Home Fitness or Gym

CNA

~ My exercise regime is...

...watching others 'exercise' (for some [statistical, no doubt, considering posts herein] reason, most happen to be female.)

~ I'm almost up to the level of watching them 'cool down'; man, this stuff is hard work!

LLAP

J:D

My motto is: no pain...No pain!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On realising that I'm not a competitive sports person, I can look for other sports that are more about personal achievement, rather than being in a team.

Fran, are there any rock climbing possibilities for you there in Cyprus? It is a non-competitive sport, and I think there is a lot of rock on your island.

-Ross Barlow.

Thanks for the suggestion, Ross. I haven't seen anything in Cyprus but I have been rock climbing before - does wonders for my fear of heights! :) Rock climbing is one of those things that I enjoy doing in a group, but wouldn't want to do on my own. I like abseiling down the best :)

Thanks for the suggestion, Ross. I haven't seen anything in Cyprus but I have been rock climbing before - does wonders for my fear of heights! :) Rock climbing is one of those things that I enjoy doing in a group, but wouldn't want to do on my own. I like abseiling down the best :)

Cycling is my sport. I can't stand exercise if I don't go from point A to point B.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanting to lose a few pounds I contacted a friend of mine, a former pro body-builder, several montgs ago. For 3 weeks I met him at the gym, almost daily, and followed his training techniques. He split up the weight training in to 3 different sessions per week, hitting most of the muscle groups. 60 second rest between sets and NO REST between excercises. This keeps the heart rate up.

His recommended eating plan was mostly lean protein (chicken breast, tuna, turkey, egg whites) and no carbs after 5PM. The only carbs allowed were vegetables and a small am't of fruit early in the day. He also insisted I drink a gal. of water daily (3 qts for women). He also said 1 day per week is to be a "cheat day" . ANYTHING on that day is ok to eat..

I went from a 36 waist with 19% body fat to a 33 waist and 8% in 8 weeks! Amazing!!

Not wanting to live on tuna and chicken breast the rest of my life I have

modified my diet to include a small am't of junk (tasty) food.

I'm not as lean now as I was after the 8 week training but comfortable and happy with a 34 in. waist and 12% body fat. I still do the weights regularly and some aerobics on the off days.

Wanting to lose a few pounds I contacted a friend of mine, a former pro body-builder, several montgs ago. For 3 weeks I met him at the gym, almost daily, and followed his training techniques. He split up the weight training in to 3 different sessions per week, hitting most of the muscle groups. 60 second rest between sets and NO REST between excercises. This keeps the heart rate up.

Do you have any more details on the specific weight training exercises?

Sounds great, if you can find a time at the gym when you don't have to wait for the weight machines; sometimes there are lines, so one's heart and lung activity go down waiting between machines.

His recommended eating plan was mostly lean protein (chicken breast, tuna, turkey, egg whites) and no carbs after 5PM. The only carbs allowed were vegetables and a small am't of fruit early in the day. He also insisted I drink a gal. of water daily (3 qts for women). He also said 1 day per week is to be a "cheat day" . ANYTHING on that day is ok to eat..

What about fats? Any limitations on those?

Judith

Judith,

Nuts, acocados & olive oil are "good" fats. A small amount, since they are high in calories, are ok to have.Stay away from the trans fats and saturated fats (animal & dairy).

As for the specific weight traing excercises, these would be a good start:: All are 3 sets to 10-12 reps with 1 warm-up set (8 reps). The weight should be enough so you cannot do more than 12 reps.

Ask a trainer to show you how to properly do these.

Day 1:

Biceps-Seated dumbell curls, palms up. Seated dumbell curls, palms in.

Triceps-Standing rope pull-downs. Skull crushers (lay down on flat bench with barbell).

Abs-Crunches. Reverse crunches-both on incline bench.

Shoulders-Seated dumbell presses. Seated dumbell lateral raises.

Day 2:

Back-Seated back extensions. Seated cable pull-downs. Rows.

Chest-Bench presses. Flys.

Day 3

Legs-Squats. Lunges. Seated leg extensions. Leg curls. Calf raises (seated or standing).

