Happy Halloween

Check out the up-to-date entry for Samhain (aka, Halloween) on Wikipedia. It has been improved considerably in the last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

As a former farm boy myself, I relate strongly to the yearly calendar of the pasturing seasons. At Samhain/Halloween, the vegetative world dies in the northern temperate zones. (Make sure all fodder is in the barn; no more lawn-mowing.) Six months later, on Beltane/Eve of May Day/Walpurgis Night, the green world is reborn. (Herds can be turned out to pasture; have the lawnmower ready.)

Remember that the midway point between Samhain and Beltane is Imbolc/February 2, or, as we celebrate it, Rand Day.

Midway between Beltane and Samhain is Lughnasadh/August 1 or 2. (This is a personal holiday for Steve Reed, his “August the Twoth.” Sorry, Steve, I was preoccupied and forgot to wish you well.)

These are not solar calendar holidays, but rather they hinge upon the vegetative/pasturing cycles. This is one day I miss the temperate zone.

Enjoy.

-Ross Barlow.

Edited by Ross Barlow

Check out the up-to-date entry for Samhain (aka, Halloween) on Wikipedia. It has been improved considerably in the last year.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samhain

As a former farm boy myself, I relate strongly to the yearly calendar of the pasturing seasons. At Samhain/Halloween, the vegetative world dies in the northern temperate zones. (Make sure all fodder is in the barn; no more lawn-mowing.) Six months later, on Beltane/Eve of May Day/Walpurgis Night, the green world is reborn. (Herds can be turned out to pasture; have the lawnmower ready.)

Remember that the midway point between Samhain and Beltane is Imbolc/February 2, or, as we celebrate it, Rand Day.

Midway between Beltane and Samhain is Lughnasadh/August 1 or 2. (This is a personal holiday for Steve Reed, his “August the Twoth.” Sorry, Steve, I was preoccupied and forgot to wish you well.)

These are not solar calendar holidays, but rather they hinge upon the vegetative/pasturing cycles. This is one day I miss the temperate zone.

Enjoy.

-Ross Barlow.

Erin go Bragh! I love the Irish. They make me smile.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf