Home Fitness or Gym

CNA

I have decided to join Weight Watchers at work and lose some weight. It is pretty expensive, but I need a disciplined approach and I know that all this extra weight is aggravating my back and foot problems. They integrate exercise into the program as well as diet. Has anyone here been involved with WW?

My mom is doing WW and she has had great results. I mean, even I have noticed that she's lost weight (though I don't recall just how much). She's lost weight with strictly dieting, and I'm sure that if she'd add some form of exercise to that she would lose even more. As far as I know, it's nice to go to the meetings because there are other people there who are trying to lose as well and they can give you tips on healthy snacks and that type of thing. Also, my mom says that knowing you have to weigh in in front of everyone is a motivator to stick to your diet and lose weight. :lol:

Last summer, my sister lost about 15 pounds. She had a 'regular' kind of work-out (whatever that means...weights, sit-ups, etc.), but she also did a bellydancing video. She even got this really annoying jingly skirt to go with it. LOL. That gave her great results. I even tried it once (HAH!) and I could feel it immediately. It's quite hard at first, but you apparently get the hang of it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I can't believe I am going to write about this on OL of all places. A fitness "forum" I can see but not here on OL. I am a proponent of cardio for weight loss and I have very good reason for saying so. Even with weight lifting, you get some form of cardio exercise, heart rate increases, breathing increases, etc. I mostly noticed this when doing squats with about 80 or so pounds of weight, very slow repetitions, then an isometric contraction which I would do about 70 of these when I was exercising heavily and in very good shape such as Bob is. But I noticed much "bulk" being put onto my thighs, hips, etc. It gave me one hell of a butt but it thickened me up. I do agree to an extent that cardio isn't absolutely imperative when it comes to weight loss as diet alone can do this but I doubt very very seriously that I could have lost the amount of weight I did with no cardio involved which there was intensive cardio exercise the first 9 months.

The key to exercising and the benefits of it is consistency, not how hard you push yourself and how much you load up, which this can be detrimental to the success of an individual taking on an exercise routine for the first time, especially if the routine is too hard. Nice and easy at first, then build it up as stregth and endurance increases. I can see for a bodybuilder and wanting more muscle mass, loading up with heavier and heavier weights will be crucial, as I noticed this when starting out with my squats, sit ups, pushups, etc. Once I reached a plateau with my squats and it became more of maintenance than actually lifting my rearend even more, I would load up a bit more weight to push the muscles even harder which obviously did give me a bit more back there. :) Also if you push yourself to hard surpassing what you normally work out to, you may find that you are tired all the time, completely burned out feeling. Your body isn't getting enough recovery time in. This happened a few times when I would want to increase the load a bit more but it was too much. Consistency is crucial in reaping the benefits of exercising. But if you are interested in more muscle mass, then of course you are going to want to load up and push the muscles.

As for the cardio exercise for weight loss, yikes, I have one hell of a story to tell. I was thin when I became pregnant with my son. But being diabetic really took a toll on weight maintenance during it as well as being put on very strict bed rest at about 22 weeks gestation which also killed the weight maintenance. Long story short, I gained in between 90 to 100 pounds with my pregnancy. Oh, hell no. I had never been heavy in my life up until getting pregnant. I had a C-section and was told not to exercise until it was between 10 to 13 weeks post op. Due to being diabetic, they wanted to make sure I was completely healed. I was dieting then and did drop "some" weight. But as soon as they gave me the clearance, I took up cardio only and seriously determined to get my body back to what it was before, including a very strict diet. I hit quite a few plateaus. About every ten pounds of weight loss, I would hit a plateau which was a pain in the butt but figured out what worked best for me to overcome the plateau and it worked every time to overcome it. I was dropping weight very fast due to the cardio and very healthy diet.

I dropped 80 pounds in 5 months. By the time Chris was 1 year old, I had dropped over 100 pounds. I did not lift one weight during this time. It was strictly cardio. I didn't want to bulk up with muscle with weights or what have you, etc., as I had noticed this happened when taking on an exercise routine when I was much younger. Of course, I was being followed by my doctor during this time. Of course, you can lose weight with diet alone. But if you have weight to drop and want serious results as I did, take up a cardio routine and a healthy but strict diet. Hell, I started exercising with cardio only and diet when Chris was about 3 months old. So from the time I started exercising, it took me about 9 months to drop over 100 pounds. There are reasons why so many fitness experts, doctors, etc., tell you about the benefits of cardio exercise when it comes to weight loss. It's been proven time and time again. I'm living proof of it. I doubt very very seriously I would have lost the amount of weight I did and in the amount of time I did if cardio wasn't used. If you want it bad enough, nothing will stand in your way to achieve your goal and you will plow over any obstacle to attain it.

