The Golden Compass rant

Mike Renzulli

One thing I wanted to point out about The Golden Compass is that I wonder how Nicole Kidman feels. Kidman is Catholic and it would seem that her church has slapped her in the face by calling for a boycott of the film.

I know I would have reservations if I were her if the church I belonged to did that to me. Matter of fact, when I was a Christian my church did in many ways.

With all of the hoopla about the Catholic Church and fundamentalist groups making such a big deal about this saying the film will indoctrinate kids in or is geared to promoting atheism, I could easily make the same argument about the Chronicles of Narnia and Lord of the Rings movies that are out, that these movies want to indoctrinate kids in Christianity and/or religion.

This whole controversy reeks of hypocrisy.

I find it interesting, in my personal experience, that no atheists are ranting about religious movies' attempt to promote religion. In effect, thwarting atheist beliefs. I'm sure we know the "reason" why...

Edited by sbeaulieu

An article in today's Wall Street Journal(p. W15) by Leslie Baynes entitled His Dark Material is an attack on The Golden Compass.

The author call the books "bluntly anti-Christian". Those of you interest in the Dark Materials may wish to look at this.

An article in today's Wall Street Journal(p. W15) by Leslie Baynes entitled His Dark Material is an attack on The Golden Compass.

The author call the books "bluntly anti-Christian". Those of you interest in the Dark Materials may wish to look at this.

It is not anti-Christian. It is anti-Church.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I read the books a few years ago. (basically looking for a good series along the line of the Harry Potter books).

I really didn't find it anti-religion, anti-christian, or anti-Catholic.

It IS anti-authoritarian. The Majesterium is similiar to the Catholic Church, but NOT in its beliefs/doctrines (ie, no mention of Christ, etc). Its similiar it terms of its abuse of power and desire to control people and basically eliminate free will.

• 1 month later...