Ratatouille

Kat

Just saw the latest movie from Pixar and thought that this would be a good dish to try.

weight%20watchers%20ratatouille%20recipe.JPG

Ratatouille

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

2 teaspoons finely minced garlic

1 cup chopped onions

1 large eggplant

3 medium zucchini

2 large green peppers

1 teaspoon dried oregano

1 tablespoon fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil

2 teaspoons chopped parsley

2 cups crushed canned tomatoes

fresh ground pepper

Preparation

1. Heat oil in Dutch oven or large saucepan, cook garlic and onions until tender.

2. Cut vegetables into 1-inch pieces.

3. Add the eggplant, zucchini, pepper,oregano, parsley and stir well.

4. Saute for about 5 minutes.

5. Add tomatoes, cover and cook over low heat for about 45 minutes.

6. Serve hot or cover mixture and refrigerate to serve chilled.

WW POINTS per serving: 2

Nutritional information per serving: 113 calories, 0.9g fat, 9.5g fiber

Some tips from my experience:

1. Toss the diced eggplant and the diced zucchini with a teaspoon of salt each and let them drain in separate colanders (for reasons that will become evident) for 30 - 60 minutes, then squeeze them dry with paper towels. This gives them better texture.

2. Saute the ingredients one at a time, in succession or in separate pans if you have them, setting them aside as done. First the onions, which should get soft and slightly brown over low heat, then zuccini, peppers (I like red or yellow better than green) and eggplant over higher heat. Combine everything, including the tomatoes, for a final cooking.

3. 45 minutes is longer than I'd do it. Taste and see when the vegetables are done to your liking.

4. If you have fresh basil, tear it and stir it in at serving time rather than during cooking.

~ Glad to see that Rattus (Norvegicus or whatever) wasn't included. (Though I've always had a curiousity about Stallone's comment in DEMOLITION MAN about 'ratburgers.')

~ Anyhoo, my wife and I will be taking Johnny and Joey (and the latter's new, younger friend) to see this...movie-of-a-menu (though Joey and said may last-minute opt for HARRY AND...). The trailers didn't make the movie seem as good as SHREK (I or II; skip III, please.) But, most reviews (and friends' comments) say it's better than it's played up (like several movies [BRIDGE TO TARABITHIA or PAN'S LABYRINTH anyone?]) to be. Indeed, the trailers DON'T show how 'good' it really is. Impression: it's more than a mere 'time-killer' 'toon.

~ I'll ask my wife to check out your recipe...sans refs to Rattus.

LLAP

J:D

Edited by John Dailey