Bob, congratulations on the fitness dedication. My hat goes off to you and it is nice to have someone posting who is also into exercise as much as I have been. I know how hard it can be. For me, the toughest part of exercise is actually getting a routine started and staying consistent with it. But man, once you start seeing results, those results push you and keeps you motivated to go back for more because you want more results. You know that all your hard work and effort is paying off !!! Ah, it's so wonderful to see your old body coming back. It's so damn exciting and exhilirating.

There's more I want to add but don't have time now, plus this is getting long already. But I'm sure I will make clarifications and add ons at some point.

Angie

Damn, good job Ange!

Cardio is good for losing weight, but also good for keeping your heart healthy. Unfortunately, I have a hard time with cardio. I have weak lungs and a hatred for all things cardio. What cardio exercises would you recommend, Ange (and everyone else)?

Also, Ange, you mentioned bulking up from lifting weights. I am aware that that can happen and I definitely do not want to bulk up. I'd like to stretch/tone my muscles, but I don't know how to do that. Any recommendations?

I don't want any junk in the trunk either. LAWL.

So hard to start a routine...plus, I don't want to wash my sweaty clothes! :lol:

Kori, you might try lighter weights or resistance, and higher numbers of repetitions. To get a cardio benefit, try to do enough reps to get your heart and breathing up, then move right away to the next exercise, with very little rest in between.

The resistance will give you tone; the lighter weights won't bulk you up; and moving quickly from one exercise to the next will keep up your heart rate and give you cardio benefit.

Another thing: If weight is a concern, also try drinking lots of cold water during the day. Don't ask me why. Just try it.

Bruce Lee described running as the King of Exercises and he wasn't wrong. Brisk walking and hiking are a close second. If you haven't done it or are starting after a long layoff (perhaps have a few extra pounds) be sure to strengthen your leg muscle first. Lunges, one leg squats, stair stepping are some options. Do plenty of reps, start with small movements, (short steps, shallow lunge), work your way up as you get stronger and more confident. One leg squats, same thing, dip just a little, do plenty of reps, go deeper as you get stronger. Try not to hang onto anything while doing one leg squats, keeping your balance works the muscles around your ankles. Just improving your balance helps prevent injury. A good source of advice and ideas for fitness exercises for running and walking are triathelete magazines, ballet magazines, skiing magazines. Every so often they have an issue devoted to strengthening the muscles around the knee to prevent injury.

There's nothing wrong with being strong, it doesn't make a girl look less like a girl and it doesn't mean you will be less flexible. Reasonable weights, slow reps, good form. Try to pick the exercises that use the most movement and involve the most muscle groups. I used to teach fitness and self defense for several years to kids and adults, both sexes. I noticed young women who had kids were much stronger than the girls still in school. They got strong by lugging their kids around!

For fun, read this:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?art...04-046-training

Damn, good job Ange!

Cardio is good for losing weight, but also good for keeping your heart healthy. Unfortunately, I have a hard time with cardio. I have weak lungs and a hatred for all things cardio. What cardio exercises would you recommend, Ange (and everyone else)?

Also, Ange, you mentioned bulking up from lifting weights. I am aware that that can happen and I definitely do not want to bulk up. I'd like to stretch/tone my muscles, but I don't know how to do that. Any recommendations?

I don't want any junk in the trunk either. LAWL.

So hard to start a routine...plus, I don't want to wash my sweaty clothes! :lol:

