Doctor Who

Fran

Doctor Who is definitely my all-time favourite programme.

Having grown-up watching it from behind the sofa; I was overjoyed that they brought it back in 2005. [it's pitched at family viewing.]

Why do I like Doctor Who?

A larger-than-life hero (the Doctor) who travels in time and space (back in 1963 when it first came out, time-travel was still considered possible), and saves the world using just his brains, guts, heart, relationship-skills and a sonic screwdriver.

It's a positive, optimistic programme with usually a happy-ending.

It has some memorable monsters - daleks and cybermen being the ones most people know.

The Doctor, being a Timelord and not a human, can regenerate whenever a new actor replaces the old one, which is clever way of avoiding continuity problems. Each new Doctor has a different personality.

In the new series, the Doctor's companions are transformed by their time spent travelling with him, i.e. he has an overall positive effect on them.

His 'space ship', the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space) is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside :blink:

The cast, crew and writers for Doctor Who all love the programme and this comes across in the episodes.

It's not gratuitously violent.

Edited by Fran

Doctor Who is definitely my all-time favourite programme.

Having grown-up watching it from behind the sofa; I was overjoyed that they brought it back in 2005. [it's pitched at family viewing.]

Why do I like Doctor Who?

A larger-than-life hero (the Doctor) who travels in time and space (back in 1963 when it first came out, time-travel was still considered possible), and saves the world using just his brains, guts, heart, relationship-skills and a sonic screwdriver.

It's a positive, optimistic programme with usually a happy-ending.

It has some memorable monsters - daleks and cybermen being the ones most people know.

The Doctor, being a Timelord and not a human, can regenerate whenever a new actor replaces the old one, which is clever way of avoiding continuity problems. Each new Doctor has a different personality.

In the new series, the Doctor's companions are transformed by their time spent travelling with him, i.e. he has an overall positive effect on them.

His 'space ship', the TARDIS (Time And Relative Dimension In Space) is bigger on the inside than it is on the outside :blink:

The cast, crew and writers for Doctor Who all love the programme and this comes across in the episodes.

It's not gratuitously violent.

I am one such fan! Without "Doctor Who" there'd be no "Quantum Leap," which was also an excellent sci-fi show with a time-travel premise.

I used to love it back in the Tom Baker era (showing my age, I know) - even had a cheesy little schoolboy crush on Sarah Jane Smith! I did see one of the episodes with Christopher Eccleston which I thought was fairly cool.

I keep picturing Alan Rickman as potentially a pretty good Doctor.

Also a long-time fan.

Long heard of it, and was thrilled many years back with the local PBS station started to carry the Tom Baker episodes. They later did the Jon Pertwee (a close second), Peter Davison, some of the first and second Doctors, Colin Baker, and later Sylvester McCoy (but was having problems seeing all his episodes).

Taped the Paul McGann movie.

And I've been watching the new series on SciFi Channel. Waiting for them to start the next series of the David Tennent Doctor.