I'd value recommendations for great sci-fi novels with happy endings

Fran

If anybody else would like to share their favourite books, I would enjoy hearing them (I'm hoping to live for a long time... :)

One of my favorite books of all time -- from any genre -- is J. Neil Schulman's "The Rainbow Cadenza". I wept at the end because I was so inspired by it. Probably out of print; look for it at www.abebooks.com.

Judith

Judith, thanks. It's in print: http://www.rainbowcadenza.com

I have three canonical books on my fiction shelf:

1. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by R. A. Heinlein.

2. The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin

3. Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand.

I read Atlas Shrugged as alternate time line fiction, in the same genre as -Bring the Jubilee- by Ward Moore and the Draka Domination series by S.M. Sterling

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Judith, thanks. It's in print: http://www.rainbowcadenza.com

It's a brilliant and ingenious plot, limned through one of the great heroines of literature, Joan Darris, and one of my own favorite books since its publication. (My Amazon.com review.)

Yet that pulpless.com edition (PDF or printed) does Neil's legacy no service. It's full of typos and of what are clearly OCR errors, three or more per page in some cases, and with some of them materially changing the meaning of crucial passages.

I'd suggest looking for one of the Avon paperback editions through Amazon.com Marketplace. They contain the same eight Afterwords (though Ivan Dryer's is the original version). They do suffer from 25 years of acidic-paper degradation. Yet Avon clearly employed copyeditors to check the galleys before it went into print.

You can currently find one of the Avon editions for sale, with many inexpensive used copies, here (link is subject to change).