Thank you, Girlie Girl !! I am the same way. Cardio is not an exercise I particularly care for but ya gotta do what ya gotta do sometimes and I wanted the weight off quickly as it was wreaking major havoc on my health. Robert is correct about lighter weights and reps. I originally started out with about 40 pounds of weight for my squats and increased reps and it toned my butt up and didn't put bulk on but my butt could stand a bit more help. So I gradually increased it and this is what started to thicken me up a bit but it raised the butt up like you wouldn't believe. Ask Victor and he'll tell you. LOL I've sent Victor pictures spanning from when I was a little girl to the more recent photos so he's seen much of my growth from childhood until now. Since you are a tiny little thing anyway and your weight is good, I think you only want toning, etc. Am I right? If so, I can recommend some videos that are not full blown cardio. They concentrate more on toning and strength building and it will give you thighs and a butt like you wouldn't believe. It's what I used then and use now. All of these have reviews so you can read to see if you like them or not. The videos are cheap because they are older videos but man, they work like you wouldn't believe. I've been in touch with Tamilee Webb over the years and she is working on putting these videos on DVD. She's put some on DVD but hasn't done these as of yet. Yeah, don't laugh, I ultimately got in touch with her and thanked her for her work, her videos, etc. But for now, I hope you have a VHS. If not, I am sure you can go down and pick up a super cheap one somewhere still.

This video is hard to find but is marvelous and will definitely give you results like you wouldn't believe Original Thighs of Steel

Another beginner tape but is great and will definitely give you results Buns of Steel 5 - beginners

This one will give you a great workout and is extremely effective but can be difficult and will kick your ass if you give it your all and carry 5 pound hand weights in each hand. She uses the stepper but can still be done if you don't have a stepper. The reverse lunges off of a stepper or platform that can be varied in height but I personally prefer the maximum height on my stepper which 12 inches up is a freakin' doozy, especially when she goes to the one legged reverse lunges off of that thing. Oh, man, it can offer you cardio for sure depending on how much of a cardio you want to put into it but will do some serious toning. Buns of Steel 4 - Advanced

Since you already drink tons of water which is very good, try eating watermelon when in season as it is a natural diuretic and will clean your system out and will help with any water retention you might have. Also vitamin E and Omega 3 will help and it will give you great results with skin, hair, nails, etc., especially if you have dry skin which in winter is a given, plus many cardiovascular benefits as well.

Edited by CNA

Bruce Lee described running as the King of Exercises and he wasn't wrong. Brisk walking and hiking are a close second. If you haven't done it or are starting after a long layoff (perhaps have a few extra pounds) be sure to strengthen your leg muscle first. Lunges, one leg squats, stair stepping are some options. Do plenty of reps, start with small movements, (short steps, shallow lunge), work your way up as you get stronger and more confident. One leg squats, same thing, dip just a little, do plenty of reps, go deeper as you get stronger. Try not to hang onto anything while doing one leg squats, keeping your balance works the muscles around your ankles. Just improving your balance helps prevent injury. A good source of advice and ideas for fitness exercises for running and walking are triathelete magazines, ballet magazines, skiing magazines. Every so often they have an issue devoted to strengthening the muscles around the knee to prevent injury.

There's nothing wrong with being strong, it doesn't make a girl look less like a girl and it doesn't mean you will be less flexible. Reasonable weights, slow reps, good form. Try to pick the exercises that use the most movement and involve the most muscle groups. I used to teach fitness and self defense for several years to kids and adults, both sexes. I noticed young women who had kids were much stronger than the girls still in school. They got strong by lugging their kids around!

For fun, read this:

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle.do?art...04-046-training

Exactly, don't mess with new moms as they will kick your butt and it is from lugging the kids around!! so very true.

Those lunges are killer and do wonders for butt, thighs, hips, tummy, lower back....it's just an overall great lower body workout. What I read so far of that article, it looks really interesting and some pretty serious squats...my god. When I get more time, I'll read it all the way through.

This is a great thread, and it is very interesting to read of different experiences and advice about fitness. As a “fitness nut” myself, I have thought a lot about these things and do have some of my own thoughts to share.

To answer Angie’s original question (“home fitness or gym, what’s your routine?”), I have never liked gyms because I like to have my own independent schedule based on how I feel. E.g., if I feel like working out at 2am I don’t want to be dependent on a gym’s hours, etc. Plus I am an unreformed loner. As for my other thoughts on this thread, I will split them up into several shorter posts rather than one excessively long one.

First of all, I have a lot of injuries and health problems, and I have been learning to work around them. Kat, you said you have back problems, and I can empathize with this. I am 57 and I have a long history of FMS (fibromyalgia syndrome) with extreme sore spots all over my body that become easily injured, especially my upper back. I have to be very careful, as I feel very fragile. For FMS management, regular exercise and adequate rest are imperative, but injuries will often set me back for months.

