Who is Michael Stuart Kelly?

Barbara Branden

• 11 months later...

MBM, you asked if my novel, Price No Object, was ever published. No. The problem was that I began writing it shortly after I left New York, having broken with Rand, and I still was very much influenced by her literarily. It was only when the novel was completed -- after almost five years -- that I realized the extent of the influence. It was stylistic, but less in style than in the concept of some of the major characters and in the overall structure. As I continued writing the novel, I began to find my own voice, and so there is a good deal in it that I like very much But not enough to make me want to have it published.

I feel that with The Passion of Ayn Rand, I fully found my own voice. And I do not now want to publish an inferior work. However, because there are aspects of the novel that I am proud of, I may one day put it out on the Internet. There is one character in particular that I fell in love with, a Barbara Branden character, not an Ayn Rand character. He is a defense lawyer, who was intended to be a relatively minor character. But, with him, I had one of those wonderful experiences that make writing a joy. Perhaps other writers will understand this experience. I began introducing him -- and he took off; what was intended to be a couple of paragraphs became several pages of the best and most personal writing I had ever done; the character who was intended to be secondary became a major figure, and my favorite in the book. When I began writing about him, I had not decided on his name; I intended leaving the name blank until later -- but suddenly, there was his name on the page. It felt as if he had told me his name. It was not even a name I particularly liked -- Simon Garrick -- but it seemed as if I had no choice in the matter, that was his name, and I could not change it.

If you should change your mind and publish (internet or physical print) you have at least one reader here.

Alfonso