Search

If you want better results from the forum's search function, please do the following:

1. When you click on "Search," instead of inserting text in the field that pops up, click "More Search Options."

2. In the new window, put your text in "Search by Keywords." You really should click on "Advanced Usage Help" in order to become familiar with the different ways of searching for keywords.

3. If you are looking for a specific person's post, put in his name under "Filter by Member Name (optional)." If you know his name as given on OL (the one that appears on the left of his posts), you can use it and click "Match Exact Name" for even better results.

4. Be careful with "Search Where." Sometimes a specific forum will be selected because of where you were last active. If you want to search all of OL, make sure "All Forums" is selected.

5. The following to me is the most important. Under "Refine Search," then "Result Type," make sure you select "Show results as posts." If you don't, the results will merely give the threads where the keyword appears. Then you have to go through all posts on each thread to find what you want. Why that is a default is beyond me. It is a stupid feature of the forum software and one day I will try to have this default changed (when I am more technically knowledgeable). But by selecting "Show results as posts," the actual posts containing the keywords are given. It's a nag to have to do this each time, but it is a time-saver.

6. The other options are pretty self-explanatory.

Later I will do a screencast of this process and post it here. I just got the screencasting software and I am still learning it.

Michael

• 6 months later...
Later I will do a screencast of this process and post it here. I just got the screencasting software and I am still learning it.

Michael

Michael -

What screencasting software do you use?

Bill P (Alfonso)

Bill,

I have Camtasia 3 for now. (I intend to upgrade to 5.) But I still have not done all the tutorials. I started cutting my teeth on CamStudio since it is free. It works well and lots of people use it. I have read good things about Wink, also.

Right now I am playing with Windows MovieMaker and using Camtasia to make clips to insert.

Michael