Amazing Grace(less)

Amazing Grace

As I used to be a conductor and record producer, I normally don't like poorly performed music as humor, but I took a look at this Evangelical pastor simply massacre "Amazing Graze" just for the hell of it. The title was "Hilariously Bad." After a minute or so, I started getting irritated and almost turned it off, but for some reason, I didn't. The idea crossed my mind to test my own patience, so I did an inner serenity exercise, found my calm spot, and watched dispassionately.

About halfway through, I lost it. I suddenly burst out laughing and kept busting a gut. The tears are still streaming down my eyes as I type this.

I thought I had seen it all, but this exceeded every experience I have ever encountered.

Dayaamm!

Sweet Jesus!

Oh God, the pain... the pain...

Michael

Barbara,

If you only lasted 2 minutes, then you missed when the spirit descended on him. It gets worse. But after that, it even gets worse!

Also, I have produced singers who sometimes forget the words to a line, but I have never seen a singer not get past the first line during an entire song.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound... er...

:)

Michael

Barbara,

If you only lasted 2 minutes, then you missed when the spirit descended on him. It gets worse. But after that, it even gets worse!

Also, I have produced singers who sometimes forget the words to a line, but I have never seen a singer not get past the first line during an entire song.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound... er...

:)

Michael

Tears Tears and yet more.........

What is a zinggrace - any ideas?!

Michael, thankyou for pointing the day in the right direction!!

By the way, do you remember the Portsmouth Sinfonia?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDFaHAmNe-c

Not for the squeamish!

Well, in this genre this interpretation of Mozart's Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen is of course the all-time classic.

When I was a kid, I was singing in the shower when my father asked me to please stop (singing, not showering), but I never sounded this gawd-awful.

Barbara

Michael,

OUCH. That was half painful/half funny. But I couldn't help cracking up during the last minute or so. Personally, I love my musical comedy, but only when it's intentional and, at the same time, somewhat really talented, like so:

But my favorites will always be Victor Borge, and particularly P.D.Q. Bach. YES!

~Elizabeth

Its bad enough that he couldn't sing, tried to put his own "soul" into it, but on top of that, he's got some kind of speech indepament. :sick: :purple: :hyper:

Well, in this genre this interpretation of Mozart's Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen is of course the all-time classic.

I've heard of this woman before but this was my first exposure to her singing. I didn't finish it either because it stopped being funny about two minutes in.

Florence Foster Jennings, Mrs. Miller, William Hung...there's one in every generation.

I don't know what to think of this. Are we all having fun at some "touched" individual's expense? It wasn't only the singing that made me uncomfortable watching this video.

Michael,

I don't know how this is here in the USA anymore, but if that had been in Brazil, I would say this guy either just got out of jail or was in trouble for some kind of hustle, moved on and decided to open a fundamentalist church as a scam. Notice that he looked at the clock near the end (time to pass that plate, brother). Also, he appeared drunk or high, couldn't sing worth a damn, and poured it on thick to appear sincere. (Come on. What pastor doesn't know the words to "Amazing Grace"?)

The congregation certainly applauded him and high-fived him with an "Amen" at the end.

Touched? Try the congregation. This dude knew exactly what he was doing. He just couldn't sing. But he knew that if you appear sincere and emotional, it makes folks dig deep for Jesus.

I know after trying to get one mediocrity after another to sing in the pop music world, this hit my funnybone like a sledgehammer and I just couldn't stop laughing from the awfulness of it all. God knows I have suffered, but not like that...

Michael

I'm not quite sure how to feel about that. I laughed, but at the same time I thought it was the worst thing I've ever heard next to a Nickelback record. Shit, even I know the lyrics to Amazing Grace. Fa Christ's sake!

I don't know what to think of this. Are we all having fun at some "touched" individual's expense? It wasn't only the singing that made me uncomfortable watching this video.

Michael,

I don't know how this is here in the USA anymore, but if that had been in Brazil, I would say this guy either just got out of jail or was in trouble for some kind of hustle, moved on and decided to open a fundamentalist church as a scam. Notice that he looked at the clock near the end (time to pass that plate, brother). Also, he appeared drunk or high, couldn't sing worth a damn, and poured it on thick to appear sincere. (Come on. What pastor doesn't know the words to "Amazing Grace"?)

The congregation certainly applauded him and high-fived him with an "Amen" at the end.

Touched? Try the congregation. This dude knew exactly what he was doing. He just couldn't sing. But he knew that if you appear sincere and emotional, it makes folks dig deep for Jesus.

I know after trying to get one mediocrity after another to sing in the pop music world, this hit my funnybone like a sledgehammer and I just couldn't stop laughing from the awfulness of it all. God knows I have suffered, but not like that...

Michael

Michael,

If this guy is a pastor, I stand corrected. I was under the impression that he was a lay-person and that the congregation was simply offering an encouraging Amen at the end of his "song". I will tell you that during my seeker years, I saw a lot of decent and sincere people do a lot of weird shit at a lot of weird churches. That said, although I'm not a musician, I do appreciate good music, I prefer Aretha Franklin's version of Amazing Grace.

Mick

Unfortunately, I've heard its equivalent at high school concerts. I stopped going to them while I was in college.

Judith

Personally, I love my musical comedy, but only when it's intentional and, at the same time, somewhat really talented, like so:

But my favorites will always be Victor Borge, and particularly P.D.Q. Bach. YES!

~Elizabeth

Elizabeth - so glad to see you have found Dudley Moore's genius. My favourite of his was the Beethoven Sonata parody (Colonel Bogey)....and there is a version somewhere in which he is actually dressed as Beethoven, wig and all.

In my musical youth Victor Borge stood tall in terms of seriously comical ....The soprano... is about four and a half feet tall... Lying down ......or ......I'm going to play it with both hands so it will end faster...... :lol:

For me he was up there with Flanders and Swann, Tom Lehrer, Spike Jones, Peter Sellers