How Web 2.0 Works

How Web 2.0 Works

by Jonathan Strickland

This article is about as good an introduction to the concepts behind Web 2.0 as it gets. From the article:

In September 2005, Tim O'Reilly posted a blog entry that defined Web 2.0. The explanation spanned five pages of text and graphics illustrating O'Reilly's take on what the term meant. O'Reilly's philosophy of Web 2.0 included these ideas:

• Using the Web as an applications platform
  • Democratizing the Web
  • Employing new methods to distribute information

In this article, we'll explore each of these points.

Although this might sound a little geeky, this is the future. It is also a great source of income (I should say wide array of income mechanisms) if you do the studying. However, you don't have to become a geek. Most applications are very user friendly. If we are near to a global financial crisis, it makes sense to learn this stuff, as I do not think it will go away in a crisis.

The only problem to learning is that right now we are in the middle of a wonderful explosion of a vast number of new applications (both free and paid) arriving on the Internet everyday. Each one has its own procedures that need to be learned and this can become a bit overwhelming. But the good news is that you don't have to use all the programs out there. Just becoming good at one usually provides some kind of opportunity for making money. With some, like Wikipedia, this is not so easy. (Funny that an Objectivist did this one.) But with Google, there's Adsense for starters.

Later I might open a section on OL just to discuss the Internet.

Michael

• 10 months later...

How Web 2.0 Works

by Jonathan Strickland

This article is about as good an introduction to the concepts behind Web 2.0 as it gets. From the article:

In September 2005, Tim O'Reilly posted a blog entry that defined Web 2.0. The explanation spanned five pages of text and graphics illustrating O'Reilly's take on what the term meant. O'Reilly's philosophy of Web 2.0 included these ideas:

• Using the Web as an applications platform
  • Democratizing the Web
  • Employing new methods to distribute information

In this article, we'll explore each of these points.

Although this might sound a little geeky, this is the future. It is also a great source of income (I should say wide array of income mechanisms) if you do the studying. However, you don't have to become a geek. Most applications are very user friendly. If we are near to a global financial crisis, it makes sense to learn this stuff, as I do not think it will go away in a crisis.

The only problem to learning is that right now we are in the middle of a wonderful explosion of a vast number of new applications (both free and paid) arriving on the Internet everyday. Each one has its own procedures that need to be learned and this can become a bit overwhelming. But the good news is that you don't have to use all the programs out there. Just becoming good at one usually provides some kind of opportunity for making money. With some, like Wikipedia, this is not so easy. (Funny that an Objectivist did this one.) But with Google, there's Adsense for starters.

Later I might open a section on OL just to discuss the Internet.

Michael

Michael,

I think it is a good idea to open a section to discuss the Internet, including its implications to human society and its endless applications to enhancing individual well-being.

I wonder if people who are in the profession of being programmers/software developers/web developers will tend to be drawn to Objectivism. I am a web developer myself. And I love to engage in thinking and problem solving all the time (though I admit there are still plenty of rooms for me to improve on that). I constantly try to obtain good (objective) knowledge to improve myself (both physically and mentally). I believe Objectivism will provide such a venue for me to achieve such goals and I look forward to that.

I am new to Objectivism and I don't want to call myself one before I fully understand the philosophy yet.

antihero3000

Anti; You may want to think about changing your handle as you find out more about Objectivism. Ayn Rand thought of man as a heroic being.

I would say many Objectivists are into computers. Many are programmers.

Chris,

Thanks for the response.

I still prefer the handle because it reminds me to think outside the box :rolleyes:

In my personal opinion, the concept of heroism in today's world is tainted with idea of self-sacrifice. Being a hero often means sacrifice yourself for the common good. In order to remind myself not to be the kind of hero that is contradictory to what Ayn Rand has envisioned, I would rather be a bit eccentric.

antihero3000

Chris,

Thanks for the response.

I still prefer the handle because it reminds me to think outside the box :rolleyes:

In my personal opinion, the concept of heroism in today's world is tainted with idea of self-sacrifice. Being a hero often means sacrifice yourself for the common good. In order to remind myself not to be the kind of hero that is contradictory to what Ayn Rand has envisioned, I would rather be a bit eccentric.

antihero3000

Your response is thoughtful. Miss Rand who said she was challenging a morality 3000 years old and she wanted to change the idea of what a hero was.

Your handle maybe a good idea after all. In a world where Princess Di and Mother Theresa are considered hero's. Being an antihero is not a bad idea.