I asked a fellow what he thinks happens after one dies. He said...

galtgulch

As if there are different realities depending on what one believes. He really did believe that if one believed one thing that would be what actually happens but if you believed another way then something else would hold true.

Now the question is how to determine where to draw the line between misconception and psychotic delusion.

Curious that there is no category Religion of all the categories on this Forum. Has everyting been said among Objectivists about religion that there is nothing left to discuss?

I think this question of mine belongs more in the category psycho epistemology.

galt

Edited by galtgulch

"Galt; This is the ultimate primacy of consciousness."

Chris,

I know. What he said belongs in what used to be entitled The Horror File.

I will get to talk to this young fellow again and perhaps the subject will come up. After all, he is a human being and therefore has a volitional conceptual consciousness. so he might be amenable to reason.

I had occasion to mention this notion that humans have a volitional conceptual consciousness to an attorney who was raised Catholic but although he still goes to church and takes his two kids to church, he says he no longer believes the Dogma. He appreciated that it is a very hopeful idea that everyone retains the aspect of volition regarding their attribute of conceptual thought.

I am not an academic by a long shot but it is tempting to write a book about such things if I can find the time. All these best sellers lately by Sam Harris and Dennett or Dawkins which lambast religion suggest that there may be some openness to a fresh look especially regarding child rearing. After all the authors have not been assassinated, yet. I would rather focus on the effect of ideas on a child. Parents seem more concerned about nutrition, what to feed their kids, and just continue to perpetuate ideas which can be traced back to antiquity without much question. Their reasons for doing so are flimsy.

galt

Edited by galtgulch