Re: aerobic workouts. With a heel spur, as well as ankle and knee injuries, I cannot run anymore. But I am an avid hiker (as well as backpacker and climber when I can). Two good supplements to walking routines are Heavy Hands (or equivalent small handheld weights) and a treadmill (more about this one later).

Re: Heavy Hands or hand-weights. The principle here is to use a carefully selected weight (essentially a dumbbell of any kind) in each hand as an aerobic driver, either while walking, running or even standing still. Recruit the arms to do aerobic work along with your legs. I swear by this exercise.

With my injury-prone back, I used only a 3-pound dumbbell in each hand while hiking either a village street or a forest trail for at least 45 minutes. The results were always amazing. It added a great aerobic workout to what would normally only be a walk. It added flexibility and tone to my arms, shoulders and torso, and it also helped the legs dramatically. After several weeks of this routine, I found that I had an incredible “spring” to my steps as I went up stairways. It is a full-body workout, and it helped to keep my back from getting injured in daily tasks. And you can really lose weight with this.

As you walk up a hill, you do not need to swing the hand-weights much because your legs are giving you the aerobic workout as they fight gravity going up the grade. As you reach a level section of the trail/sidewalk, you can start swinging the weights as you walk in order to keep the heart pumping. As you go down a hill, you really start pumping the weights to keep up the aerobics.

My weight movements while walking were varied according to terrain. E.g., I would hold the weights next to my shoulders and pump straight up, one arm at a time, and I would vary the synchronization of arms and leg stride. There were many more movements I used, and it almost became a dance in its variety. E.g., shadow-boxing, arms circling in a windmill style, etc. Sometimes I wanted to be out of sight of people because it may have looked quite bizarre. If anyone is interested, contact me by PM and I can give more details of my successful routines and movements with hand-weights.

“Heavy Hands” is a brand name of, I think, AMF, but any small hand weights will do. The beauty of using these is that a small enough weight resists the possibility of injury but you can up the weight load as you find your true level. The AMF weights were so good because you can adjust the weight per hand up or down by one pound increments. Each handle was a 1-pound weight, foam-padded with screw threads on the ends for higher weight addition. You could screw on the attachments for 2-pounds per hand or for 3-pounds per hand (my ideal level) or for up more and more. Well worth the investment.

I have even done Tai Chi with light hand-weights as a variation on that great exercise/meditation. They were a great off-season buildup for rock climbing and backpacking. Primarily they kept up my aerobic fitness and flexibility, and it kept my weight down, all in a fun workout.

More later.

-Ross Barlow.

I want to sing the praises of Treadmills. They are more than worth any expense, as they can be an absolutely great workout routine. I recommend the treadmill as the number one piece of health and fitness equipment for your home. A good 30 minute or hour routine is fantastic and does not have to be boring.

Set your treadmill up in front of a TV/DVD setup (or have your TV/DVD on a wheeled cart so you can easily and quickly get it into your workout room, etc.). Watch the news or your favorite movies while getting life-saving exercise. Here, my wife and I have our treadmill set up in our living room in front of the TV, and, though visitors may think it odd, we do have our priorities straight.

Have a good reading light over your treadmill. Most treadmills come with a place to set a book, but I have never found them to be adequate. So I improvised. I made an alteration so I could put a big 3ft x 4ft slab of plywood in front of me as a platform for books, magazines, school papers, etc. To support this plywood surface, I cut off a broomstick and duct-taped two sections of it to the treadmill’s front posts so that it formed a tripod with the treadmill’s highest point in its front.

When I was a teacher, I spread out student papers for grading in front of me while I walked the machine. I thus turned the most boring activity imaginable (i.e., grading over a hundred student papers and tests) into productive exercise time. It actually made me look forward to the odious task.

Even a cheap treadmill will allow you to run very fast or just do a brisk walk, whatever speed you want. The feature of incline-variation is my favorite.

Wear a good walking and/or running shoe, keep a water bottle close, and don’t forget the TV remote. If you want to use hand-weights/ Heavy Hands while walking on a treadmill, it works very well, but be sure and get the wider and longer models so you will not hit the treadmill hand-rails while swinging the weights. Wider and longer models are also recommended if you are a large person with either long legs or a wide straddle/width of foot placement.

My old treadmill in the States went to my sister’s family back there, and I am really happy to know that they are all using it rigorously during the days of being snowbound or kept from outdoor walking by rain. They have a big-screen TV with DVD right in front of it, and, being movie fanatics, they have an excuse to use it anytime.

