Karl Popper

RTB

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/popper/

Good topic for conversation.

Most scientists I've run into are heavily influenced, it seems, by his methodology.

I know there are contradictions in it that are glaring, not to mention the typical reliance of the analytic / synthetic dichotomy as a principle. The asymptotic curve principle (although I don't know if Popper or the Positivists ever called it that) as a tool of versimilitude.

Would like to get a discussion started as it interests me. I'll post more thoughts when I have some time.

Edited by RTB

This is what I did last night while holding up my noodle verifiying its falsifiability....

*omg he made a sex philosophy joke with external references! Hide the women and children!*

:unsure::P

RTB,

Try the Search function (it's not hard to learn). There's stuff about Popper all over the place, including quotes from the Stanford U page.

Michael

Yes, no kidding. I wasn't asking if anyone had a 'search function' for Popperian topics.

I was asking for your commentary and posted this as a point of discussion. If you don't like it just delete it. God forbid I disturb your morning by posting substantive topics for commentary. Geez.

Perhaps you misunderstood Michael. He was no doubt referring to the search function on this forum, as there have already been countless discussions about Popper here, and you'd perhaps better read those first and use one of those as a starting point instead of some very general article about Popper. Here is one example.

Perhaps you misunderstood Michael. He was no doubt referring to the search function on this forum, as there have already been countless discussions about Popper here, and you'd perhaps better read those first and use one of those as a starting point instead of some very general article about Popper. Here is one example.

Ok, then. If I didn't understand then I apologize.

The forums are just too dense and uncleaned to ever find anything especially as a newcomer.

RTB:

~ I'm not aware of any forum where subject 'X' is not, well, all over the place in varied sub-forums/threads. Methinks all forums are 'unclean' (cluttered with tangents to the original subject, which are discussed multiply in other sections) as you see herein.

~ Still, check out the other threads. Methinks you'll find the readings worthwhile.

MSK:

~ I've tried the 'in-house' search function for a cross-referencing relationship 'twixt Klingonese and Esperanto and haven't found anything yet. You sure it works adequately?

LLAP

J:D

John,

I will make a tutorial on the search function later. For now, be careful with the "search this forum only" option. If you want to search the entire site, you have to unclick it.

Also, if you go to advanced search, you can get the searches reported as separate posts and not entire threads. Personally, I only use advanced search.

Michael