Your Red Scarf Matches Your Eyes

Rodney

Long ago, as a child, I was watching The Ed Sullivan Show, and a performer came on and sang a song. It was addressed to a woman. From the first two lines, I knew I would want to remember it, and so I did--the melody and lyric have remained in my mind ever since.

I only heard the song once, and never thought of it again.

Until the Internet. Then I began to realize that I could research all manner of trivia concerning my early memories, and even experience once again sights and sounds from the past. Eventually, I thought again of that unforgettable song of long ago. So I Googled what I could remember of it--which was most of the lyric, and the name of the performer--and marvelously I relived the moment that had so affected me.

So now it I offer it to my fellow posters here, in the link that follows.

I dedicate this song to all of womankind, since it well expresses my feelings and experiences in relation to them. It is said, "Time flies like an arrow," but hopefully it will prove equally true that not only fruit flies, but also dragonflies and gadflies, like a banana.

Edited by ashleyparkerangel

~ LOL! Cute...and, er, different.

~ Gotta admit, the 1st 1/3rd of it, whilst the narrator introduced this...ditty song...all I could think of watching the 'stills' was Kubrick's Overlook Hotel in his THE SHINING. But, the rest was funny.

~ They don't make songs like that anymore (thank god). --- Well, granted, there's the dog-pound's version of 'Jingle Bells', but that's an anomoly.

LLAP

J:D

PS: I think I'm missing the sexual-metaphysics underpinnings re your view of womankind in this, though...bananas nwst.

Edited by John Dailey

The great actor/comedian/impressionist/singer Guy Marks is here parodying radio broadcasts of his day. (I'm not sure if I understood that back then. Likely not.)

One factor in the humor, to me, is the lameness of this would-be lover's compliments to his lady. And the apparent result of his underwhelming wooing!

Damn, I must have heard the same nonsensical thing, nearly 40 years ago. It's popped up from my subconsciousness many times since, usually when doing a repetitive task, such as washing the dishes.

"Your father had the shipfitter blues" - finally, I know the third line of that chorus. I can die peacefully now.

Edited by Greybird

• 2 weeks later...

That is interesting, because the one line I could not recall in later years was that one--I eventually half-convinced myself that it was "Your father had the black pajama blues."

Guy Marks was apparently a marvelous all-round entertainer. He projected utter conviction in what he was doing, whereas in other performers one often senses that they are worried the material will not go over, to the extent of commenting or apologizing when it does not. Here are two other clips that can be found of his performances:

This one shows him in later years performing his big hit.

In this one we see a few of his masterful impressions--in which he even seems to look like the person he is imitating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6aL4Nn0j8k