DRIVEN TO DISTRACTION

John Dailey

~ I had accepted for a long time that 'ADD' (and now, ADHD as well) was merely an overhyped concern about noticeably energetic kids, and as just another authoritatively official excuse for schools to use some drug or other to control even the slightest 'behaviour problem' they might have to deal with. --- I'd guess that Oprah et al had had a program or two on it by now (and, I hadn't caught any), and now, after reading this book, wonder if I just might have missed some worthwhile info.

~ This book opened my eyes on the subject and is the best on psychology (er, psychiatry) I've read since...well...Nathaniel Branden's (haven't read many others since, granted.) This IS territory worth knowing about. --- Surprised that the subject doesn't seem to have been brought up in THIS forum yet.

~ OH...DRIVEN TO DISTRACTION - Recognizing and Coping with Attention Deficit Disorder from Childhood throught Adulthood by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D., and John J. Ratey, M.D.

LLAP

J:D

This IS territory worth knowing about. --- Surprised that the subject doesn't seem to have been brought up in THIS forum yet.

John,

Please see the discussions below:

Gut and Psychology Syndrome (GAPS)

Book I'm reading on causes for autism, schizophrenia

Autistic Spectrum Disorders

What is talent?

(See posts from around January 5 to 7, 2007.)

Michael

MSK:

~ Thanx for the refs. Had already commented at the end of one. --- As with Dragonfly, not clear on any association of ADD/ADHD (by their diagnostic criteria; 2 types given in book) to autism or schizophrenia (much less most other PDD's focused on in the refs).

~ The reason I hype this book is because the writers themselves admit to a 'subjectivity' or ambiguity in attempting to diagnose it, while ntl making a solid case of its existence. I've been looking at some friends I know where some behaviours appear to make sense...now. Mainly the diagnosis-prob hinges around not in observing the criteria's elements so much as determining if enough of them are 'chronic' or 'more than average' in a way that interferes with the rest of one's life.

~ Oh, yes: they stress "Do Not 'self-diagnose'" in the sense of determining what drugs/diets to follow. Something maybe many should think about re other disorders as well?

LLAP

MSK:

~ Thanx. I already knew about avoiding ingesting mercury...uh...but pregnant women also? That's a new one. I'll have to Google and Wiki them, then "Lemme get back to ya on that." :lol:

~ I've learned to avoid poison oak also, but, we're really not talking 'diagnostics' here ('differential' or otherwise) I presume? :logik:

LLAP

• 8 months later...

Having experience with this, I can assure you you're right to be skeptical. My being diagnosed with ADD (twice over) just came down to the question of my having trouble paying attention at times. Nevermind that I was sleep deprived, anxious, and bored in class, it had to be ADD apparently. So they put me on Ritalin, and it was one of the worst experiences in my life. I'm glad I cut it short.