A new direction needed at The Atlas Society

Mike Renzulli

Dear Mike R,

I appreciate your clarification about this, Mike.

Look, I would be the LAST to declare either that TAS has been without flaw, or that ARI has been without virtue. We have done some things very poorly, and ARI has done some things exceedingly well.

But the reverse has been the case, too.

I just ask that people exercise a bit of proportion. We're making major efforts to improve in areas where we've been weak, and I think the results of those efforts are visibly manifesting themselves. In this, we welcome constructive criticism and offers to help, which we'll accept in a spirit of good will.

Robert,

Thanks for this last post. I met Mike Renzulli briefly when giving my On Intelligence talk at Arizona Objectivists. He's formed his own club and is just the type of free thinking, energetic group leader we need.

Jim

Guys -- A couple of quick points:

1. If anyone has something to say about TAS or some problem, just call me at 202-AYN-RAND. The number is easy to remember!

2. Yes, we have our priorities and a business plan and channel our limited resources accordingly. There are many worthy projects that individual Objectivists can devise but TAS can't be all things to all people; trying to be has been one of our problems in the past.

3. I'm always on the lookout for individuals who both understand Objectivism and are highly competent to do specific jobs at TAS. It's not enough to be able to recite catechisms.

4. Mike, if you'd like a speaker for your club, I'd be happy to oblige. I might try to get out to speak to the Phoenix-based club sometime and it's a easy drive to your area. Maybe we can arrange something!

Jim,

Sure.

But the way I see it is when conformity to business goals are promoted, the company prospers. When conformity to dumb rules or personalities are implemented as a primary value, the company does not prosper.

Using your own term "locally suboptimal solutions," this does not sound like conformity to business goals, but instead conformity to a bureaucratic procedure, and it sounds like the business goals are attained despite the measure, not because of it.

In short, I see a HUGE difference between lockstep and teamwork. I see both present in most organizations, although there is a tilt in one direction or another.

Unless ARI rids itself of its focus on lockstep and starts valuing teamwork more, I foresee it losing a lot of ground or stagnating as Objectivism spreads, especially after the old generation passes away and even more so when Rand's works enter the public domain.

Michael

Michael,

Unfortunately, I disagree with your assessment. I agree that lockstep approaches are bad, limiting and ultimately require revision. However, I don't think ARI is going to stagnate in terms of membership. What will and has happened is that no work will get done by them outside the narrow scope they have defined for themselves. Yaron Brook reminds me a lot of modern day Mormon leaders with his emphasis on community, communication and effective business plans.

Jim

1. If anyone has something to say about TAS or some problem, just call me at 202-AYN-RAND. The number is easy to remember!

2. Yes, we have our priorities and a business plan and channel our limited resources accordingly. There are many worthy projects that individual Objectivists can devise but TAS can't be all things to all people; trying to be has been one of our problems in the past.

3. I'm always on the lookout for individuals who both understand Objectivism and are highly competent to do specific jobs at TAS. It's not enough to be able to recite catechisms.

4. Mike, if you'd like a speaker for your club, I'd be happy to oblige. I might try to get out to speak to the Phoenix-based club sometime and it's a easy drive to your area. Maybe we can arrange something!

Ed,

Thanks for that post. All of us wish the best for TAS. The accomplishments over the last year bode well. I think the fact that people are poking their head up and noticing TAS again is a good sign. I think that the quick wins this year can be translated into a sustained success. The TNI magazine and the Atlas 50th conference are terrific examples of reaching new people with Objectivism.

Jim

Jim, let me add that I have always particularly valued your own insights and (always constructive) criticisms. We're keenly aware of the need for more professionalism in various areas, and we have been working extra hard to refine our focus and implement better practicies. You're seeing some happy results of these efforts, and you'll see many more in the coming year.

Again, constructive input and feedback are always welcome. Contact us anytime.

If the feedback pertains to the magazine, contact me at:

rbidinotto(at)atlassociety(dot)org

I agree with the assessment that TAS is on the upswing and making a good account of itself, especially with the Atlas publicity events and the wonderful job Bob B. is doing with the magazine.

There was justifiable dissatisfaction with the organization several years ago, but the blood-lust of the ARI partisans to kick TOC (now TAS) when it was down struck me as eerily similar to the clubbing of baby seals. Thankfully, that has subsided.

REB

Roger; Are the chief clubbers at a site named for part of a meal?

Man, I had to think about that one for a minute or so!

Yes, Chris, and the site's name rhymes with "Strudel Rude," a very discourteous part of a meal, indeed. :-)

REB

Hello Ed,

I pretty much said my piece on TAS but if I have any more concerns, I will contact you.

As far as a speaker at my club is concerned, I will keep you in mind. Meantime, Tibor Machan will be coming out in November to speak at a function at The Matador Restaurant and then The Goldwater Institute.

If you want to arrange something else, please let me know.

Your welcome, Robert and keep up the good work. I suppose the wrinkles at TAS will have to be ironed out and that will take time. Meantime, FWIW I am still supporting TAS by ordering recorded lectures via their website.

Dear Mike R,

I appreciate your clarification about this, Mike.

Look, I would be the LAST to declare either that TAS has been without flaw, or that ARI has been without virtue. We have done some things very poorly, and ARI has done some things exceedingly well.

But the reverse has been the case, too.

I just ask that people exercise a bit of proportion. We're making major efforts to improve in areas where we've been weak, and I think the results of those efforts are visibly manifesting themselves. In this, we welcome constructive criticism and offers to help, which we'll accept in a spirit of good will.

I do agree that ARI is more visible than TAS in terms of outreach and preaching. However, TAS works with other groups like the Cato Institute wheras ARI burns bridges incessantly, so TAS should, at least in theory, have more clout with a larger intellectual circle.

I do think that TAS would benefit from an increased focus on outreach and the like. I mean, if no one wants to manufacture a sex scandal for TAS publicity I would understand, but certainly I see benefit in attempting to establish an open-system Objectivist network... maybe TAS should get a MySpace and start a group for unorthodox Objectivists. I'd certainly join.

However I dont have any big problems with TAS, its better than ARI and I have found tons of useful info with TAS.

Oh, maybe TAS could take PayPal at its book service? Just a suggestion.