Here in Thailand, I am living in an urban environment for the first time in my life, and I would go crazy without the treadmill we bought as soon as I got here. I still walk and hike outdoors, but the blazing heat and humidity out there make my feet sore, so indoor workouts can be done with regularity.

-Ross Barlow.

Kori, you might try lighter weights or resistance, and higher numbers of repetitions. To get a cardio benefit, try to do enough reps to get your heart and breathing up, then move right away to the next exercise, with very little rest in between.

The resistance will give you tone; the lighter weights won't bulk you up; and moving quickly from one exercise to the next will keep up your heart rate and give you cardio benefit.

Another thing: If weight is a concern, also try drinking lots of cold water during the day. Don't ask me why. Just try it.

About the bulking up thing...

Very few women (but not zero) ever and I mean EVER have to worry about putting on too much muscle. Women simply do not have the hormonal environment to build bulk like men. Maybe one in a thousand - maybe. However, often exercise can increase appetite and often the "bulking" perceived is simply nothing more than eating too much and gaining weight.

Maybe the average woman can gain something like 5 or 10 pounds of muscle mass in a couple years of training. Generally, this makes them look much better (youthful) in my opinion, certainly not bulky.

Bulking up is a much overblown fear IMHO.

Bob

About the bulking up thing...

Very few women (but not zero) ever and I mean EVER have to worry about putting on too much muscle. Women simply do not have the hormonal environment to build bulk like men. Maybe one in a thousand - maybe. However, often exercise can increase appetite and often the "bulking" perceived is simply nothing more than eating too much and gaining weight.

Maybe the average woman can gain something like 5 or 10 pounds of muscle mass in a couple years of training. Generally, this makes them look much better (youthful) in my opinion, certainly not bulky.

Bulking up is a much overblown fear IMHO.

Bob

Hehehehehehe....I do have to laugh a bit because this perception is coming from being in a woman's body. Men don't perceive it as "bulking" up because they don't "see" that much change in a woman's body. However we are our own worst critic. Mind you, you need to tell that to my ass and jeans. LOL I noticed a big difference when I wasn't putting on muscle mass as compared to when I noticed it. My jeans fit wonderfully. But as soon as I started squatting with heavier weights, I started to notice that my jeans around my waist, hips, thighs, etc., were starting to feel tighter, meaning I was putting on muscle mass and was bulking up as to a woman's standards. Well, after doing this for quite sometime, I actually had to change the size of my jeans. As for my weight, my eating habits were strict anyway because of health condition, I didn't yo-yo as is so common. My weight stabilized and my weight only fluctuated between 128 to 131. Every time I went into the doc's, it stayed within this few pound range. So I wasn't overeating and putting on fat weight. In reality, I was bulking up with more muscle mass. But what a man percieves and what a woman percieves will be very different. As well as living in our own bodies, what we are eating, how we are training and being monitored, etc., will give us a good idea as to what we are putting on around our waists, hips, etc. and the changes we feel and see. This bulking up is not a big deal for men but it is an issue for some women. Even though I was small compared to others, the bulking up was substantial enough to change the size of my jeans. Now mind you, I didn't mind this too much. It was just a pain in my ass because I was "fitting" differently and became more difficult to find clothing that would fit my ass. LOL So it does become an issue in that sense for women. But mind you, both body types were still nice to have.

But you also have to rememeber that I am a bit different than others when it comes to being monitored more often, etc., because of a health condition, eating consistently with a strict diet, and so forth. The "bulking" up was noticeable. But a complaint that men would have when it came to their partners, nah, highly unlikely. But a complaint women would have for themselves personally, most definitely.

Edited by CNA

Hey Bob, I agree entirely with you about women and putting on body mass through weightlifting. Without gargling steroids, women just can't look like men.

Still, as far as the debate, we'd better cut our losses here. If we try to debate women about their perceived body images, we're destined to LOSE, man!

BTW, why is it that all the best-looking women are the MOST hypercritical of their own appearance?

Nah, I withdraw the question, or else we'll hijack this thread!

Hey Bob, I agree entirely with you about women and putting on body mass through weightlifting. Without gargling steroids, women just can't look like men.

Still, as far as the debate, we'd better cut our losses here. If we try to debate women about their perceived body images, we're destined to LOSE, man!

BTW, why is it that all the best-looking women are the MOST hypercritical of their own appearance?

