Stardust

I think that *Stardust* is a fantastic movie, and I highly recommend it.

Greybird, I have always loved your movie reviews, so please post your thoughts about this fine film. You wrote over a week ago (on another movie thread) that you had written a bit of a review about the movie, which you have seen a number of times and which is due out on DVD before the end of the year. I saw it twice, it is still in Bangkok theaters, and I just may see it again. On one of the nights I saw it in the Siam Paragon Royal Theatre, the youngest princess in the Thai royal family was there to see it. (We had wondered why a score of military and police came into the theater just before the movie began.)

-Ross Barlow.

Bravo, Ross! For starting this thread, and for your having seen it twice. I'd have posted on this long before now, but I was away from OL for many reasons this Summer.

This film was one of the underrated gems of the year, of many of the last few years, and never got the attention (or proper promotion) it deserved. Although it's now left even the second-run theaters in North America, it's still running in Europe, Britain, Australia, and much of the rest of the world, and I encourage all of our overseas friends to take advantage of the larger screen as soon as possible.

I'm going to make good use of a division of labor here. It's exceedingly rare that I come across a review that brings out every point that I would make, stressing them and highlighting them as I would, while avoiding spoilers. (This last is very difficult for me!)

Yet I found it with "Stardust." Before I note my own riffs below, hopefully later today, I'm going to urge that you read it.

The reviewer is David Cornelius of eFilmCritic.com, and his own ecstatic — and accurate! — review can be found here (printer-friendly).

The DVD will be released for Region 1 (U.S. and Canada) four weeks from today, 18 December, and you can find its Amazon.com listing here.