Cold remedies?

BAMF

There is a Mexican cure for a cold I used to use, but, alas, no longer.

Get to bed and cover up real well in lots of blankets. Place a sombrero at the foot of the bed. Set on a table beside the bed a jar of tequila and a bowl of cut limes. Bite a lime and drink some tequila. Then bite another lime and drink some more tequila. Then do it again, and again, and again...

When you see three sombreros at the foot of the bed, go to sleep. You will wake up cured.

Note - I can't say it ever worked for me because every time I tried, I forgot I was sick...

:)

Michael

The French version of that cure is a beret and a quart of Courvoisier.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not recommending this because I have no idea of the cause-and-effect relationship between Vitamin C and colds. But I'll tell you my experience. I had always had the usual twice-yearly colds when, on the advice of Durk Pearson, I began taking fairly large doses of Vitamin C. If I felt I was about to get a cold, I increased the dosage. This was about 25 years ago. I have not had a cold since.

Barbara

I'm not recommending this because I have no idea of the cause-and-effect relationship between Vitamin C and colds. But I'll tell you my experience. I had always had the usual twice-yearly colds when, on the advice of Durk Pearson, I began taking fairly large doses of Vitamin C. If I felt I was about to get a cold, I increased the dosage. This was about 25 years ago. I have not had a cold since.

Barbara

The world's foremost expert on Vitamin C, Arthur Robinson, says we don't know the mechanism of why C does what it does, whatever that is--that it may be a stimulant to the body to do things that benefit the body (hormesis) and if so there would be a tip-over point where it does more harm than good, and he cannot recommend more than 3-4 grams a day (should be taken every 6 hours as it is water soluble).

His research under Linius Pauling collected data that seemed to indicate that C accelerated cancer growth. Pauling kicked him out and destroyed years of data. Robinson successfully sued Pauling.

In my experience C will not cure a cold or alleviate its symptoms. Barbara is talking about not getting colds in the first place. That doesn't mean, though, that C won't cure a cold for colds are caused by a least 40 different viruses. 30 years ago I got rid of a cold through meditation, but have not been able to repeat the trick.

I have a cold right now and would love to expose Barbara to it to see if she'd get it! :devil: Just kidding; it wouldn't be scientific. :) But I think I'm going back to regular use of C; I don't neeed this crap.

--Brant

(edit): I just thought of something. Maybe I was exposed to my cold by reading this thread! That is, I got it electronically! Michael, you and Kat may have a lot to answer for!

Edited by Brant Gaede