Nah, I withdraw the question, or else we'll hijack this thread!

Now, now, you guys. Let's not just say that women are the only one's that are critical of their appearance. Every single man I have known in my life has also had body image issues. Not just women but men as well. I hear it all the time from men that I know that say, well, I need to lose a bit of weight or I need to exercise more, or their being shy when butt naked, or not wanting to take their shirts off because of the belly, or their wanting to get in shape before going out on a date with someone and so on and so on. So it's not just women. It's also men that are critical of their bodies. You guys have an image of what you like and what you are used to as well. So now, now, let's not just lay this on women be it very pretty girls such as Halle Berry or unattractive girls that have body image concerns. Men are in the same boat as well. I've known too many that have complained at one time or another about something or other with their body or being concerned about how they look. Tsk, tsk, you guys.

Yep, while it's true that women have the stereotype of being more critical/insecure with their bodies, I don't think men are far off these days. I see a lot of men who are very conscious of body image - in a big way. There's a good deal of pressure for men to look good too it seems.

Bob

Well, I dug out and dusted off my old Richard Simmons video, Sweatin' to the Oldies 3, and popped it in. It was a hoot. The 80s outfits were just to damned funny and Richard Simmons is such a nutty happy guy. Many people find him annoying, but he makes me smile. It was a fun workout with music more to my liking than most workout music. One thing about gyms and fitness videos I don't like is the thumpy clubby music. I'm a rock-n-roller, what can I say?

Does anyone else besides Richard Simmons make exercise videos without club or hip-hop type music?

Kat

Well, I dug out and dusted off my old Richard Simmons video, Sweatin' to the Oldies 3, and popped it in. It was a hoot. The 80s outfits were just to damned funny and Richard Simmons is such a nutty happy guy. Many people find him annoying, but he makes me smile. It was a fun workout with music more to my liking than most workout music. One thing about gyms and fitness videos I don't like is the thumpy clubby music. I'm a rock-n-roller, what can I say?

Does anyone else besides Richard Simmons make exercise videos without club or hip-hop type music?

Kat

Kat,

That is so awesome !! So how are you feeling? I hope wonderful !! You know, I have the same problem you do with fitness vidoes and the cheesiness that goes along with it. Oy. Once I learn the steps, etc., I will turn the TV down and turn the radio on or use my Ipod. You know, I can tell you worse than the thumpy clubby music that is so often on in gyms, etc. Tamilee is horrendous when it comes to workout music. She's got the whole porno tunes goin' in most videos I have of hers. :lol: Oh, it is freakin' hilarious. But I rarely listen to her now while the videos are playing. I've got my Ipod strapped to my arm. Tamilee does have a few videos that are set to Motown Hits and she also has a few that are set to Rock n Roll hits. Ah, nice change from the porno music she normally has going. LMAO

By the way, I posted a few more recipes in the Kitchen. They're pretty good. At least I like them and they will fill you up.

Well, it's official. Yesterday the new 15-week session of Weight Watchers started and I had my first weigh-in. I've already lost about 10 pounds. :) I have been loosely following the program for about two weeks now and just received my membership materials yesterday. I was surprised to learn that I only get 20 points a day and that is the tough part. I'll get there though. Keep those light and low fat recipes coming in the kitchen.

We also bought a piece of exercise equipment and have been using it for about a week now. Its called a Gazelle Sprintmaster. This is a great little machine with and I like it much bettter than anything I have used at a gym. We keep the tension on, otherwise you will feel like you are flying instead of exercising. Also, Tony Little isn't nearly as annoying on the DVD as he seems on TV. If you are interested in getting one, shop HSN via i-give and use the coupon code for the best price.

My Gazelle makes me happy!!!

GazSprintMaster_DVD_200.gif

Well, it's official. Yesterday the new 15-week session of Weight Watchers started and I had my first weigh-in. I've already lost about 10 pounds. :) I have been loosely following the program for about two weeks now and just received my membership materials yesterday. I was surprised to learn that I only get 20 points a day and that is the tough part. I'll get there though. Keep those light and low fat recipes coming in the kitchen.

IMHO, Weight Watchers is a decent program. However, in my experience (and the science supports this more and more) you'll end up with a better result and an easier road getting there if you go higher protein. Staying within the points limits is fine, but keep the protein high. Below is an abstract (very recent) that illustrates why this is so important - LBM (lean body mass) preservation and satiety. Below is almost exactly what the WW program will do for you in terms of energy restriction, so this study is highly applicable.

