching through street-scum trying to find a missing/dead 4-yr-old girl.)

~ Casey Affleck's character, at the end, made a decision...to abide 'by The Law'; did he 'do the right thing', or, did he not? He clearly thought he did (though, in the final scene, he also clearly seemed to wonder on that.)

--- Would *you* have done the same?

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey