Nathaniel Branden's Self-Esteem Every Day - 2006

Kat

June 12 – Self-Esteem Every Day

The opposite of self-assertiveness is self-abnegation—abandoning or submerging your personal values, judgment, and interests.  Some people tell themselves this is a virtue.  It is a "virtue" that corrodes self-esteem.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

June 13 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Out of fear, out of the desire for approval, out of misguided notions of duty, people surrender themselves—their convictions and their aspirations—every day.  There is nothing noble about it.  It takes far more courage to fight for your values than to relinquish them.

June 14 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Chances are, when you were young, you were told, in effect, "Listen kid, here's the news:  life is not about you. Life is not about what you want.  What you want is not important.  Life is about doing what other people expect of you."  If you accepted this idea, later on you wondered what happened to your fire.  Where had your enthusiasm for living gone?

June 15 – Self-Esteem Every Day

It is naive to think that self-assertiveness is easy.  To live self-assertively—which means to live authentically—is an act of high courage.  That is why so many people spend the better parts of their lives in hiding—from others and also from themselves.

June 17 – Self-Esteem Every Day

It is humiliating to realize that when you drive yourself underground, when you fake who you are, often you do so for people you do not even like or respect.

June 18 – Self-Esteem Every Day

What is the specter that makes self-assertiveness feel so terrifying? The image of someone frowning in disagreement or disapproval.  

June 20 – Self-Esteem Every Day

In a dictatorship people often feel compelled to hide their thoughts and feelings for fear of being arrested or killed.  Such fear can be rational.  but what does it do for your self-esteem if you live that way in a free country?

June 21 – Self-Esteem Every Day

If you overcome your fear to ask someone for a date, a raise, or help with a project, that is an act of self-assertiveness.  You are moving out into life instead of contracting and withdrawing.

June 22 – Self-Esteem Every Day

To accept the challenge of acquiring a new skill such as mastering the computer or learning to ski or play chess, especially when the prospect of doing so scares you, is an act of self-assertiveness.  You are pushing your boundaries, defying your comfort zone, expanding your territory.

Nathaniel Branden wrote:

What is the specter that makes self-assertiveness feel so terrifying? The image of someone frowning in disagreement or disapproval.

That describes my mother, and my first school teachers.

Nathaniel Branden wrote:

A bully hides his fear with false bravado. That is the opposite of self-assertiveness.

That describes the other kids in school, though it is only lately that I can see it that way. I assume they got to be that way because they were raised much the way I was. Certainly they had the same teachers.

The other kids must have learnt their lesson (watch my face, class, seek my approval, fear my frown) sooner than I did; because they rarely got beaten as often as I.

(Since I brought the subject up, let me illustrate by singing our class version of Battle Hymn of the Republic. We sang the chorus thus:

"Glory, glory hallelujah! Teacher hit me with a ruler!

I met her in the attic with a German automatic,

And she ain't my teacher no more."

We all sang it that way, and somehow the teacher never noticed.)

I love those golden oldies! Brings back memories. Here's the version we used to sing...

"Glory, glory hallelujah! Teacher hit me with a ruler!

Met her at the door with a number 44 and she don't teach no more."

or how 'bout this golden oldie...

"Row, row, row your boat gently down the stream.

Throw your teachers overboard and listen to them scream!"

Kat

June 25 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Sometimes when a man wants to cry, he gets angry; when a woman wants to get angry, she cries: two forms of non-self-assertiveness disguised as emotional expressiveness.

June 26 – Self-Esteem Every Day

"Passive-aggressive" is the name psychologists give to people who develop ingenious ways to torture those around them without ever being self-assertive.

June 27 – Self-Esteem Every Day

In an organization self-assertiveness is required not merely to have a good idea but to develop it, fight for it, work to win supporters for it, and do everything in your power to assure its realization.  

June 28 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Some people stand and move as if they have no right to the space they occupy. They wonder why others often fail to treat them with respect—not realizing that they have signaled others that it is not necessary to treat them with respect.

June 29 – Self-Esteem Every Day

Persons with good self-esteem tend to be self-assertive.  Persons who are self-assertive thereby strengthen their self-esteem.  The causality flows in both directions.  The relationship is reciprocal.

June 30 – Self-Esteem Every Day

It is a mistake to look at someone self-assertive and say, "It is easy for her, she has good self-esteem."  One of the ways you build self-esteem is by being self-assertive when it is not easy to do.  There are always times when self-assertiveness requires courage, no matter how high your self-esteem.