Note: if you have the time you can do 20 minutes of cardio AFTER the weghts. If not, do 45 minutes on the off-days. After 8 weeks of the above you can add 1 new excercise to each muscle group. By then you will also have to add more weight to each excercise, since it will become easier to do 12 reps.

The diet is at least 50% of the program so watch your total calorie consumption. About 10 calories for each lb. you want to be at. If you want to be at, say, 130 lbs, kepp your calories at approx 1,300.

Don't forge to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Nuts, acocados & olive oil are "good" fats. A small amount, since they are high in calories, are ok to have.Stay away from the trans fats and saturated fats (animal & dairy).

Oi. I can't imagine life without dairy products! That's very hard.

As for the specific weight traing excercises, these would be a good start:: All are 3 sets to 10-12 reps with 1 warm-up set (8 reps). The weight should be enough so you cannot do more than 12 reps.

Ask a trainer to show you how to properly do these.

Day 1:

Biceps-Seated dumbell curls, palms up. Seated dumbell curls, palms in.

Triceps-Standing rope pull-downs. Skull crushers (lay down on flat bench with barbell).

Abs-Crunches. Reverse crunches-both on incline bench.

Shoulders-Seated dumbell presses. Seated dumbell lateral raises.

Day 2:

Back-Seated back extensions. Seated cable pull-downs. Rows.

Chest-Bench presses. Flys.

Day 3

Legs-Squats. Lunges. Seated leg extensions. Leg curls. Calf raises (seated or standing).

These sound like free weight exercises, which I've never done before; I'm familiar with the Nautilus-type machines. But then, I can ask a trainer about it. I'm about to start some kind of program in a month or so, and the YMCA down the street must have a collection of free weights.

Don't forge to drink plenty of water throughout the day.

Well THAT part, at least, I already do!

Thanks for the advice.

Judith

Edited by Judith

~ There's a new exercise regime (paid programming for tapes, of course) shown on TV lately, showing 'how to exercise WITHOUT MOVING!!!'

~ Trust me on this. It works. I've seen results on others. Truly. You WILL lose flab and solidify muscle...if you do 'it' enough (for you) times per day.

~ They call it 'Dynametrics.'

~ 20-yrs ago, they called it 'Isometrics.'

~ Nuthin' new under the sun, all said and done.

LLAP

J:D

• 1 month later...

I've just discovered "Cross Fit": http://www.crossfit.com/

Complete workouts, training tips, equipment sources, videos, all on their website. Tons of information.

Their philosophy of high intensity, short workouts with full body movements matches my experience and preferences perfectly. I was lucky enough to find an associated gym within fifteen minutes of my house. Bliss.

I've just discovered "Cross Fit": http://www.crossfit.com/

Complete workouts, training tips, equipment sources, videos, all on their website. Tons of information.

Their philosophy of high intensity, short workouts with full body movements matches my experience and preferences perfectly. I was lucky enough to find an associated gym within fifteen minutes of my house. Bliss.

Aerobic fitness requires more than fifteen minutes a day. One needs a combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise, the latter to maintain or promote the growth of muscle tissue. Aerobic fitness can be achieved by walking. However swimming, bike riding, running, skip rope are fine also. Walking is low impact and less likely to produce injuries to the joints (especially the knees). Swimming is the premier non-impact aerobic exercise but it requires access to a swimming pool or a large body of water.

One can also do push-ups, sit-ups and other abdominal exercises as well as stretches without special equipment. Most resistance exercise requires some kind of equipment such as free weights or machines. An hour a day of vigorous exercise will keep you fit for life, provided you eat right.

The body is an adding machine. If calories eaten exceed total calories burned by exercise and baseline metabolism, you gain weight. The scale does not lie. If the weight gain is in muscle mass, that is not so bad. If it is blubber, you have a problem.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
Victor -- you're THAT pressed for time, man, you got weird priorities.

Angie -- Darden's books generally carry diet info as well as exercise.

LOL.... Out of boredom I had this window open and was scanning through threads.

All I can say is......ha. lol "wait a minute...there's a little bit of drool....let me get napkin"