The New Individualist - Special Issue - Jan/Feb 2006

I just received my copy of The New Individualist and what a treat! Bidibob went overboard in the creativity department and decked it out as a tabloid publication.

On the cover you see Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Rob Lowe and Jim Carrey all in poses like you see on celebrity magazines. It's all in good fun, but it still strikes the theme of this issue - entertainment and celebrities Objectivism-style.

The contents include an article on Tracey Ross (soap opera star and Randian individualist) "Celebrity Rand Fans" (with all the biggies), Rand's "stamp" (influence) on American culture, Terry Goodkind (best-selling fantasy author who openly proclaims Rand's influence), a review of the Q&A book and a jab at Buckley and others who, years ago, predicted that Objectivism would not survive.

Since I just got it, I haven't read it. But this one looks like a lot of fun.

Great job, you guys.

Michael

I got my NI today, too, and I agree with Michael: Bob B. did a wonderful job with it. It's hard to imagine anyone finding fault with it -- but that hasn't stopped Dizzy, Lady Di, and the Gang before. :-/

I think it's particularly telling, to see an Objectivist publication that actually celebrates the culture as being benevolently open to the philosophy of Objectivism, and not just a cesspool against which we must batten down the hatches and isolate/insulate ourselves against its baleful influences.

REB

I very much appreciate the kind words, gentlemen. As you might guess, a hell of a lot of work went into this issue, and I'm very proud of it.

And if you've liked this cover and the previous one, you'll love the next one!

Thanks for that wonderful issue, Robert. Very cool.

I never realized how many famous people have actually come out on record in favor of Ayn Rand. It makes me wonder if they will ever actually make Atlas Shrugged into a movie. I finally saw the Fountainhead on video and I give it a thumbs sideways. It was good for a campy old black and white film, but the acting was a bit stiff. Since so much was missing from the story, for example the whole temple thing, I wonder what it would be like if AR's books were broken up and made into multiple part series.

Here is a picture of the Christina Ricci poster for the American Library Association that is mentioned in the article. The book she is holding is The Fountainhead.

Ricci.jpg

• 3 months later...
Here is a picture of the Christina Ricci poster for the American Library Association that is mentioned in the article. The book she is holding is The Fountainhead.

I've seen that poster, but never noticed which book she was holding! Was too busy looking elsewhere on her person. ;)