Seen in the neighborhood - Christopher Hitchens

I spent a pleasant weekend visiting with my wife's brother in law who lives in the Cleveland Park section of Washington D.C., just north of Georgetown (at Ordway and 36th St. N.W.), about three blocks from the National Cathedral. It is a very interesting neighborhood. It is a mixed nbhd., consisting of upper middle class folks (who are neither rich nor famous), some well known people and some super-rich folks. The houses are neat, tasteful and not overly ostentatious. An altogether quiet and pleasant nbhd. I would not mind living there myself (alas, I can not afford it).

One of the neighbors is none other than Christopher Hitchens, a well known writer, book reviewer and author. My wife's b.i.l. Michael is acquainted with Hitchens and has even been over to his house. Hitchens is well off enough, but Michael tells me he has practically no furniture. His house is filled floor to ceiling with books. Aside from the necessary furniture (bed, table and chairs, etc) he has little or none. So C.H. is clearly a word-smith dedicated to his literary tasks.

Michael, who also enjoys C.H's writing is concerned about the health of C.H.. He does not take good care of himself and looks dreadful at times. In addition, he is a lush. A dedicated heavy drinker. This is unfortunate for us who have come to enjoy C.H.'s writing. At this rate he will not last very long. Which is a damned shame. Read him while you can.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

I have been at an event with Christopher Hitchens. I sadly agree with Bob's comment about his drinking. I suspect he has closed a few bars.

I must add he is very approachable and gentlemanly..

• 1 month later...

Hitchens rocks!!!!

"I regret that there isn't a hell for him to go to"

"If you gave Falwell an enema you could bury him in a matchbox" - CH on Falwell after he kicked the bucket

He is terribly eloquent and devastatingly funny... like the most utterly insulting British comedy, but with an Enlightenment-American philosophy.... I think if he read some Objectivist literature, he would be somewhat sympathetic to it. I don't think he has ever done an interview sober, and quite frankly he is so fucking hilarious when drunk I wouldnt want him to sober up.

I'd enjoy getting drunk with him.

Edited by studiodekadent

He read some Objectivist literature when he profiled Greenspan in Vanity Fair a few years back, and he wasn't sympathetic. An interesting photo of the Greenspan/Mitchell wedding, though.

I said at the time on one of the Objectivist lists "we loved the job he did on Mother Theresa; pick your own proverb for the occasion."

Edited by Reidy

I said at the time on one of the Objectivist lists "we loved the job he did on Mother Theresa; pick your own proverb for the occasion."

Oh I agree, his Mother Theresa hatchet job ("The Missionary Position") was utterly fantastic. Just drowned the horrid fundamentalist wench in venom. Hearing MT go on about how she wanted to feel close to Christ's sufferring just make me feel deeply sick... that woman was a big time masochist.

He read some Objectivist literature when he profiled Greenspan in Vanity Fair a few years back, and he wasn't sympathetic.

Its quite strange that Hitchens was not sympathetic to Objectivism. After all he is an advocate of secularism, reason and enlightenment philosophy. He is no longer a member of the left, and he did an interview with Reason magazine saying he learned much from the Libertarian critique of state power.

I saw a lecture of his on the "Moral Necessity of Atheism" and it advanced many arguments that I think Objectivists would completely agree with. However, he lumped Rand in with Conservatism... and although some Republicans are Rand-sympathetic they are ideologically not conservative. He did say that Rand was a "Nietzschean" regarding Christianity in that she regarded Christianity as a religion for slaves (which is true), but Rand meant that metaphorically and Hitchens took it too literally.... I think Hitchens seriously misunderstood her or allowed his leftist past to poison him against her, which is strange since Hitchens and Rand basically agree regarding religion.

I'm sorry I can't remember the year or date but Christopher Hitchens appeared at a TAS event in Washington. He was appearing with Ed Hudgins and David Kelley. One of the other speakers was Lee Edwards. It is not available from TAS.

It was after 9-11 since he talked about Billy Graham's sermon a 9-11 memorial service. My memory that his interaction with Ed and David was friendly.

I think he still calls himself a man of the left.

I'm sorry I can't remember the year or date but Christopher Hitchens appeared at a TAS event in Washington. He was appearing with Ed Hudgins and David Kelley. One of the other speakers was Lee Edwards. It is not available from TAS.

It was after 9-11 since he talked about Billy Graham's sermon a 9-11 memorial service. My memory that his interaction with Ed and David was friendly.

I think he still calls himself a man of the left.

If Billy Graham is a man of the right, then I am a man of the left also. I want to be as far away from Graham as I can get.

Ba'al Chatzaf