Annual Seminars as Outreach -

syrakusos

In the "TAS Dollars at Work" topic, I said that the American Numismatic Association has been putting on conventions for 117 years and still it draws only those who are already interested in the hobby. That is not entirely correct and I would like to draw some parallels between what the ANA actually does successfully and what Objectivists could do to be successful.

First of all, the two ANA conventions are held in different cities. Some cities like NYC, Portland Ore, and Phoenix see conventions more often than Milwaukee or Jacksonsville, but the ANA does get around. This brings the hobby to the people. At the local level, the national organization involves the folks in the hometown as volunteers. Also, members who want the option of being dealers though they are not so on the tax returns can get reduced prices on tables based on an assumption that their inventory is not rare at the the worldclass level. Clubs get free tables. Realize that tables cost on the order of $1000 for three days, and we get about 300 dealers including a dozen or so Mints, US and foreign. The USPS will be there also making special cancellations, often from products created there by a BEP display, such as an antique "spider press." The point is that the ANA Convention is inclusive.

Another aspect of this inclusivity is the creation of local media events. Rare coins will be spent into circulation. Guided tours will take people to local historical sites, especially with numismatic interest. Realize though that "coins are history you hold in your hand" so we can fit almost anything to the hobby.

Publicity brings in anyone from the public mostly to sell their coins and other materials, but also to buy.

One of the hardest sells is the Educational Forum, called the "Numismatic Theatre." It runs all three days and I have spoken to three people, one of whom was my own guest. Last time, I brought my ex-inlaws and added about a third to the room. It's not just me. I have seen nationally known authors whose handbooks the collectors are using on the floor to find great deals, pacing in front of an empty room waiting for someone to show up to find out what the next hot item will be. Nonetheless, the talks are videorecorded and added to the ANA Library. Mine on "Alexander as Herakles" and "Counterfeits: Threat or Menace" were recorded.

We have auctions every night, awards ceremonies throughout, and an awards dinner and some kind of breakfasts. The idea is to give everyone a chance to find one day in three to do as much as they can. Some take advantage of all three days. The dealers must by contract hold their tables for the show. (Some waffling there...)

For the Objectivists, as well as having Nationally Known Big Name Philosophers, a movable seminar would include the locals who want to present.

There would be lots of opportunities to buy anything and everything from t-shirts and bumperstickers to gold and silver and wine and meat for that matter.

Local attractions could be boosted in the press releases. (Imagine what you could do with Cleveland!) Every town has railroad stations, old industries and banks, etc., as well as new ventures that challenge old paradigms. Get with the chamber of commerce and give out awards of gold coins and tell them they have a right to their profits while you play Rachmaninoff in the background. A local symphony, a local theatre troup, can all be involved and for at least some profit and publicity.

(More ... )

Edited by Michael E. Marotta

Objectivist musical artists could provide entertainment. Roger Bissell could provide some wonderful brass instrumentation during the day, and after everyone has had a few drinks and wants to party I could do a nice set of dark electro-industrial.

What about public liability insurance costs? And aren't these tour-type seminars a logistical nightmare to organize?