Higher Protein Intake Preserves Lean Mass and Satiety with Weight Loss in Pre-obese and Obese Women.

Obesity (Silver Spring). 2007 Feb;15(2):421-9.

Leidy HJ, Carnell NS, Mattes RD, Campbell WW.

Purdue University, 700 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907. hleidy@purdue.edu.

OBJECTIVE: To examine the effects of dietary protein and obesity classification on energy-restriction-induced changes in weight, body composition, appetite, mood, and cardiovascular and kidney health. RESEARCH METHODS AND PROCEDURES: Forty-six women, ages 28 to 80, BMI 26 to 37 kg/m(2), followed a 12-week 750-kcal/d energy-deficit diet containing higher protein (HP, 30% protein) or normal protein (NP, 18% protein) and were retrospectively subgrouped according to obesity classification [pre-obese (POB), BMI = 26 to 29.9 kg/m(2); obese (OB), BMI = 30 to 37 kg/m(2)). RESULTS: All subjects lost weight, fat mass, and lean body mass (LBM; p < 0.001). With comparable weight loss, LBM losses were less in HP vs. NP (-1.5 +/- 0.3 vs. -2.8 +/- 0.5 kg; p < 0.05) and POB vs. OB (-1.2 +/- 0.3 vs. -2.9 +/- 0.4 kg; p < 0.005). The main effects of protein and obesity on LBM changes were independent and additive; POB-HP lost less LBM vs. OB-NP (p < 0.05). The energy-restriction-induced decline in satiety was less pronounced in HP vs. NP (p < 0.005). Perceived pleasure increased with HP and decreased with NP (p < 0.05). Lipid-lipoprotein profile and blood pressure improved and kidney function minimally changed with energy restriction (p < 0.05), independently of protein intake. DISCUSSION: Consuming a higher-protein diet and accomplishing weight loss before becoming obese help women preserve LBM. Use of a higher-protein diet also improves perceptions of satiety and pleasure during energy restriction.

We also bought a piece of exercise equipment and have been using it for about a week now. Its called a Gazelle Sprintmaster. This is a great little machine with and I like it much bettter than anything I have used at a gym. We keep the tension on, otherwise you will feel like you are flying instead of exercising. Also, Tony Little isn't nearly as annoying on the DVD as he seems on TV. If you are interested in getting one, shop HSN via i-give and use the coupon code for the best price.

My Gazelle makes me happy!!!

GazSprintMaster_DVD_200.gif

Kat,

Congrats on the 10 pounds already lost. Hell, before you know it, however much more you want to lose will be gone and you'll be at your goal weight. I'm proud of you and I'm excited for you. Me, you, and Kori, before we know it, will be Bootylicious !!! :wink: :wink: But wait, we're already Bootylicious !! :)

I've been a bit strapped for time. But when I get a little more time, I'll post some more recipes in the Kitchen.

Edited by CNA

Oh my gosh, Ange. I don't know if I want to be "Bootylicious"! LOL!

LOL. Hey, nothing wrong with being a Hottie and struttin' your stuff. I have to laugh though. Honey, I'm not talking about being skanky. I'm talking about being sexy and a hottie and being aware of it such as the videos implies and their struttin' their stuff. A lot of men I've personally known are intimidated by this. I had more to say and but gotta get to work. Damn, they just called me in. Oh, well, more later.

I used to have a very poor body image and saw exercise as a kind of punishment. I hated physical education at school as it was always competitive sports which I was not skilled at. I tried going to the gym but found it tedious after only a short while. So walking has been the most consisent form of exercise I've done over the years.

Since starting Tae Kwon-Do about 18 months ago, I realised something that sports fanatics have known all along - exercise doesn't have to be boring! Also, sparring seems to be the best aerobic exercise I've ever done in my entire life.

I'm going to take up dancing as this is also great fun and an excellent form of exercise. I used to do Yoga as well which I loved and want to get back into. I would also like to do Pilates as this is good for my back. If I can't find classes in Cyprus then these are the kind of things that are easy to do at home - dancing in particular, as all I have to find is some music I enjoy and dance to it - nobody will be watching me, so I don't have to worry about what I look like!

On realising that I'm not a competitive sports person, I can look for other sports that are more about personal achievement, rather than being in a team.